What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tomikins confirmed today?

shiznit

Coach
Well there's Hoffman as well, he's ahead of Locke as the Kiwis fullback, and the Broncos have sought to bring in a fullback for next season even though Hoffman is on the books. I think that gives some indication of where Locke is at.
You pal... Are the king of warriors buthurt...

Case in point...

Elijah Taylor announces he's signed for Penrith..

Kind of fitting that between himself and James Maloney his lack of wanting to tackle in the last 10 minutes cost us a game against Penrith last year.

Good riddance son, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

How things change when the season is up...

I thought he was worthy of a thread frankly, given he's played his last home game for us. On two fronts, firstly, unlike Sharky Brown and James Maloney, after announcing early on he was leaving, he certainly didn't drop his bundle like they did. He's competed right till the end. Secondly, he's become just as valuable to us as Micheal Luck. Luck was probably a bit more of a hard worker in defence, but Elijah's game is so much more rounded. His footwork is excellent, and he's starting to show those deft touches he showed early on in NYC where he'd step with the ball in one hand, starting drawing a defender and link to his outside man who has space opening in front of him. I think he copped a raw deal being asked to play hooker, that's not his game, but that can't take away from my mind that he is an enormous loss.

I hope one day Elijah comes back.

:lol:

You also forgot Gordon, Gordon is a better fullback than Locke.

Gordon > Locke
Zillmon = Locke
Locke > tedesco, Reece Robinson, coote, mini and Kevin Gordon

Last edited:

Blair

Coach
Why do ex-Warriors shine at Australian clubs and especially when playing the Warriors?

Is it fair to say that, in general, most Kiwis shine in Australia as opposed to living in NZ?

With Locke, there's this ongoing perception that he is for some reason playing below par, that he's capable of lifting a gear at any time. His perceived potential might be distorting his reality.

Iafeta

Referee
How have I turned on Locke? AFAIK he's with the Warriors next year. That's a very puzzling statement mate.

The fact is he's not in the top echelon of fullbacks as you claim he is. This is because he has lost top end speed since he's been injured.

Frankly, I hope he's still here. I don't see how that makes me "butthurt"? He's just not as good as you claim he is anymore.

Why do ex-Warriors shine at Australian clubs and especially when playing the Warriors?

Are they treated like stars in NZ as they are the country's only team or do they have to work harder and therefore are more focused when taken out of NZ? It's a trend I've noticed.

The answer to this is probably the answer to the Warriors (as a club) problems in general.

I understand wanting to get one up on old team mates (Bragging rights)
But the reason for under-performing while playing for the Warriors is perplexing.

I hope its not an "acting white" scenario to steal an American term and when they are taken out of the cultural comfort zone in Australia they pull finger? Or are they worried that Aussie teams can pick up another player a lot easier then the Warriors could?

But then you see players this year like T-Rex and D Taylor who have not lived up to the hype with a team change?

To much KiwiSport vs Aussie do anything to win?

Beavers Headgear

First Grade

Are they treated like stars in NZ as they are the country's only team or do they have to work harder and therefore are more focused when taken out of NZ? It's a trend I've noticed.

Professionalism

Warriors are a long way off the pace in that regard as an organisation

TheDMC

Bench
The answer to this is probably the answer to the Warriors (as a club) problems in general.

I understand wanting to get one up on old team mates (Bragging rights)
But the reason for under-performing while playing for the Warriors is perplexing.

I hope its not an "acting white" scenario to steal an American term and when they are taken out of the cultural comfort zone in Australia they pull finger? Or are they worried that Aussie teams can pick up another player a lot easier then the Warriors could?

But then you see players this year like T-Rex and D Taylor who have not lived up to the hype with a team change?

To much KiwiSport vs Aussie do anything to win?

You could be right there Philip. Maybe the warriors club is too culturally cuddly for the humble family boys from the islands. I cringe when I saw the following things this season:

* People like Nobby acting like 10-year olds on camera - can't imagine Foran getting up to that crap
* Beasts like Hurrell deflecting plaudits after a good game to the guidance of messiah's like Ropati for babysitting them out on the field "telling me what to do". f**k, stop acting like you can't think/learn by yourself, take ownership over your life
* Legends like Vatuvei being incapable of avoiding full genius moments despite 10 years of experience (the panic throw the ball back to Nobby's head at a million miles an hour last month was classic).
* Captain Mannering being way too nice to be a Captain.

