What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Top 10 centres today

Tommy Smith

Referee
ParraDude_Jay said:
No he hasn't, he's played about 4 games there. He's been a centre for the last two years. And he's a class above Gasnier, Whatuira, Hodges etc. ESL may be a lower level of competition, but he's absolutely blitzed it. I haven't seen him play a bad game over there, he's had a couple of quiet ones but has played a huge part in every game.

:lol: At the Broncos fans saying Hodges is better, and the Roosters fans saying Cross and/or Soliola are better, absolutely no idea.
Hodges circa late-2002 to early-2003 (before his ACL) was the best centre ive seen since Renouf. If he ever fully recaptures that form then im sure he'll become the best centre in the game again.

As for Ryan Cross, well he was by far our second best player last year behind the Golden Boot winner. When he was out for 6 weeks we could barely score a try. People dont rate him that highly which is fair enough (each to their own), but Mark Gasnier is the only centre in the game IMO who could successfully replace what he does for our team. Without Crossy we cant win the comp...not many centres make that impact.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Bring Back the Spliff said:
Saints fans put gasnier...Parra fans put Lyon...And Raiders fans are even putting PHIL PHREAKING GRAHAM in there!!!!! :lol:

***YAWN***
:p

the only one i see putting Graham here was PB, and that user is not a raiders fan to my knowledge
but IMO Graham is not far from the list, awesome player

Pffff!

Lyon = a big fish in a small pond.

Yet to be the #1 centre in the NRL...and therefore - the world.

As for Graham...He'd make the top 25.

And that's where it ends for him. One needs a lot more than just pace...to be a good player, I'm afraid.

Big Pete

Referee
sooperdooper said:
i dont where ppl are pulling inglis from
qld dont count!
and 7 nrl matches doesnt really do justice!

isolia? gee if he is in the top 10 nrl are in trouble

You havn't been watching him play then have you? He has a spark that other players don't have, it's not like I'm being biast, if I was I would have Berrigan in there. :p

No one has been watching Hodges play have they? Sure he isn't as fast anymore but he's still strong and has great ball skills and was one of the best players on the field during the match in round 1 against a blistering Cowboys outfit.

Inglis is very special talent indeed!...I have been aware of this since he ripped the Bulldogs a new one when the Storm played us in the latter parts of last year.

But top 10?...Not just yet! By the END of this season though - he will be in the top 3 or 4 for SURE!

Raider_69

Post Whore
Bring Back the Spliff said:
As for Graham...He'd make the top 25.

And that's where it ends for him. One needs a lot more than just pace...to be a good player, I'm afraid.

he has alot more then pace, his defence has picked up big time the last year or so, he has awesome footwork and great anticipation (hence his intercepts), he has all the hallmarks to be one the best centres in the comp, i think under the new coach we may see the potential unleshed :) Even under elliotts no attack regime, he still has one of the best strike rates in the comp.

but i agree, atm id have him inside the top 15-20, wouldnt say top 10

sooperdooper

First Grade
Big Pete said:
You havn't been watching him play then have you? He has a spark that other players don't have, it's not like I'm being biast, if I was I would have Berrigan in there. :p

No one has been watching Hodges play have they? Sure he isn't as fast anymore but he's still strong and has great ball skills and was one of the best players on the field during the match in round 1 against a blistering Cowboys outfit.

i have been watching him but qld cup games from last year dnt do much :)
neither does the whole fact of 7 games and not all at centre

Raider_69 said:
he has alot more then pace, his defence has picked up big time the last year or so, he has awesome footwork and great anticipation (hence his intercepts), he has all the hallmarks to be one the best centres in the comp, i think under the new coach we may see the potential unleshed :) Even under elliotts no attack regime, he still has one of the best strike rates in the comp.

but i agree, atm id have him inside the top 15-20, wouldnt say top 10

His defence was entirely WOEFUL in the past!...I reckon even the tackling bags at Raiders training would have given him the brush-off in past seasons!

IF he's picked this area of his game up - WAY up - he could have some potential in him, I spose...

Big Pete

Referee
sooperdooper said:
i have been watching him but qld cup games from last year dnt do much :)
neither does the whole fact of 7 games and not all at centre

Better re-watch those tapes then because everyone else seems to place him in the same spot as I did.

he's a class above Gasnier, Whatuira, Hodges etc. ESL may be a lower level of competition, but he's absolutely blitzed it.

:lol: :lol:

So he's a class above some of the best centres in the NRL (i.e, the best competition in the World) because he blitzed a league that you yourself refer to as a "lower level of competition"?

sooperdooper

First Grade
Big Pete said:
Better re-watch those tapes then because everyone else seems to place him in the same spot as I did.
not everyone...
i had not seen him in QLD, it was a type. only nrl!
he has played so little games to have this wrap

ali

Bench
Onan the barbarian said:
Bell anyone?

I know he's been mentioned, but Bell anyone:lol: .

I'd have King at 2, Lyons is a EPL player and King is a champ who plays for Australia.

I think Lyon is probably about the same or maybe better than Gaz. Hape would have to be in the top 6 or 7. Not sure on Senior's form, but Kirk Yeamon just got player of the month in the Super League so would have to go close to the top 10.

parra pete

Referee
Jamie Lyon = SELF centred.
What do Jane Saville, Jamie Lyon and Adam Gilchrist have in common?

They are all WALKERS.

Meanie

Juniors
ParraDude_Jay said:
:lol: At the Broncos fans saying Hodges is better, .

This makes me seriously question on what basis people are making ANY assertions on the Broncos. Hodges was one of the Broncos best last year and he was their best on the weekend. Are people actually watching him play for the Broncos or just pulling their knobs?

Meanie

Juniors
sooperdooper said:
not everyone...
i had not seen him in QLD, it was a type. only nrl!
he has played so little games to have this wrap

No speaka tha Engrish a good ya?

Meanie said:
Hodges was one of the Broncos best last year and he was their best on the weekend. Are people actually watching him play for the Broncos or just pulling their knobs?

They're pulling. It could be that their dislike of him is getting in the way of true judgement.