What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Too many NRL teams in Sydney "Gallop.

gong_eagle

First Grade
Too many NRL teams in Sydney, says David Gallop.

Get rich or die tryin'

Jacquelin Magnay | July 28, 2007

Thereare too many rugby league teams in Sydney. That is the sharp assessment of National Rugby League chief executive David Gallop as clubs, particularly traditional ones, come under sustained financial pressure to meet budgets. A Herald investigation of all 16 NRL clubs has shown some are juggling with player payments and costs, and generally survive through generous handouts from leagues clubs or shareholders, including News Limited.
Clubs have been forced to be creative and look outside of the game to generate revenue as leagues clubs tighten their generosity following further poker machine taxes and the non-smoking legislation.
"To put it bluntly, we probably have got too many teams in Sydney," Gallop said. "And the game is also a victim of the level the salary cap was forced to be set at after Super League when the salaries were out of control. Back then, the grant was $2 million a year to the clubs and the cap was $3.25 million, but conceptually the cap should have been $2 million. But it was impossible to bring salaries down that far because back then some clubs were paying $8 million and $9 million in salaries a year."
The club with the biggest handout is the Melbourne Storm, with News Limited injecting $13 million to keep the southern club afloat. But in the cluttered Sydney market the heat is on Manly, South Sydney and Wests Tigers to stay afloat financially.
Penrith chief executive Glenn Matthews predicted that in the medium to long term some Sydney clubs - all vying for the same sponsorship dollar in the tight market against the Swans and the Waratahs - may come under intense pressure to survive.
The Herald has found that teams such as Penrith, the Sharks and South Sydney are looking to further develop land and commercial premises to add a new layer of cash flow. Advertising on websites by the Bulldogs, boosting membership by the Wests Tigers and even opening a retail merchandising shop by the Roosters have been other non-game revenue activities
While the cost of running a rugby league team is generally around $10-13 million a year, $3.35 million comes from the NRL. The other big revenue raisers are sponsorship, merchandising and gate takings. But some clubs fall millions of dollars short. Three clubs receive more than $5 million a year from leagues clubs to subsidise their NRL teams and junior development.

The salary cap will increase to $4.1 million next year, and the NRL grant will rise to $3.45 million. Gallop said it was a stated aim that the cap would match the NRL grant.

the rest is here
http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/clubs-feel-the-squeeze/2007/07/27/1185339261724.html

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
"To put it bluntly, we probably have got too many teams in Sydney," Gallop said.
In other news the Sky is blue...

About the Titans:
A successful Palladium Club marketing initiative, now fully subscribed, has attracted 100 foundation members at a cost of $25,000 each.
Holy sh*t.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Too many teams in Sydney Dave?

How about growing some balls, and telling one or two to relocate or die.

gong_eagle

First Grade
Timmah said:

when I 1st read it I thought here we go again :crazy:

whatsdoing1982

Juniors
I say set a date of 2009 and if a Sydney club is still struggling with money and crowds they have to relocate or lose their license to Perth.

Perth in by 2011 (Sydney club move or lose)
Wellington 2013 (new)
Central Coast 2015 (Sydney club again)
Then we can look at Adelaide. Maybe even sooner because the interest is their according to TV ratings. Its rating are better than Perth.

I am also slightly torn with the other NZ side. I am starting to think lets inject some money into NZ and make it a National comp again. Take the Warriors out of the NRL.
Not sure???

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
While I do agree that there is too many teams in Sydney. I think the biggest blight on the game is the money News Ltd STEALS from the game. If this extra money was invested back into the game, no club would be under ANY financial pressure.

Tom Shines

First Grade
We do need a team on the Coast though, and Cronulla, Roosters, and Souths are the most likely candidates.

Front-Rower

First Grade
Timmah said:

Well seeing the bulldogs don't technically represent an area anymore they should be the first ones moved out of Sydney then right? or doesn't what you have just said apply to your team?

Red Bear

Referee
i remember a Sydney club deciding to move in order to help the game a few years back mr gallop, the nrl gave them a great hand didnt they. Why the f**k would any other club move after than debarcle.

I would think cronulla would be a candidate to die, just cos they dont seem to get crowds, arent successful and cant have that much money in them. I dont wish death on any club but they seem the closest.

flamin

Juniors
From the link provided:

Brisbane
Total revenue: $22-$23 million

Sponsorship: $7 million

Gate takings: $10 million

Leagues club grant: $400,000

Profit: $1.7-$1.8 million; $6 million over the past three years

Bulldogs
End of October 2006

Total revenue: $13.7 million

Sponsorship: $3.7 million

Gate takings: $1.3 million

Leagues club grant: $4 million

Profit: $261,467

Cronulla
End of October 2006

Total revenue: $11.14 million

Sponsorship: $4.28 million

Gate takings: $1,511,000

Leagues club grant: $1.8 million

Profit: $8,714,000 (excluding a $9 million government grant, the club lost about $400,000).

Canberra
End of October 2006

Total revenue: $9.4m

Sponsorship: $4.76m

Gate takings: $1.26m

Leagues club grant: $160,000

Loss: $127,000

Gold Coast Titans

Total revenue: N/A

Sponsorship: N/A

Gate takings: N/A

Leagues club grant: nil

Profit: estimated to be more than $100,000

Manly
End of June 2007

Total revenue: $11 million

Sponsorship: $2.9 million

Gate takings: $1.5 million

Leagues club grant: $470,000

Loss: $1.1 million last year; estimated loss $250,000 this year.

