What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Too Late Now, We're Suing The Storm

DJShaksta

First Grade
I love it.
Brian Waldron would have to be one of the most over inflated bags of wind since Phil Gould. I hope he gets taken to the cleaners.

j0nesy

Bench
From what I can gather this has nothing to do with the NRL, to me it reads as if its a personal matter. That is to say Darrell Williams is threatening to sue the Storm, Craig Bellamy and Brian Waldron.

StormChaser

First Grade
I would happily fork out some dollars to help The storm defend this, or even pay off the sooky, whiny, cry babies.

Grown men. Pah!!

Shorty

Staff member
LOL They're sooky? Pot,kettle,black.
Maybe the Storm will shut it's precious mouth now.

In saying that,this isn't a good look for the NRL.

StormChaser

First Grade
LOL They're sooky? Pot,kettle,black.
Maybe the Storm will shut it's precious mouth now.

In saying that,this isn't a good look for the NRL.

Yes. THEY sook. WE reply :lol:

Now c'mon Sorcy, I'm passing the hat around. Cough up.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Perhaps I should clarify - I was referring to those walking up to him in the street saying things (supposedly, I don't know who would actually recognise him). I have no doubt he'd have a case but given the Storm have already been heavily penalised, what will this case achieve? I would think most people know the guy isn't corrupt.

As for him being a "public person"? By definition maybe - I know I don't... but would the average NRL or Storm fan actually recognise him in the street? Particularly given he (probably, not sure) resides in Sydney, 1000km from where the majority of Storm fans reside?
It doesn't matter how many people know him.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
It doesn't matter how many people know him.

When he's telling porkies to advance his cause in the media about people coming up to him (IMO anyway), then yeah it does. Hardly evidence he can tender in court as proof of defamation of character.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
My point exactly. I don't condone what Melbourne and/or representatives of their club have done - however it's not as if nothing has been done to reprimand them.
Surely the level of reprimand is debatable.

Apart from Smith, Bellamy and Waldron having trouble accepting the verdict, it has already been mentioned that the $50K fine was from the NRL to club, with both parties receiving financial backing from News Ltd .

http://www.leagueunlimited.com/article.php?newsid=17077

sharko

Juniors
What it does is mean these judiciary members will be unable to conduct matters concerning Melbourne Storm matters due to a perception of bias. Taking legal action against a club is enough for that to be percieved as bias.
The judiciary has an opportuntiy to rub out grapples etc but were too lenient and it continued during the season and all teams were guilt of grapples during the year.
I would assume now that we look for some judiciary members who can find their arse with two hands and know how to rub out illegalities in the game!

Willow

Assistant Moderator
When he's telling porkies to advance his cause in the media about people coming up to him (IMO anyway), then yeah it does. Hardly evidence he can tender in court as proof of defamation of character.
How do you know he hasn't had people coming up to him? You seem to be saying that he is lying - perhaps you should stop there.

Assuming it gets to court, I imagine the 'proof' of defamation will be presented with the public comments made by Bellamy.

ozbash

Referee
hope dazza takes them to the cleaners.
you cant have a defamation law for the clubs and one for the judiciary. Bellamy and co must be made accountable for what they say publicly.

this is more about the bookies getting the inside info from the judiciary though,, isnt it ?

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,24430458-23214,00.html

Bellamy refuses to apologise

October 01, 2008

A DEFIANT Melbourne coach Craig Bellamy has touched down in Sydney ahead of Sunday's NRL grand final refusing to apologise for last week's stunning attack on the integrity of the game's judiciary system.

The Storm arrived in Sydney where they will set up camp ahead of their grand final rematch with Manly, but it was obvious Bellamy's anger had not subsided during his four days back in Melbourne.

Bellamy and Storm chief executive Brian Waldron have been threatened with legal action by members of the judiciary panel which handed down the two-match ban to Melbourne skipper Cameron Smith, the ban ruling the Test captain out of Sunday's decider.

Judiciary panelist Darrell Williams said he wanted an apology from Bellamy before the grand final, but there was none forthcoming.

"The kerfuffle hopefully is gone as far as I'm concerned," Bellamy said.

"I had my say last week and it's been pretty smooth sailing as far as we go.

"It's over as far as I'm concerned now and we're worrying about Sunday."

its far from over

drake

First Grade
The NRL have already fined the Storm a justifiably large sum of money. What is prolonging this nonsense in the courts going to achieve other than furthering the NRL's already negative image?
THEY GET HALF BACK FROM NEWS LTD!

Sue the f**kers... oh, 14 other clubs will be footing the bill.

pnub

Juniors
How about they wait until after the GF before announcing that they are going to sue?

Too much to ask?

You would think that it would be left until the off season. A week would hardly make a difference you would think.
But he is an ex Manly player so it begs the question did he announce that they are planning to sue the storm during Grand final week as a ploy to distract Bellamy and the club?
Oh no maybe I’ll be sued for defamation of character now for stating that.