What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tooheys column in todays Sunday Telegraph

Nuffy

Bench
Toohey had some interesting things to say in todays Castle Call column.

Paraphrasing here but he said that Bennett had put all contract discussions on hold indefinitely as he didn't believe it was critical at this time as the performance of the off contract players wasn't justifying continued negotiations and Bennett was happy to wait and see what happens.

He also said even Edwards was on hold due to performance.

Concerningly he also quoted a Knights insider as saying there wasn't going to be a lot of cap relief until 2014 so there wasn't any quick fixes.

He also said that whilst Liki was off contract, his manager indicated he wanted to stay at the club, he had no other offers and time was running out to realise his potential.

No real bright spots in the column.

Can't find a link, sorry.

RABK

Referee
Liki must be averaging about 150m a game, scored 9 tries in his last 7 games and set up just as many for Mate and Mantellato. I wouldn't be surprised if he is in the top 5 for tackle breaks in NSW cup as well. His defence is better than Sau's. He's doing a shit load of appearances for the knights in community and charity work as well. Not sure what else the kid can do to show he's hungry for a first grade opportunity.

Last edited:
Liki has no other offers! That is a big surprise. I like the fact Bennett is making the off contract players play for their futures. About time this club did not give contracts away out of charity.

Last edited:
Edwards must have a very high opinion of himself to hold out on a deal with a Wayne Bennett coached side. He has learned the hard way that Wayne is doing him the favour and not the other way around. I still believe these players are intimidated by Wayne's presence. His aura must be exceptional.

Footin mouth

Juniors
Liki must be averaging about 150m a game, scored 9 tries in his last 7 games and set up just as many for Mate and Mantellato. I wouldn't be surprised if he is in the top 5 for tackle breaks in NSW cup as well. His defence is better than Sau's. He's doing a shit load of appearances for the knights in community and charity work as well. Not sure what else the kid can do to show he's hungry for a first grade opportunity.

LikiLiki plays on the opposite side to Mantellato. Mantellato has scored tries with passes from Briggs, Davis, Sau, O'Donnell and from 2 kicks. The only downfall with Liki is his defense but he is a powerful ball runner. Hope the knights do sign him up for 2-3 years.

stimpy

Juniors
LikiLiki plays on the opposite side to Mantellato. Mantellato has scored tries with passes from Briggs, Davis, Sau, O'Donnell and from 2 kicks. The only downfall with Liki is his defense but he is a powerful ball runner. Hope the knights do sign him up for 2-3 years.

Thats correct footin mouth, and from what ive seen Likiliki hasnt really set up his outside men but scores his tries by dummying to the winger and going himself carrying players over the line, even if his winger is unmarked. the ball very rarely gets past fillipo and likiliki to the winger. Mate scored two tries on the weekend, one from cleaning up a loose likiliki ball and the other from contesting a cross field kick.
Likiliki is a strong ball runner but i think he is a lock or second row not a centre.

eozsmiles

Bench
Toohey had some interesting things to say in todays Castle Call column.

Paraphrasing here but he said that Bennett had put all contract discussions on hold indefinitely as he didn't believe it was critical at this time as the performance of the off contract players wasn't justifying continued negotiations and Bennett was happy to wait and see what happens.

He also said even Edwards was on hold due to performance.

Concerningly he also quoted a Knights insider as saying there wasn't going to be a lot of cap relief until 2014 so there wasn't any quick fixes.

He also said that whilst Liki was off contract, his manager indicated he wanted to stay at the club, he had no other offers and time was running out to realise his potential.

No real bright spots in the column.

Can't find a link, sorry.

Who is coming off contract at the end of 2013?

There are some big names off contract in 2013 code wide. I think patience in the shaping of this squad will yield huge rewards. Names like Gilette, Reed, Thurston, Matt Scott etc. I have no doubt that is the way Bennett is thinking. He will be moving cap space in a truck for 2014 IMO.

It would suck to be off contract at this club. I seriously doubt Wayne will retain many of those.

Last edited:

perverse

Referee
wtf do Canberra need with another tackler? they have Fensom and Papalii already :S

they are free to take him, of course.

aqua_duck

Coach
Btw Daryl Mather must either be one hell of a used car salesman, or he doesn't actually watch Eddy play

perverse

Referee
i picture all player agents as used car salesmen. tbh, it's unflattering to used car salesmen.

Latest posts