The reason the kiwi boys tend to thrive in Aussie clubs is probably cause they don't get an easy ride, hard nut aussies don't put up with shit and thus they harden up and take ownership pretty quickly.

Meanwhile at the warriors they remain marshmallow babies

Last edited:
* People like Nobby acting like 10-year olds on camera - can't imagine Foran getting up to that crap

Saw this from Locke and Johnson going into the grounds yesterday and thought their minds not focused on the game.:roll:

Last edited:

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Some people are going overboard both ways here.

Locke is a decent player with a lot of potential, at his peak he should be in the top 5 fullback in the comp.

How on Earth can you say "Locke should be a top 5 fullback" when there are no fewer than 8 absolute world class fullbacks in the NRL this season? 9 including Michael Gordon who imo is also a class above Locke?

On pure potential/ability Locke is still flat-out just staying in the top 10, and I reiterate, that's hardly even a criticism.

jaseg

Juniors
I think it was in 2011 that Locke was probably the 3rd or 4th best fullback in the game. Possibly even pushing for 2nd. Outside of that, he has been middling at best every year in comparison to other NRL fullbacks. He has it in him to be great - but it's frustrating watching him go from the good to the bad so often. Injuries have certainly played a part, he's been unlucky there, but it's more than that I think. Attitude.

And in defense of Iafeta, Elijah Taylor was a totally different player when he made that initial comment - all potential and u20s achievements and barely scraping by in first grade. He's developed markedly since then. I wasn't too fussed either when the announcement was made - because Taylor was just one of many promising second rowers who hadn't quite adjusted to being a really good first grader (or hadn't got their chance yet).

And stop fussing about Tomkins. He's coming. They're just not going to announce it before the season is over...

tangalife

Juniors
How on Earth can you say "Locke should be a top 5 fullback" when there are no fewer than 8 absolute world class fullbacks in the NRL this season? 9 including Michael Gordon who imo is also a class above Locke?

On pure potential/ability Locke is still flat-out just staying in the top 10, and I reiterate, that's hardly even a criticism.

Locke does have the potential to be a top 5 fullback.

Loads of abililty, but too much of a playboy outside of the game. Wish he would just concentrate on his footy.

Rich102

Staff member
Professionalism

Warriors are a long way off the pace in that regard as an organisation

I think this has a lot to do with it.
Also when you have a couple of bad games and are not replaced you have little incentive to lift.
It is a carrot & stick situation. I think there is too much carrot at the moment; a bit of tough love wouldn't go amiss.

Diesel

Referee
Although Tomkins is young, lets hope he brings some professionalism to the team. If we can get two more Ivan Cleary/Kevin Campion players circa 2001-3 into the team for next year and pressure players like Lowrie, Hurrell and even Manu/Locke/Johnson then we could be top 4-6 for next year

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Locke does have the potential to be a top 5 fullback.

I still feel like these are just words that "sound right" but don't have any regard to the quality of other fullbacks in the comp.

Even 2011 Locke is still clearly inferior to at least 8 or 9 other fullbacks in the comp when they are at their respective bests. All of these guys are freaks when on form.

hitman82

Bench
When our team is dominating, Locke looks fantastic. Of course he's looked rubbish through '12 and '13.

Aside from being in poor form himself, Locke has been playing behind a pack which is getting chewed up on attack and trampled in defense. We've struggled to win possession and have thrown territory away.

Locke - on his day, behind a dominant tam - looks up there with the 2nd-tier of NRL fullbacks. He'll never be Top 3. There was a brief period in 2011 when he and Johnson were carving up and Locke looked not far off the Slater league, but it honestly was only 3 games or so.

Warrior@Heart

Juniors
12 fullbacks I thought had better seasons than Locke.

1. Slater
2. Inglis
3. Hayne
4. Stewart
5. Barba
6. Dugan
7. Boyd
8. Gordon
9. Hoffman
10. Mini
11. Milford
12. Tedesco

Locke imo was in the same class as Zillman, Moylan, Bowen, Coote this year.

The Eagle

Juniors
12 fullbacks I thought had better seasons than Locke.

1. Slater
2. Inglis
3. Hayne
4. Stewart
5. Barba
6. Dugan
7. Boyd
8. Gordon
9. Hoffman
10. Mini
11. Milford
12. Tedesco

Locke imo was in the same class as Zillman, Moylan, Bowen, Coote this year.

Lol @ Hayne, he played what 7games maybe? Terrible year