What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Too many NRL teams in Sydney "Gallop.

salivor

First Grade
What new city would accept the Bulldogs are their team given their reputation? Their the last team I'd be rellocating.

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
Tonearm Terrorwrist said:
lol move sydney teams and watch the game decline. how many souths fans will stay true when their team is all of a sudden the adelaide sh*t kickers? will manly supporters find another club if they're the wellington sea eagles? league can get f**ked if the roosters ever relocate

Geographically, it's the Roosters or Souths that should be moved. Is it fair, no way!

There is no point moving a team to Brisbane. It would have to start fresh IMO.

I also think the Tigers should be left alone. They are a merger already. Manly went through the marriage also.

let's say it would be between souths or roosters that just destroys one of the biggest rivalries going around and 100 years of history for both teams, for what? a second brisbane or nz team? a second try for league in adelaide or perth? ungrateful central coast people who cried out for a team, got one based there then said "oh no we demand a team of our own" instead of being content with actually get a team there in the first place?

go ahead, destroy the foundations this competition was based on. while he's at it, f**k all the sydney teams off. make it just it one team Sydney. shift penrith to PNG. parra to adelaide. bulldogs to perth. souths to tassie. saints to darwin. roosters to cairns. manly to the central coast. sharks to wellington. tigers into oblivion

f**kin hopeless

Blaze

Juniors
Huge issue in Rugby League.

I can certainly understand where the Sydney club fans are coming from as well. If anything the Bears being brought back in is more important imo.

I actually don't think there is a solution. Maybe if we can stop the player drain we could expand but as things are at the moment we certainly cannot consider expansion with so many players going off shore.

Bring 2/3rds of the kiwi and aussie super league players back to the NRL and then expansion may be possible. Much easier said than done...

griff

Bench
colonel_123 said:
The money News takes out of the game is re-invested back into the game, if you consider propping up the Storm as re-investing.

News Ltd takes 8 million from the NRL and invests 13 million into the Storm.

No it doesn't seem that clear cut.

If you look at their balance sheet Melbourne have no sponsorship revenue, but we all know that they have a suite of sponsors paying quite considerable money.

Obviously the News Ltd funding is in the form of a sponsorship guarantee (this was actually standard practice with the way Super League clubs were to be funded). That is News Ltd guarantee that sponsorship will reach a certain point, and if it doesn't they provide the money.

However how it works is that they buy the sponsorship properties from the Storm, and then on-sell the various properties to different sponsors (Medibank, Hostplus, Jayco, etc). So the sponsorship revenue that the Storm get is paid to News Ltd, not the Storm. News Ltd are only out of pocket for the difference between $13.11m and whatever sponsorship Melbourne actually bring in.

For example Medibank would pay 500,000 to a News Ltd company that sells the sponsorship rights of the Storm, not to the Storm per se.

I wonder if they get away with calling all of that 13 million investment in the game?

Melbourne

End of October 2006

Total revenue: $14,098,000

Sponsorship: N/A

Gate takings: $549,000

News Limited grant: $13.11 million

Loss: $781,798

Blaze said:
Huge issue in Rugby League.

I can certainly understand where the Sydney club fans are coming from as well. If anything the Bears being brought back in is more important imo.

I actually don't think there is a solution. Maybe if we can stop the player drain we could expand but as things are at the moment we certainly cannot consider expansion with so many players going off shore.

Bring 2/3rds of the kiwi and aussie super league players back to the NRL and then expansion may be possible. Much easier said than done...

but the players are already complaining of too many games and clubs just don't have the money. if the league is going to be expanded it has to be a 2 tier league with relegation and promotion. simple as that

chunk

Juniors
flamin said:
From the link provided:

Brisbane
Total revenue: $22-$23 million

Sponsorship: $7 million

Gate takings: $10 million

Leagues club grant: $400,000

Profit: $1.7-$1.8 million; $6 million over the past three years

Bulldogs
End of October 2006

Total revenue: $13.7 million

Sponsorship: $3.7 million

Gate takings: $1.3 million

Leagues club grant: $4 million

Profit: $261,467

Cronulla
End of October 2006

Total revenue: $11.14 million

Sponsorship: $4.28 million

Gate takings: $1,511,000

Leagues club grant: $1.8 million

Profit: $8,714,000 (excluding a $9 million government grant, the club lost about $400,000).

