What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Top 10 centres today

PB

Bench
Messiah said:
I think it's a myth that Jamie Lyon is a myth. Funny, he playes rep game for Australia - he moves to England & all of a sudden he's not that good because he's playing in a inferior competition :roll:

Well that's prolly why he got the Man of Steel award

Adrian Brunker once got the "Man of Steel Award". Say no more.....

He's not a myth, and if you base skill solely as the value of the player, he is handy, but would you really want him at your club.....?

Kiwi

First Grade
It's good to see people starting to notice the new and improved Justin Hodges is a much better player than when he had a big attitude problem.

This is how I rate them

1 - Gasnier
2 - Hodges ( will be ranked the best by years end )
3 - Tate
4 - Cooper
5 - Whatuira ( very under rated by many )
6 - King
7 - Tahu
8 - Bell
9 - Tonga
10 - Bowman

Centres on the rise

Inglis
Soliola
B Smith

Left out ESL based players simply because I don't see them play. Tonga is so low only because he has been injured, he'll be higher by years end if injury doesn't rear it's ugly head again.

1. Lyon
2. Gasnier
3. Whatuira
4. King
5. Soliola
6. Hape
7. Inglis
8. Ty Williams
9. Hodges
10. Vagana

Ty Williams looks the goods at centre, and Willie Tonga should force his way back into this list this season.

God-King Dean

Immortal
PB said:
Adrian Brunker once got the "Man of Steel Award". Say no more.....

He's not a myth, and if you base skill solely as the value of the player, he is handy, but would you really want him at your club.....?

Yes. I think he's a better centre than Cooper, plus it looks like Barrett is gone & Lyon can play 5/8th.

sooperdooper

First Grade
i actually wonder how ppl can rate bell so highly!
sure he was voted most under reated but he isnt that great. you will see this!

ppl laughing at ben smith and tahu in there... well i guess you didnt watch to much footy last year!

who ever thinks soliolia is better than b smith is kidding!
ben smith 14 tries from 18 games or somethign!

Ive never rated Whatuira that highly, until late last season. A solid centre, but always found a way over the tryline.

Of the others - Hodges has improved out of sight since heading back to the broncos.

Top 3 - Gasnier, Tate, King. Box the rest.

PB

Bench
1. Gasnier
2. Whatuira
3. B.Smith
4. Cooper
5. King
6. Tahu
7. Tate
8. Bell
9. Hodges
10. P. Graham

Lyon, as mentioned, has been a 5/8 for the last two years.

Big Pete

Referee
sooperdooper said:
i dont know how you can have inglis in there yet

Based on QRL form and first grade form I can. He seems to have something special about him and I havn't seen Lyon play since 2003 so I can't judge him.

Bell is a good player, able to find the line or find a gap and is always threatening.

Mr Saab

Referee
gr8_1 said:
Shane Elford would have to be in the top 10. He owned Gasnier in 2005.

and Mundine "owned" Daley and Fittler (his words not mine) yet you wouldnt pick him over those 2. Well some would, i wouldnt.
Elford may have "owned" Gasnier is a couple of games, but he didnt really shine throughout the other games. He is solid and has improved but he is not a top 10 centre.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Raider_69 said:
1. Jason Bulgarelli
2. Jared Anderson
3. Greg Woolfgram
4. Matt Gafa
5. Daylight

Lol Çlinton Toopi would make that list on a bad day, yet he'd make the best list on a good day... go figure.

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
PB said:
Lyon, as mentioned, has been a 5/8 for the last two years.

No he hasn't, he's played about 4 games there. He's been a centre for the last two years. And he's a class above Gasnier, Whatuira, Hodges etc. ESL may be a lower level of competition, but he's absolutely blitzed it. I haven't seen him play a bad game over there, he's had a couple of quiet ones but has played a huge part in every game.

:lol: At the Broncos fans saying Hodges is better, and the Roosters fans saying Cross and/or Soliola are better, absolutely no idea.

borat

Bench
1. Gasnier
2. Lyon
3. Cooper
4. King
5. Tate
6. Whatuira
7. Tonga
8. Vagana
9. Bell
10. Cross

bluesbreaker

Bench
Saying Hodges and Cross/soliola is better than Lyon is like saying Tahu is one of the 10 best centres in the game...

Godz Illa

Coach
ParraDude_Jay said:
ESL may be a lower level of competition, but he's absolutely blitzed it.
Interesting argument. It's not the standard of competition that matters, but only the extent to which you "blitz" it.

4 tries a game is my conservative estimate of Gasnier's impact on Premier League btw.

sooperdooper

First Grade
i dont where ppl are pulling inglis from
qld dont count!
and 7 nrl matches doesnt really do justice!

isolia? gee if he is in the top 10 nrl are in trouble