What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

toovey attacks the refs

bottle

Coach
A Moanly coach whinging? Say it ain't so. Next thing someone will start a thread saying Matai's a grub.

The horror.

Rabbitude

Juniors
Toovey was complaining that the two best referees should have been appointed to control the match.

I'm surprised that he wasn't asked in the press conference as to who he considers the top 2 referees are.

Ben Cummins was a referee in all of the Origin matches this year so you would think that he must be ranked in the top 2.

The simple fact is that there aren't enough top quality referees in the NRL to support the two referee system.

typicalfan

Coach
My question is why should Manly v Bulldogs be given the best refs. Are those 2 points more valuable than the Cowboys v Tigers or the Eels v Storm. Outside of finals and rep matches, I don't see why they needed the best refs.

Besides one of the decisions Toovey was whinging about was correct anyway. The other decision which was questionable the Stagg contest was ruled by the Video ref anyway.

Rabbitude

Juniors
My question is why should Manly v Bulldogs be given the best refs. Are those 2 points more valuable than the Cowboys v Tigers or the Eels v Storm. Outside of finals and rep matches, I don't see why they needed the best refs.

:clap:

Fantastic post.

juanfarkall

Coach
It is how he said it. He looked like he was about to choke a bitch. Most people would agree with his comments on refereeing in general, but not about the game itself.

I think MacDougall should stomp on his face again. :sarcasm:

One of the major reasons for my dislike of McDougall is that he failed to finish the job on Toovey

typicalfan

Coach
I could take it a bit further. If you wanted to argue that some games have more on the line than others, like finals spots etc which I partially agree with then the game that needed the best refs on that basis was the Warriors v Knights. Both teams are in a battle to sneak into the 8. A bad decision could cost a team the season. Far more on the line than two teams well entrenched in the top 8.

Hard to disagree. Its more to do with ref quality & depth than some arbitrary comparison of the importance of particular games in a particular round.

typicalfan

Coach
Hard to disagree. Its more to do with ref quality & depth than some arbitrary comparison of the importance of particular games in a particular round.
My comment is more in response to Toovey asking why the two best refs weren't out there. He clearly thinks due to the status of the game that it was entitled to have the best officials. I think the source of Tooveys frustration is his own sides inconsistency but they really turned up on Friday night but were turned away by a better side.

I don't agree with him because there were other games this round with as much riding on it, Warriors v Knights moreso, not that I think it automatically makes it entitled to get the best refs. If a guy is good enough to ref Parra v Penrith in the battle for the spoon, then he should be good enough to ref Melbourne v Bulldogs.

Fire

First Grade
Just watched the video. Toovey is a nut job, but it's funny because he's giving it to Suttor :lol:

not literally lol but heres the article

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...pointments-for-vital-game-20120720-22g3q.html

I watched the game and in all honesty...it was one of those matches i didnt really feel the refs were swayed toward either side. if anything a few penalties given were given after the home crowd booing hard enough.

I know we have all done it at one point or another...but at some point coaches need to stop blaming the refs for their side not being able to compete and get the win.

last week, brian smith had every right to blow up about that no try against the roosters. but he pretty much let it go...

toovey probably needs to take a page out of his book. we're developing a culture where teams are trying to game the refs to gain an advantage. the good thing is...lately refs arent giving away penalties and calling out "milking" (justin hodges ahem :) ).

the less teams rely on the ref to get them over the line, the better the football. when you have players appealing to the ref whilst the ball is still in play (tim moltzen appealing for an obstruction last week), they ought to receive zero benefits. play to the whistle and harden up! :)

Brian Smith in his time with us has had at least a dozen games where he would be absolutely 100% correct in criticising the referees in the post match press conference and all he ever says is "ohhh we're improving, I saw good signs, blah blah blah"

Whinging after every game like Manly do shouldn't happen but I wish he would do it when it's warranted.

Talking about Ballin as dirty for sledging Ennis. Good example of a deluded bulldogs fan right here.

lol No, he was dirty because of his constant sleeper holds.

Your whole team was playing dirty, targeting the heads of our players.

Funny thing is, your team won the penalty count yet your team and supporters still have the hide to have a cry.

It's sickening.

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
Brian Smith in his time with us has had at least a dozen games where he would be absolutely 100% correct in criticising the referees in the post match press conference and all he ever says is "ohhh we're improving, I saw good signs, blah blah blah"

Whinging after every game like Manly do shouldn't happen but I wish he would do it when it's warranted.
Interesting... I watch the post match each week and this is the first time Toovey has gone off. In fact, its really the first time I've seen him elaborate on the state or referees at all this season.

I get worried when I hear we talk about an expanded competition. That's 2 more refs that can't make the cut now that will be running around in pink. It was a good idea on paper to have 2 refs, but it hasn't worked. Its adding inconsistent rulings between sets, let alone each game. A clean out needs to start at the top.

lol No, he was dirty because of his constant sleeper holds.

Your whole team was playing dirty, targeting the heads of our players.

Funny thing is, your team won the penalty count yet your team and supporters still have the hide to have a cry.

It's sickening.

My mistake. First its all Ballins fault for sledging Ennis and now its sleeper holds. First its just Ballin and now its the whole team.

Good to see your able to broaden your whinging horizons to encompass more BS to suit.

Its funny to witness a winning whinger.

My mistake. First its all Ballins fault for sledging Ennis and now its sleeper holds. First its just Ballin and now its the whole team.

Good to see your able to broaden your whinging horizons to encompass more BS to suit.

Its funny to witness a winning whinger.

Des brought some of it over from Manly too. :lol:

I heard that automatic & uneccessary whinging was especially written into Haslers contract by Uncle Toddy as it fitted in with the clubs culture & the bulldogs fanbase mentality.

lol Stop trying to pass the whinging crown onto us, it's not going to happen.

We're more likely to blame our players than the refs.

Whilst your fans blame the world and everything in it before looking closer to home.

Oh and ......

scaled.php