What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Top 10 overrated players in the NRL

Master Vitaly

Juniors
The Warriors have done fine without Jones except for the minor hiccup against the Knights where Gidley played the game of his life.. St.George went down, the 'Mighty Broncos' last week and the "Champion Roosters" today.. 8)

aqua_duck

Coach
Mad Duck said:
knightingale said:
Last 10 games without Johns - Knights have won 3. Last 10 games without Lockyer - Broncos have won 2.

Take Origin Out. The Knights have won 6 from their last 10, the Broncos have won 3.

Gee. Think a bit. Halfbacks are the game, take them out, a whole new game plan needs to be developed. That takes time. Look at Canberra in 1993. Unbeatable, Ricky gets hurt, never win another game.
I don't understand you're reasoning. You talk about how important the halfback is, but the rest of what you say seems to be pointing to Lockyer, a fullback, being more important to his team than Johns is to Newcastle.

Although what those stats don't show is the huge injury list that the Broncos have had since around Origin 3. Besides Lockyer, we've had every other play-maker in the club injured, as well as Tallis, Carroll, Tate, Minto and a few other first graders.
well if you want to point out injuries and missing personel, well at some stage this season the knights have been without

1.O'Davis
2.Tahu
3.Quinn
4.Hughes
5.MacDougall
6.Gidley
7.Johns
8.Perry
9.Buderus
10.Parsons
11.Simpson
12.Woolnough
13.Kennedy

On average the knights have had 7 first graders unavailable everyweek.
As for the Lockyer Johns thing, why is it that when Knights can't win without Johns it makes them a one man team, but when broncos don't win without Lockyer no one even suggest the one man team notion, its because of "lockyer's importance" to the team. :roll: :roll:

Terminator

First Grade
Johns is quite possibly the most gifted footballer ever to play, and if he was in any of your teams you would probably agree, anyone who thinks Buderus is overated must be blind.

wavell_cowboy

Juniors
That bloody Clinton Shifcofske is quite over rated for mine. he has had a half decent year which he hasnt made as many mistakes in years gone by. Raiders fans have pounced on it and run with him being one of the greats. And if someone tells me yet again that he very safe well for mine very safe is a cover for very boring. Wesser, Minichello, Bowen and Lockyer are all "safe" but still they seem to light the crowd whenever they touch the ball.

Rudolph

Juniors
Has anyone put Ali Lauiti'iti. Hes a great player and all, but not the "Michael Jordan" of rugby league, or is this only coming from New Zealand.

Quite apart from missing more tackles and dropping more ball then anyone else in the team, if you look at the Warriors alone, Faumuina, Lauiti'iti, and Meli are all far more talented then he is.

Meli more talented than Toopi do u watch the game with your eyes closed. But he does have his defensive problem and maybe that reflects on Meli?.

knightsno1fan

Juniors
terminator007 said:
Johns is quite possibly the most gifted footballer ever to play, and if he was in any of your teams you would probably agree, anyone who thinks Buderus is overated must be blind.
Yeah I agree, whoever thinks Buderus is overrated needs to open their eyes! The bloke's a workhorse and he always gives 110%. He's had one of the biggest workloads this season and has not once not delieved on the field.

warriors_no 1

Juniors
Bailey said:
In no particular order:

1 Craig Gower
2 Scott Hill
3 Robbie Kearns
4 Matt Gidley
5 Jason Stevens
6 Willie Mason
7 Owen Craigie
8 Brett Hodgson
9 Adam Dykes
10 Clinton Toopi
How can you say toopi overated when hes just good at beating a player 1on1 8)

PJ Marshal

Coach
1. Braith Anasta
2. Adam Dykes
3. Gorden Tallis
4. Brett Kimmorley
5. Matt Gidley
6. Timana Tahu
7. Michael Vella
8. Jason Stevens
9. Scott Hill
10. Trent Barrett

Dougie

Juniors
Braith Anasta
Brett Kimmorley
Matt Gidley
Timana Tahu
Brent Tate

thats about all i can think of atm

Anonymous

Juniors
Has anyone put Ali Lauiti'iti. Hes a great player and all, but not the "Michael Jordan" of rugby league, or is this only coming from New Zealand.

He's underrated if anything. People like you just don't understand. Clinton Toopi has a lot of talent in capitalising on the good work of others to boost his try tally, I'll give you that.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
TALLIS
TALLIS
TALLIS
TALLIS
TALLIS

Im sorry. But he's a joke, 8 years ago he was the hottest property around, the last 2 years he's beena total wet dog.

I also think "webke the best prop" irritates me. He played well int eh test match, but origin and all year he aint been setting the world on fire.

Luke Bailey has been far better than him this year.

Gower over rated? He's not exactly rated is he? Quiet achiever for mine.

Willie Mason - Purely a big game player, if the game aint big, he dont step upto it

Ricketson - enough said.

This final one will make me unpopular, but Matty Bowen.

Great on attack, twinkle toes, great talent. But cmon, wheres the consistency, wheres thsoe tries, when a game is tight. Not when tehyre down by 20 and the opposition jsut crusing till fulltime, or when the cowboys have the game in the bag.

Ill get attacked ont he last one I know, but he aint deserivng of those QLD jumpers he got this year ahead of Schicofske and Wesser. OR even webb for that matter. Dead set farce.

Anonymous

Juniors
Gower over rated? He's not exactly rated is he? Quiet achiever for mine.

Pull the other one mate, people have been screaming Gower's name from the hills since 1997 when he was a 19 year old playing for Australia. In the mean time he led Penrith to a wooden spoon in 2001 and second last in 2002, with 2 years of terrible form. I don't think he should get off the hook so easily because he's gone good this year.

Rudolph

Juniors
Thierry Henry said:
He's underrated if anything. People like you just don't understand. Clinton Toopi has a lot of talent in capitalising on the good work of others to boost his try tally, I'll give you that.

I don't believe i said Toopi was great player just pointed out that his skill level was higher than Meli. Don't you think Meli also has capitalised on others good work to score most of his tries?

Anonymous

Juniors
I don't believe i said Toopi was great player just pointed out that his skill level was higher than Meli. Don't you think Meli also has capitalised on others good work to score most of his tries?

What skill? Toopi can't throw a pass or kick or anything to save himself. He can't tackle either. Francis has even had a shot at goal this year, and he has a beautiful pass both ways, and that's without mentioning the cross-field kick to Faumuina against Cronulla.

A lot of Francis' tries are created by others, but not as many as Toopi's. Also, he creates a lot more tries for others than Toopi does. Also, defenders are attracted away from Toopi by the superior players either side of him, giving him more room to move.

skeepe

Immortal
1. Luke Ricketson
2. Bryan Fletcher
3. Timana Tahu
4. Matt Gidley
5. Robbie O'Davis
6. Shannon Hegarty
7. Willie Mason
8. Jason Ryles
9. Michael Vella
10. Brett Tate