What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tomikins confirmed today?

shiznit

Coach
I look at locke and see a hohaia type player. Has all the skills but suited to an interchange impact role
Lmfao...

Locke is a starting fullback in the NRL. He is in the top echelon of fullbacks in the game.

To call him an interchange player is ludicrous.

However I do recognise that with the Warriors investing so much money in Tomkins you need to put him in a position he will most likely succeed. Unfortunately for Locke... That's fullback.

I'm telling you this right now... Kevin Locke is gonna be a revelation at Fullback for the dogs next year.

Bill Baxter from Channel 9 tweeted today that there are talks going on behind the scenes between the Warriors and Dogs to get Locke over there to plug that hole at fullback.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
Some would say it's ludicrous to call a guy a top echelon fullback in the NRL when there is arguably 6-7 better fullbacks in the game. Locke is middle of the pack NRL fullback wise.

shiznit

Coach
Some would say it's ludicrous to call a guy a top echelon fullback in the NRL when there is arguably 6-7 better fullbacks in the game. Locke is middle of the pack NRL fullback wise.
Lets wait and see how he goes with the bulldogs then...

Fast Eddie

First Grade
Lets wait and see how he goes with the bulldogs then...

Thats beside the point. But I agree that he will probably go well at the Dogs. I doubt he will reach 'top echelon' status in the next few seasons personally.

vvvrulz

Coach

Dunno about these days but back in 2011 he was very much in the top 3.

shiznit

Coach
Thats beside the point. But I agree that he will probably go well at the Dogs. I doubt he will reach 'top echelon' status in the next few seasons personally.
I guess the problem here is what we consider the top echelon.

I'm talking about the top 5 or 6 fullbacks.

Kevin Locke has definitely been in that group... He's probably fallen out of form and has dropped out if that group at the moment...

If he gets in a good side like the dogs he will get back there.

One Warrior

Bench
I did read an article in RLW where it quotes Elliott saying that as long as he is coach, Locke would have a place in the spine at the Warriors, this was in last weeks RLW. Take that how you want, but Elliot certainly sounded like he valued Locke and wanted him in the team.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
I guess the problem here is what we consider the top echelon.

I'm talking about the top 5 or 6 fullbacks.

Kevin Locke has definitely been in that group... He's probably fallen out of form and has dropped out if that group at the moment...

If he gets in a good side like the dogs he will get back there.

See I wouldn't class 5th or 6th as being top echelon. I also wouldn't say that he has fallen out out the top few fullbacks because of form considering it has been two years since I would class him top 4-5. Plenty to do with the Warriors being a average to very average side over the last couple years though I spose.

Last edited:

MKEB...

Staff member
Lmfao...

Locke is a starting fullback in the NRL. He is in the top echelon of fullbacks in the game.

To call him an interchange player is ludicrous.

However I do recognise that with the Warriors investing so much money in Tomkins you need to put him in a position he will most likely succeed. Unfortunately for Locke... That's fullback.

I'm telling you this right now... Kevin Locke is gonna be a revelation at Fullback for the dogs next year.

Bill Baxter from Channel 9 tweeted today that there are talks going on behind the scenes between the Warriors and Dogs to get Locke over there to plug that hole at fullback.

Obviously I will agree to disagree with you.

I have seen nothing from Locke this year that warrants him being labelled a upper echelon FB. He might have steel balls under a high up and under, granted; yet is positional play is dubious.

Bar the last couple of rounds this year, his backing up has been non-existent. In 3rd or 4th tackle plays is where he comes to the fore; as an extra playmaker. Have him nipping around coming up to half time...magic.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
Obviously I will agree to disagree with you.

I have seen nothing from Locke this year that warrants him being labelled a upper echelon FB. He might have steel balls under a high up and under, granted; yet is positional play is dubious.

Bar the last couple of rounds this year, his backing up has been non-existent. In 3rd or 4th tackle plays is where he comes to the fore; as an extra playmaker. Have him nipping around coming up to half time...magic.

I don't think he really has any play making ability of note.

shiznit

Coach
Play making is not the core responsibility if a fullback.

It's a bonus....

The guy coming in... Sam Tomkins... Is REALLY suspect under the high ball.

Now what would worry you more?? A fullback who can't play make? Or a fullback who can't confidently take bombs??

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
How can anyone say with a straight face that Locke was ever a top-echelon fullback?

This isn't even a criticism of Locke. He just happens to play in the same competition as:

Slater
Inglis
Stewart
Hayne
Dugan
Barba
Bowen

I know Kev was good in 2011 and I'm not saying every bloke on that list was in better form than him that year (not like I can remember that) but if you're comparing him to those guys generally he just doesn't compete.

It just so happens that many of the game's elite players are fullbacks, so to be a top-tier fullback you have to be a top-tier player. Kev has never been on that level. He is flat-out making the Kiwis and the blokes he is competing with aren't on that list either.

Iafeta

Referee
How can anyone say with a straight face that Locke was ever a top-echelon fullback?

This isn't even a criticism of Locke. He just happens to play in the same competition as:

Slater
Inglis
Stewart
Hayne
Dugan
Barba
Bowen

I know Kev was good in 2011 and I'm not saying every bloke on that list was in better form than him that year (not like I can remember that) but if you're comparing him to those guys generally he just doesn't compete.

It just so happens that many of the game's elite players are fullbacks, so to be a top-tier fullback you have to be a top-tier player. Kev has never been on that level. He is flat-out making the Kiwis and the blokes he is competing with aren't on that list either.

Totally agree. He's WAY off the pace and extremely inconsistent. Locke is Packer-esque in how far short he is of transferring his NYC abilities to first grade. He's certainly not in the top echelon, that's a joke of a statement frankly. Phil Blake would outpace him. And Phil's probably in his late 40s/early 50s now.

Even with Barba moving, Josh Morris is considerably ahead of him.

Iafeta

Referee
Well there's Hoffman as well, he's ahead of Locke as the Kiwis fullback, and the Broncos have sought to bring in a fullback for next season even though Hoffman is on the books. I think that gives some indication of where Locke is at.

shiznit

Coach
Totally agree. He's WAY off the pace and extremely inconsistent. Locke is Packer-esque in how far short he is of transferring his NYC abilities to first grade. He's certainly not in the top echelon, that's a joke of a statement frankly. Phil Blake would outpace him. And Phil's probably in his late 40s/early 50s now.

Even with Barba moving, Josh Morris is considerably ahead of him.
Lmfao... Joke statement...

Funny how you turn on the bloke as he's about to leave the warriors. :roll:

Like I've said... Wait till he gets the bulldogs fullback spot... He will shine.

This reminds me if when Elijah Taylor signed for Penrith... All the clowns come out of the woodwork talking about how rubbish he is and how the Warriors won't miss him... I was ridiculed for suggesting it was a massive loss to the warriors and that he was a great player... Now I see threads saying how much he will be missed.

I think you guys have too much buthurt over the warriors to take these things objectively...

He will shine at the bulldogs...

Diesel

Referee
Why do ex-Warriors shine at Australian clubs and especially when playing the Warriors?

Are they treated like stars in NZ as they are the country's only team or do they have to work harder and therefore are more focused when taken out of NZ? It's a trend I've noticed.

vvvrulz

Coach
Some people are going overboard both ways here.

Locke is a decent player with a lot of potential, at his peak he should be in the top 5 fullback in the comp. He's not playing at his peak and has an attitude problem which puts him about mid range in the competition fullbacks, but he has still been generally dependable this season.