What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tony Archer goooooone

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
The article looks very Rothfield/Kent-esque... just the same boring repetitive crusade they've been on for ages. I'd rather penalties than wrestling.

I LOL at the people going on about Archer. He didn't have as big an input in 2018. Bernard Sutton did as he was in charge of the NRL referees and touch judges, and he is still there doing the same job. Nothing will change till they get rid of that dope.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
The wrestle was still there regardless. It's not going away.

Two in, get the player on their back, third man in if necessary to help turn him around so he's facing the wrong way ensuring the slowest possible time to play the ball.

The Roosters were excellent at it this year, that's not a dig, it's impressive how fluent it becomes because you get used to it. If you do it from minute one what's the ref gonna do? penalise every single tackle? Not going to happen.

I honestly dont have much sympathy for teams who are dominated in the wrestle. A decent coach would adapt their attack, not go crying to mummy Todd and ask them to change the rules...

The big potential in this era of wrestle is that it has made the boring "5 hit ups and a kick" a really ineffective style of play. What clubs SHOULD be doing is focusing on off-loads from the big forwards after their momentum has stopped. Forget about linebreaks, just take a regular hit-up then offload to the Dummyhalf and give them an opportunity to run at a broke line with support.

Really, the wrestle COULD be the best thing to happen to RL. The real problem is boring and uncreative coaching....

TheFrog

Coach
It isnt enforcing the rules that needs to be fired but the coaches.
You reckon that will help? They are doing their job. What is needed is a workable set of rules and guidelines for the game, and consistent enforcement across all teams, and from minute 1 to minute 80.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
You reckon that will help? They are doing their job. What is needed is a workable set of rules and guidelines for the game, and consistent enforcement across all teams, and from minute 1 to minute 80.
In the last 10-15 years in particular, coaches have been doing their utmost to bend and even break the rules as a means to an end.

Lumping the entire responsibility of something coaches and clubs have helped create onto the referees is ridiculous.

T-Boon

Coach
It is a simple game and numerous fulltime coaches with way too much time on their hands are coming up with new ways to ruin the game all the time. The coaches are not interested in the game they are interested in winning and getting paid so they ruin the game.

Springs09

Juniors
Yes I'm sure now that everyone will be happy with the refs, just like they were the year after every other ref boss got sacked.

Bernard Sutton will be the worst person in the world by the end of the first round next year.

Springs09

Juniors
I hope people who are heaping shit on him realise he's been moved on (along with Canavan) because of the penalty crackdown, something which a lot of people on here seemingly supported.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...n/news-story/45ed3e843c34f969afd3d4f096903e44

The 16 NRL clubs will be handed a document this week confirming the crippling effect of the refereeing crackdown on the 2018 season.

It reveals fans saw eight hours less ball-in-play action over the season, fewer tries and linebreaks, but a 200 per cent increase in penalty goals.

There was also a 10 per cent increase in the number of bunker referrals and a 17 per cent increase in the time it takes to adjudicate on a try referral.

The Daily Telegraph has obtained a copy of the confidential document which will be handed to the 16 club chief executives at their meeting at Moore Park headquarters this week.

The idea was to speed up the play-the-ball, keep the teams further apart and improve the attack.

The report shows it actually did nothing to enhance the spectacle. It actually had the opposite effect.

It is the major reason why long-time official Brian Canavan was axed as Head of Football and replaced by Graham Annesley.

There were 75 fewer tries than the previous season, fewer linebreaks and a 200 per cent increase in penalty goals. Some games were like boring rugby union penalty shootouts.

With less fatigue from all the stoppages there were also fewer missed tackles.

No it wasn't. The idea was to get the blatant cheating out of the game that we've seen the last few years.

hrundi99

First Grade
I honestly dont have much sympathy for teams who are dominated in the wrestle. A decent coach would adapt their attack, not go crying to mummy Todd and ask them to change the rules...

The big potential in this era of wrestle is that it has made the boring "5 hit ups and a kick" a really ineffective style of play. What clubs SHOULD be doing is focusing on off-loads from the big forwards after their momentum has stopped. Forget about linebreaks, just take a regular hit-up then offload to the Dummyhalf and give them an opportunity to run at a broke line with support.

Really, the wrestle COULD be the best thing to happen to RL. The real problem is boring and uncreative coaching....

The biggest issue is that it makes for ugly footy.

TheFrog

Coach
Lumping the entire responsibility of something coaches and clubs have helped create onto the referees is ridiculous.
I don't think I did that. Refs do what they are instructed to do. Coaches do their jobs too, which is to win games however possible. What is needed is a means by which the baby isn't thrown out with the bathwater in enforcing the rules.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee

What a load of rubbish.

some11

Referee
The article looks very Rothfield/Kent-esque... just the same boring repetitive crusade they've been on for ages. I'd rather penalties than wrestling.
No it wasn't. The idea was to get the blatant cheating out of the game that we've seen the last few years.
It's still there though!

Short of penalising every single tackle after a 3 second tackle clock with a siren you won't see a drastic change to 90s/early 2000s footy.

Springs09

Juniors
It's still there though!

Short of penalising every single tackle after a 3 second tackle clock with a siren you won't see a drastic change to 90s/early 2000s footy.

Yeah it's still there because we gave up in Round 11 because some idiots complained about it. And of course that coincided with the teams that know how to cheat the best - Storm and Roosters - dominating the remainder of the year just like they have dominated the past 5 years.