Melbourne
End of October 2006

Total revenue: $14,098,000

Sponsorship: N/A

Gate takings: $549,000

News Limited grant: $13.11 million

Loss: $781,798

Newcastle
End of December 2006

Total revenue: $19.9 million

Sponsorship: $8.4 million

Gate takings: $3.4 million

Leagues club grant: nil

Profit: $813,000

Parramatta
Total Revenue: $10.12 million

Sponsorship: $2.13 million

Gate takings: $1.49 million

Leagues club grant: $2.57 million

Profit/loss: nil

Penrith
Total revenue: $9,022,000

Sponsorship: $3,136,000

Gate takings: $1.18 million

Leagues club grant: $2.5 million

North QLD
End of October 2005

(latest available)

Total revenue: $12,126,000

Sponsorship: $5,431,000

Gate takings: $3.13 million

Leagues club grant: $2,818,000

Loss: $776,568

Dragons
End of October 2006

Total revenue: $12.7 million

Sponsorship: $5.3 million

Gate takings: $2.7 million, including membership packages

Leagues club grant: $5 million

Profit: $500,000

South Sydney
Projected for 2007

Total revenue: $13 million

Sponsorship: $5.5 million

Gate takings: $2.5 million

Leagues club grant: none

Profit: not available

Roosters
End of October 2006

Total revenue: $13.76 million

Sponsorship: $4.02 million

Gate takings: $1,021,000

Leagues club grant: $4.25 million

Profit: $1350

Warriors
Projected for 2007

Total revenue: $10-12 million

Sponsorship: not available

Gate takings: not available

Leagues club grant: none

Loss: estimated at $600,000 a year.

Wests Tigers
Projected for 2007

Total revenue: $12 million

Sponsorship: $4.3 million

Gate takings: $1.5 million

Leagues club grant: $1.3 million

I see that Melbourne's sponsorship is listed as N/A and that it isn't included in their total revenue. But don't Melbourne have one of the largest sponsorship deals of Australian sporting clubs?

colonel_123

Juniors
Red Bear said:
i remember a Sydney club deciding to move in order to help the game a few years back mr gallop, the nrl gave them a great hand didnt they. Why the f**k would any other club move after than debarcle.

I would think cronulla would be a candidate to die, just cos they dont seem to get crowds, arent successful and cant have that much money in them. I dont wish death on any club but they seem the closest.

Did you read the article?

Nonetheless, the club [Cronulla] is in a healthy financial state, with valuable and extensive land assets to the east and west of Toyota Park still to be developed.

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/new...1185339261724.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap2

colonel_123

Juniors
Sea_Eagles_Rock said:
While I do agree that there is too many teams in Sydney. I think the biggest blight on the game is the money News Ltd STEALS from the game. If this extra money was invested back into the game, no club would be under ANY financial pressure.

The money News takes out of the game is re-invested back into the game, if you consider propping up the Storm as re-investing.

News Ltd takes 8 million from the NRL and invests 13 million into the Storm.

Gene Krupa

Referee
Timmah said:

Four need to relocate. One to Central Coast, one to Brisbane second team, one to Adelaide and one to Perth.

And these relocated clubs need to be propped up, no matter what the costs. We need to expand to become a truely national comp. Given enough time, they will succeed and we need them in these locations to counter AFL.

Galeforce

Bench
Nothing new.

Direction is clear and the way it will be done is clear.

Nothing will be done directly by NRL, it will be left to the next club that cannot manage financially and will be forced to take the relocation money out of financial neccessity to survive.

One point though , is that next club goes to central coast , the club that needs help after that may find itself in Perth . So Gallops message may be a trigger to the clubs in trouble that if you want to be close to sydney you should act faster than later, as there is no guarantee of any relocation support/location ater central coast.

I believe clubs in trouble , Sharks , Tigers , clubs that could be in potential trouble with minor backing change Manly, Roosters ( as they both have benefactors who have been supporting for a while ) whose backers may rethink their cash drain.

Souths i think are moving into the camp below , as their sponsorship and financial status improves and their benefactors are still early stages , so there is at least a 10 year window here to get on the up and up.

Definitely no trouble Bulldogs. Eels , Penrith , Saints

lol move sydney teams and watch the game decline. how many souths fans will stay true when their team is all of a sudden the adelaide sh*t kickers? will manly supporters find another club if they're the wellington sea eagles? league can get f**ked if the roosters ever relocate

flamin

Juniors
Another interesting point in that article is that the Dragons have 9000 members which is almost as many as they have turning up to games these days.

I cannot see one team even remotely considering moving....

Sharks? Yeah there sh*t but they always get decent crowds, and take a bloody walk down any suburb in the shire virtually every business has proud sponsor of the sharks stickers on their windows.

Cronulla isnt going anywhere.

Maybe the Roosters? But their corporate sponsorship is always spectacular even if they do have 95% empty stadium syndrome.

Personally I'd like to see the bulldogs if they relocate to a quieter city their players might stop being such a pack of deadsh*ts and develope some respect and common decency. They just cant seem to behave in Sydney maybe the big lights affect their feeble brains or something.

Latest posts