What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

toovey attacks the refs

blacklock

Juniors
not literally lol but heres the article

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...pointments-for-vital-game-20120720-22g3q.html

I watched the game and in all honesty...it was one of those matches i didnt really feel the refs were swayed toward either side. if anything a few penalties given were given after the home crowd booing hard enough.

I know we have all done it at one point or another...but at some point coaches need to stop blaming the refs for their side not being able to compete and get the win.

last week, brian smith had every right to blow up about that no try against the roosters. but he pretty much let it go...

toovey probably needs to take a page out of his book. we're developing a culture where teams are trying to game the refs to gain an advantage. the good thing is...lately refs arent giving away penalties and calling out "milking" (justin hodges ahem :) ).

the less teams rely on the ref to get them over the line, the better the football. when you have players appealing to the ref whilst the ball is still in play (tim moltzen appealing for an obstruction last week), they ought to receive zero benefits. play to the whistle and harden up! :)

Cletus

First Grade
Well I agree with him, there was an offside penalty against Manly in the first half where the entire team was clearly onside. It was just one of those mystery penalties. But my biggest problem was the Bulldogs slowing down the ruck and not getting penalised for it. I'm sure most people will disagree with all that but you can't disagree with Toovey complaining abouot those two refs being appointed to what was obviously going to be a high pressure match for them. Oh and Reynolds reminded me of Rivaldo dive in the 2002 world cup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c17aeF7JxAg

carcharias

Immortal
Dogs scored some arsey tries
Manly butchered a few shots
Both teams are merkins
Wish they both lost
Toovs is a goose.

Izz

Bench
'"The second try [to winger Sam Perrett from a Josh Reynolds kick], a metre offside..."
What was Toovey smoking? Perrett was at least a metre onside.

Flapper

First Grade
I agree with him though, Ben Cummins and Brett Suttor is not the combination you have for big games. Not only are they complete f**king spastics at their profession, they're two of the more arrogant ones in the comp. There could've been a penalty or two they could've blown towards Manly earlier but they didn't want to be seen to be swayed by the crowd noise.

See also: Jason Robinson refereeing at any game at Centrebet Stadium.

Grapple

Bench
They could've also given a few more high shots against Canterbury, but chose not to... so I guess it all works out for the best. :)

Flapper

First Grade
They could've also given a few more high shots against Canterbury, but chose not to... so I guess it all works out for the best. :)

Of course it does. As I said, those two are absolutely terrible referees. Game of the round should be officiated by Tony Archer & [INSERT REFEREE HERE]

Grapple

Bench
No doubt they're rubbish, but I thought they let the game flow pretty well in the first 40, which made for a great open game. End of the day you've just gotta deal with the hand (refs) you're dealt, can't have Archer every big game of the round.

Gotta love whinging at the refs though.

Whats Doing

Bench
The problem is that there is not enough NRL standard referees to have one per match let alone 2 clowns out there at the one time.

The sooner they ditch the 2 referee system the better as it has brought the better referees down to a lower standard.

ironhorse

Juniors
wow Toovey . Watching it last night on tv i actually thought Canterbury got the raw end of the decision stick several times, but with the crowd thats called home advantage i thought par for the course. What was the penalty count anyway ?

Flapper

First Grade
The problem is that there is not enough NRL standard referees to have one per match let alone 2 clowns out there at the one time.

The sooner they ditch the 2 referee system the better as it has brought the better referees down to a lower standard.

My dad came up with an idea I thought was actually quite brilliant. With some of the new TV money, pump it into paying an ex-player from each club and train them up to be refs. That way theres more men in pink with an idea how games should be done from a players perspective, as opposed to cold black and white interpretations of some dodgy rules.

Doga

Juniors
Did Toovey have a whinge about all the all the high shots Glen Stuart and co got away with. I counted 3 on James Graham alone. They were all solid hits too. There were high shots on others they got away with too. Manly deliberately targeted the head to hurt the Bulldogs. Good way to stop the Dogs.

As for Reynolds diving - The worst dive on the night was from Steve Matai.

Bananabender

Juniors
Good on ya Toovs! What he was doing is what Desi does all the time anyway. Whinge and carry-on about the refs and even organise meetings with the refs to build their team up. I think Toovs was stirred up with the ex coach factor and trying to give him a taste of his own medicine by biaaatching and carrying-on like his old mentor used to. Well done Toovs...hope it has some effect on Desi. and the refs

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
I've seen far worse performances from the pinkies.

They sure as fugg weren't the reason Manly lost.

Toovey is and always has been a tool.

Danish

Referee
No word from too vey of why watmong wasn't penalised for a clear shoulder to the head of josh Reynolds about 4 score after he kicked the ball?

gronkathon

First Grade
Reffs were poor but to the standard level. Neither side got more poor calls than the other for mine.

I agree with a previous poster on the Manly halves. Was Foran even out there last night?

Flapper

First Grade
No word from too vey of why watmong wasn't penalised for a clear shoulder to the head of josh Reynolds about 4 score after he kicked the ball?

Was that the one where Watmough hit him and Reynolds pulled out a dive Melissa Wu would be proud of? If so there was nothing in that one.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
The referees were terrible, but they didn't affect the outcome.

I agree with Toovey in the sense that Harrigan & Raper need to get a clue - you can't look at the draw, see Manly v Canterbury and just give it to randoms. Shayne Hayne not being one of the referees was an utter embarrassment. 1 or 2 of the best must be refereeing these sorts of games.

Latest posts