What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tomikins confirmed today?

Blair

Coach
Michael Witt was playing above himself for us.

His goal kicking alone often won us games. Aiden Kirk was handily underrated too. That killer Witt try v the Storm in '08 was started by Kirk's tidy and urgent work in-goal. We should never forget little 'big' things like that. They were huge moments for our club.

Rich102

Staff member
This has to be a leg-pull. Right?

Sam Tomkins has signed a two-year deal to promote a mouthguard in the United Kingdom but is giving no indication if he will be around long enough to fulfil all his obligations.
The 24-year-old Wigan and England fullback is widely expected to join the New Zealand Warriors in the NRL after the World Cup in November and has also been tipped to join older brother Joel in rugby union.
His presence at Joel's club Saracens for his unveiling as the brand ambassador for the mouthguard company did nothing to end the speculation.
Tomkins maintained a flat refusal to discuss his future.
"I'm concentrating on playing for Wigan. We've a tough game against Leeds this week and we've the play-offs coming up," he said.
"Then there's the World Cup in November so I've a lot to think about and I'm not looking beyond this year."
Tomkins was happy to talk about the prospects of Wigan completing a rare trophy double and the excitement building ahead of the World Cup.
He has played in just one of his club's last eight Super League matches going back to June, further fuelling rumours of a move, but defied injury to help Wigan lift the Challenge Cup last month, scoring the final try of the 16-0 win over Hull at Wembley.
"It's not often a Challenge Cup final comes around," he said.
"You don't know when the next one will be so, if you get a chance to play, you put your hand up."
Hugely influential for his club, Tomkins could also hold the key to England's hopes of winning the World Cup, which starts on October 26.

http://home.nzcity.co.nz/news/article.aspx?id=173162&fm=newsmain,nrhl

vvvrulz

Coach
Michael Witt was playing above himself for us.

His goal kicking alone often won us games. Aiden Kirk was handily underrated too. That killer Witt try v the Storm in '08 was started by Kirk's tidy and urgent work in-goal. We should never forget little 'big' things like that. They were huge moments for our club.

That was part of the period where Witt, McKinnon, Kirk, Price, Henderson and to a lesser extent Moon, Byrne, Fien and (in parts) Rovelli were all giving the Warriors great service. Most of them were hit peak levels of their careers with us.

Before our home grown talent emerged it was these guys under Cleary that really kick started our club into a consistent looming threat. They deserve more credit than they get sometimes.

The biggest dud signing during this time was Denan Kemp.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
The biggest dud signing during this time was Denan Kemp.

Bet he has big regrets about passing up a contract to stay on the end of a Broncos backline with guys like Hunt, Lockyer and a decent Wallace setting him up to come to a team which could only pass in one direction, led by Stacey Jones and was pretty much 5 hit ups and bomb to Vatuvei.

vvvrulz

Coach
Bet he has big regrets about passing up a contract to stay on the end of a Broncos backline with guys like Hunt, Lockyer and a decent Wallace setting him up to come to a team which could only pass in one direction, led by Stacey Jones and was pretty much 5 hit ups and bomb to Vatuvei.

Man that was an awful year... we all love Stacey but he was well past it and combined with a miscast Moon in the halves our attack was non existent. Kemp deserves some blame too, sitting out there on the wing looking bored isn't going to help your cause.

Mike0070

Juniors
Man that was an awful year... we all love Stacey but he was well past it and combined with a miscast Moon in the halves our attack was non existent. Kemp deserves some blame too, sitting out there on the wing looking bored isn't going to help your cause.
I also remember him being set up a few times in space and dropping the ball cold , he was an average winger in a team of stars at the broncs

Fast Eddie

First Grade
I also remember him being set up a few times in space and dropping the ball cold , he was an average winger in a team of stars at the broncs

Nah in 2008 with the Bronocs he was a great finisher. Suited a good team with a good backline, obviously wasn't going to be very effective with the team/coach we had.

Last edited:

Drzoidberg

Juniors
Any chance of a link?
Nope, couldn't find one but got the mag in front of me.

Article is titled 'hey Sam, I'm No1'

It's pretty much about him making the fullback role his own.

Nobby sez: "matty has spoken to me about Tomkins and gives me regular updates. But he is not here this year, I am. "

"I have the mindset I am the fullback this season and I want to do the job so that next year I give Matty a hard decision to make. His position is fullback, but he is experienced in the halves as well."

Then he is talking about the hype surrounding Tomkins being hard to ignore.

"but I don't try to take it into my work, even though it revolves around work. "

Diesel

Referee
In the main page someone has posted a link saying its a done deal. Perhaps he was waiting til our season was over?

