What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Top 35 is up

Gronk

Staff member
You don't like the glory years?

Glory years are no good to Jake, then he'd have nothing to complain about. So negative ...

fighting_62.gif

lingard

Coach
Time can certainly be modelled as a continuum, with individual moments represented as points along said continuum. This is the linear perception of time - this is time as we experience it.

So while you mightn't be aware of Cameron's new role at the club at this point in time, you certainly were well aware of it at a previous point in time (likely multiple points actually) and these points in time all lay along the continuum representing that range of time prior to the present - the time we have already experienced.

My hope for you, and I'm sure I'm not alone in this feeling, is that you once again become aware of the title of Matt Cameron's new role at the club at a future point in time - that is, a point (or points) in time along the continuum which represents that range of time yet to be experienced.

Of course, none of this takes into account alternate models of time, many of which would see you simultaneously knowing and not knowing what Cameron will be doing at the Eels in 2012.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

That`s unreal. Best you`ve ever done.

lingard

Coach
Fair point.

He could defend at fullback with Hayne coming up into the line. You're right that it's hard to hide two blokes in the defensive line. I'd say Barba won't play first grade until he's a lot bigger.

Sandow's BMI is just fine for first grade (about 26); his problem is he's too short (173cm).

Barba is nearly as short (174cm according to the club's website) but his BMI is under 23 - far too skinny.

Even if he did bulk up he would still be short, and teams would have weak defensive options on both sides of the field to target, if he and Sandow were in the defensive line together. That's why I think Barba might play fullback if he came on. Even there he has his weaknesses, as we saw this year in Toyota Cup.

Can you do the BMI`s of our whole squad? I think that would be a really helpful stat.

Noise

Coach
Can you do the BMI`s of our whole squad? I think that would be a really helpful stat.

BMI is a very misleading calculation. It only takes into account height and weight, not muscle mass. In fact most footballers would be in the obese category based on BMI norms.

Skin calipers provide more accurate readings as do buoyancy tanks. I think Poupou should use these methods on our squad then report back

lingard

Coach
I'd imagine that Jacob Loko will partner Tonga in the centres.

Actually, I just had a quick browse, I think he's only 16.
He played in the SG Ball this year, but I'm not sure how he went.

Then again, I could have the wrong info, and he may not be 16.

Either way, he's a great talent, and will no doubt feature somewhere in the NYC side very, very soon.

Or he could be at that point in the continuum where he`s both 16 and not 16 simultaneously. That would really confuse the opposition!

lingard

Coach
Much stronger squad than last year, more depth and better players in key positions, i think Parra can definitely make a dent on the 8 if they stay consistent throughout the year with the players they have

You`re probably right, mate. Now it`s up to the coach, I guess. He`s really an unknown quantity still. What do Souths fans make of your new coach? Happy?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
BMI is a very misleading calculation. It only takes into account height and weight, not muscle mass. In fact most footballers would be in the obese category based on BMI norms.

Considering we're talking about professional footballers, we can assume low body fat except in the case of players who are obviously obese.

Skin calipers provide more accurate readings as do buoyancy tanks.

See now you're talking specifically about body fat. I was quite clearly referring to muscle mass, though you're obviously parroting the common BMI disclaimer because you mistakenly think it applies in this situation.

If we were talking about players being too fat then your warning about the usefulness (or otherwise) of BMI would be applicable. Alas, we are talking about a couple of halfbacks who can run 40 metres in about 4 seconds.

lingard

Coach

Skin calipers provide more accurate readings as do buoyancy tanks. I think Poupou should use these methods on our squad then report back

Ohh! I f**kin` love skin calipers.

Noise

Coach
Considering we're talking about professional footballers, we can assume low body fat except in the case of players who are obviously obese.

See now you're talking specifically about body fat. I was quite clearly referring to muscle mass, though you're obviously parroting the common BMI disclaimer because you mistakenly think it applies in this situation.

If we were talking about players being too fat then your warning about the usefulness (or otherwise) of BMI would be applicable. Alas, we are talking about a couple of halfbacks who can run 40 metres in about 4 seconds.

And like i said, BMI does not take muscle mass into account. It also does not distinguish if someone is too fat.

Latest posts