What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Top 10 Markets in Australia and the NRL's Presence

Not this year

Thursday Sydney avg
Featuring Broncos 214k
Not Featuring Broncos 240k

16k difference

Friday Sydney Audience avg
games featuring Broncos 181k
games not featuring Broncos 226k

45k difference

Brisbane audiences

Thursday Brisbane audience avg
Featuring Broncos 175k
Not featuring Broncos 121k

54k difference

Friday Brisbane audience avg
games featuring Broncos 193k
games not featuring Broncos 128k

65k difference

net difference
thursday +39k
Friday +20k
So despite how shit the Donkeys have been this year, they're still drawing more viewers to TV. Not bad.

How's Melbourne going?

A simple, “I’m sorry I was wrong” would have sufficed :)
Not really, as I said the ratings are much higher in Brisbane when the Broncos are playing.

You then spoke about Sydney, which is completely irrelevant.

I don't see what your point is given the cumulative viewership of Sydney and Brisbane this season has been higher when the Broncos are playing.

You didn't state the figures were for this year either, which is strange as the season hasn't finished. We won't know the full story for 2020 until the season is over.

You speculated that the new Brissie team may not be as popular as the Broncs. NQ and GC average 157,000 in Brissie. When no Queensland team is on thr averagr drops to 107k. You cannot seriously believe Brissie2 would average less in Brissie than NQ and GC are able to draw, and they get 50k more than games that have no Queensland team.

Last edited:

jim_57

Staff member
You could twist it either way as this thread showed pretty quick.

I think people are quick to forget Auckland in these type of debates as well, they offset not having a team in Perth or Adelaide somewhat.

For what it's worth I'd like to see a team in Perth and Adelaide eventually BUT I think the NRL have a big equaliser with Canberra, Auckland, NQ & Newcastle which are 4 markets the AFL will probably never have a team.

You could twist it either way as this thread showed pretty quick.

I think people are quick to forget Auckland in these type of debates as well, they offset not having a team in Perth or Adelaide somewhat.

For what it's worth I'd like to see a team in Perth and Adelaide eventually BUT I think the NRL have a big equaliser with Canberra, Auckland, NQ & Newcastle which are 4 markets the AFL will probably never have a team.
I used to be all for a team in Perth and Adelaide. Not any more. I think it would be a waste of time to go anywhere near Adelaide ad it is as fiercely fumbleball and insular as Melbourne. Perth does have some potential and probably deserves a team at some stage, but I think it is too soon to look at Perth. AwFuL didn't go to GWS and GC until they got their heartland where they wanted it. We still have so much growth left in Brisbane, NZ and even regional NSW. Perth will require millions of dollars investment per year in advertising just to grt their brand known to thr public, as the local media isn't going to give them any favours. The NRL hasn't shown much interest in doing that sort of thing over the last 20 years and are on record saying there will be no expansion to Perth, Adelaide or Melbourne.

I get the impression that Origin is more important to the ARLC than Tests, so they will probably go Bris3 for 18th team, although NZ 2 would bring its own benefits. I think the problem for NZ 2 is there's only one bid, whereas Brissie has heaps of them. South Pacific Cyclones could help grow the game in NZ, Samoa, Tonga, Fiji and PNG. It would draw good support from the public. Only issue would be finding a financial backer.

Perth would add a few thousand participants and viewers, but it won't be as fruitful as Brissie and NZ. 10,000 new juniors from Perth would be nice, but it does nothing for Origin and few of them will make it to the NRL. They can get more than that from Queensland and NSW with the right promotion and rule changes to make the game friendlier to smaller men.

Last edited:

flippikat

Bench
NRL could argue it is the biggest football comp in the Pacific right?
We should really be aiming to take over NZ. Its weird that they prefer Rugba Union.

Got to remember that for a long time RL in New Zealand fought a lot of barriers. Sure, not quite on the level of WW2 Vichy France.. but going from rugby union to sign for "that other code" was pretty much a dirty sin.

RU had (still has) a lot of sway.. and it's always been an 'everyman game' here - not tarred with that upper-class stigma that it long carried in England or Australia.

Even though a lot of the barriers have gone (players, coaches & administrators can switch codes in both directions, grounds are available for both RU & RL, more schools have RL teams).. rugby league is still seen as the poor little brother to rugby union here.

The image of rugby union being a rather more global game than league just re-enforces that view in most Kiwi's minds.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not really, as I said the ratings are much higher in Brisbane when the Broncos are playing.

You then spoke about Sydney, which is completely irrelevant.

I don't see what your point is given the cumulative viewership of Sydney and Brisbane this season has been higher when the Broncos are playing.

You didn't state the figures were for this year either, which is strange as the season hasn't finished. We won't know the full story for 2020 until the season is over.

You speculated that the new Brissie team may not be as popular as the Broncs. NQ and GC average 157,000 in Brissie. When no Queensland team is on thr averagr drops to 107k. You cannot seriously believe Brissie2 would average less in Brissie than NQ and GC are able to draw, and they get 50k more than games that have no Queensland team.

my point is the value to tv isn’t as great as you like to make out when you look at the whoLe picture. Yes games involving the broncos rate much better in Brisbane, but they also rate poorer in Sydney so the overall picture isn’t as big an audience gain as you’re making out. Is fta going to pay more than $14mill a year more each year for 20-40k extra viewers?

my point is the value to tv isn’t as great as you like to make out when you look at the whoLe picture. Yes games involving the broncos rate much better in Brisbane, but they also rate poorer in Sydney so the overall picture isn’t as big an audience gain as you’re making out. Is fta going to pay more than $14mill a year more each year for 20-40k extra viewers?
It is in Brisbane.

173k (Broncos) vs 107k (no QLD team) is a huge difference.

You're selectively looking at less than a handful of games from this season and ignoring what has been happening for years to suit your agenda. 2020 is unlike any other year.