Canberra
End of October 2006

Total revenue: $9.4m

Sponsorship: $4.76m

Gate takings: $1.26m

Leagues club grant: $160,000

Loss: $127,000

Gold Coast Titans

Total revenue: N/A

Gate takings: N/A

Leagues club grant: nil

Profit: estimated to be more than $100,000

Manly
End of June 2007

Total revenue: $11 million

Sponsorship: $2.9 million

Gate takings: $1.5 million

Leagues club grant: $470,000

Loss: $1.1 million last year; estimated loss $250,000 this year.

Melbourne
End of October 2006

Total revenue: $14,098,000

Gate takings: $549,000

News Limited grant: $13.11 million

Loss: $781,798

Newcastle
End of December 2006

Total revenue: $19.9 million

Sponsorship: $8.4 million

Gate takings: $3.4 million

Leagues club grant: nil

Profit: $813,000

Parramatta
Total Revenue: $10.12 million

Sponsorship: $2.13 million

Gate takings: $1.49 million

Leagues club grant: $2.57 million

Profit/loss: nil

Penrith
Total revenue: $9,022,000

Sponsorship: $3,136,000

Gate takings: $1.18 million

Leagues club grant: $2.5 million

North QLD
End of October 2005

(latest available)

Total revenue: $12,126,000

Sponsorship: $5,431,000

Gate takings: $3.13 million

Leagues club grant: $2,818,000

Loss: $776,568

Dragons
End of October 2006

Total revenue: $12.7 million

Sponsorship: $5.3 million

Gate takings: $2.7 million, including membership packages

Leagues club grant: $5 million

Profit: $500,000

South Sydney
Projected for 2007

Total revenue: $13 million

Sponsorship: $5.5 million

Gate takings: $2.5 million

Leagues club grant: none

Profit: not available

Roosters
End of October 2006

Total revenue: $13.76 million

Sponsorship: $4.02 million

Gate takings: $1,021,000

Leagues club grant: $4.25 million

Profit: $1350

Warriors
Projected for 2007

Total revenue: $10-12 million

Sponsorship: not available

Gate takings: not available

Leagues club grant: none

Loss: estimated at $600,000 a year.

Wests Tigers
Projected for 2007

Total revenue: $12 million

Sponsorship: $4.3 million

Gate takings: $1.5 million

Leagues club grant: $1.3 million

I see that Melbourne's sponsorship is listed as N/A and that it isn't included in their total revenue. But don't Melbourne have one of the largest sponsorship deals of Australian sporting clubs?

How do Manly and the Tigers ahve the same agte receipts considering Tigers play at Telstra and have bigger crowds

Jobdog

Live Update Team
I agree there are too many teams in Sydney. I say merge Souffs and the Roosters, move the Dogs to Gosford and piss Penrith off altogether ;-)

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Tonearm - that view is typical of the Sydney-centric attitude we need to get away from.

The game won't expand with 9 teams in Greater Sydney.

Mr Saab

Referee
The dogs should be the 1st to go Timmmmmmmmmmah.
As has been started in an earlier post, they dont represent Canterbury anymore...they are now just "The Bulldogs"
Hence they can play out of Perth, Adelaide, Darwin, Wellington, Central Coast....heck even Saudi Arabia

Maroubra Eel

Coach
As much as I hate to say it. maybe it would be a good change for the bulldogs to be relocated. Kind of like a new beginning and a fresh start.

_Johnsy

Referee
Bulldogs
Sponsorship: $3.7 million
Profit: $261,467

Cronulla
Sponsorship: $4.28 million
Profit: club lost about $400,000).

Manly
Sponsorship: $2.9 million
Loss: $1.1 million last year; estimated loss $250,000 this year.

Parramatta
Sponsorship: $2.13 million

Penrith
Sponsorship: $3,136,000
loss: nil

Dragons
Sponsorship: $5.3 million
Profit: $500,000

South Sydney
Sponsorship: $5.5 million
Profit: not available

Roosters
Sponsorship: $4.02 million
Profit: $1350

Wests Tigers
Sponsorship: $4.3 million

Looks like an easy decision who to relocate, anyone in red.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
I would leave the Dragons out of the debate. No need to relocate out of Sydney. They are not really a Sydney team any longer. When I think of Dragons I think of the Illawarra region.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Those suggesting the 'Dogs move are forgetting the extremely proftable Canterbury leagues at Belmore ;-)

Nathan B

Juniors
Timmah said:
Those suggesting the 'Dogs move are forgetting the extremely proftable Canterbury leagues at Belmore ;-)

Profit? Why the concern over such minor issues as profit?

Latest posts