Rich102

Staff member
Sam Tomkins has signed with the Warriors and will be unveiled by the club in the next 10 days.
The Super League star told British media last week that he had made "no plans" for the next two years and also claimed he had the 2015 Rugby World Cup on his radar.
There were also reports after the Challenge Cup final claiming he may stay with Wigan.
But the Herald on Sunday understands the Warriors' deal with Tomkins was completed last week.
He will be one of the highest, if not the highest paid player in the club's history, with an annual salary believed to be more than $750,000.
The 24-year-old fullback, who starred in Wigan's Challenge Cup triumph over Hull last week, won't be seen in New Zealand until at least mid-December.
At the end of the Super League season, Tomkins will join the England team at their pre-World Cup training camp in South Africa.
Tomkins, who has scored 145 tries in 149 games for Wigan since making his debut in 2008 as a 19-year-old, has yet to visit Auckland during his dealings with the Warriors, but his mother has been in town to survey property options.

His signing represents the biggest recruitment gamble in the history of the Warriors, especially given their chequered past with British imports (although most were signed in another era).
Even allowing for inflation, Tomkins' salary will be significantly more than those of Steve Price and Ruben Wiki and also exceeds current high arners at the club such as Feleti Mateo, Manu Vatuvei, Simon Mannering and Shaun Johnson by "hundreds of thousands", according to a source familiar with the deal.
The details of the Warriors contract is unknown but the Sunday Mail is reporting that the Gold Coast Titans tabled a three-year deal in late April worth around A$700,000 ($803,000) a year and the Warriors deal is thought to be around the same. That Titans offer was said to be less that the initial asking price of the Tomkins' camp, though the Gold Coast lifestyle was also a drawcard.
The Sunday Mail says the negotiations eventually stalled after Titans coach John Cartwright and shareholder Michael Searle expressed reservations about the huge salary offer.
That is understandable - with several stars already at the club, including Greg Bird, Nate Myles and Jamal Idris, he would be wary of upsetting the dressing room. Mega-salaries are nothing new in the world of soccer (especially in England) but league remains somewhat more of an egalitarian game at heart.
His new Warriors team-mates will welcome him and expect a high level of performance.
Such a wage will bring huge expectations from fans, especially on a player who is an unproven talent in the NRL. British stars such as Sam Burgess, Gareth Widdop and James Graham have all been revelations on this side of the world but none were under the microscope the way Tomkins will be when he arrives.
Despite his big-money deal with the Warriors, Tomkins has expressed an interest in one day giving rugby a go. He told The Telegraph last week that he would like to be involved in a Rugby World Cup.
"I am not one of these people who is all about league and says union is rubbish," said Tomkins. "The international scene in rugby would be what I would want to get into at some point if I could.
"To be involved in any World Cup would be amazing so to get into a union one at some point would be amazing. I enjoy watching rugby union, so I don't see why I won't enjoy playing it."
Older brother Joel used to play for Wigan until switching to rugby with Saracens in 2011.
"The feedback from Joel is all positive ... he loves playing rugby. How players get looked after in union off the field far outweighs league by 10 times."

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11121364

Rich102

Staff member
Jeez. We're paying him $750,000 a season and he complains that rugby players get treated far better off the field.
Got to admire his cahones.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
Theres plenty of garbage in that article. I like how it tries to make out that he will be by far the most we have paid a player (over guys like Price/Wiki) when percentage wise it takes about the same amount of the salary cap.

He is desperately what we need, in a completely another class compared to Locke.

shiznit

Coach
I'll believe it when I see it...

There's been shitloads of these articles all year...

If was the Warriors I would see if the bulldogs were keen on some sort of trade for Locke...

They need a good fullback... The Warriors have a good fullback in reserve...

See if they are willing to trade a good young player for him... Maybe a kid like Josh Jackson... Or maybe Greg Eastwood.

Similar to what they do in American sports...

You would need to get Locke signed to another deal though... Otherwise his value would plummet.

One Warrior

Bench
Something to get excited about hopefully, after last night Locke has no speed left, he should of finished off Taylor's break. For me at the moment you do not move Friend or Leuluai, Fish to the right wing when he returns, best I can think of for Locke at the moment is 14, for a bit of spark of the bench. He won't like that so will probably leave, probably for the Bulldogs, hate to say it as he has been my favourite player. But we need speed and that is Tomkins and Fish.

MKEB...

Staff member
I look at locke and see a hohaia type player. Has all the skills but suited to an interchange impact role