What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Top 5 coaches in NRL

Eels Dude

Coach
Huge call, i'm a big fan and stoked doggies got him but still hard to take it off bennett.

Also smith over sheens?

In the past 4 years Hasler has won 2 premierships and reached a further grand final in just an 8 year coaching career. Bennett deserves the acolades over time but if you're judging on recent achievements I think Hasler desevers the nod. Smith over Sheens yes because out of the past 14 seasons of Sheen's coaching career he's only taking his side to the finals on 3 occasions.

I'm not basing my assessment on past accolades, moreso putting more weighting on recent results, which is what all sports ranking systems do when it comes to ranking systems of any kind.

DoggiesBro

Juniors
In the past 4 years Hasler has won 2 premierships and reached a further grand final in just an 8 year coaching career. Bennett deserves the acolades over time but if you're judging on recent achievements I think Hasler desevers the nod. Smith over Sheens yes because out of the past 14 seasons of Sheen's coaching career he's only taking his side to the finals on 3 occasions.

I'm not basing my assessment on past accolades, moreso putting more weighting on recent results, which is what all sports ranking systems do when it comes to ranking systems of any kind.

Hard to argue with des based on recent results but overall i think wayne deserves the nod.

If its recent results didnt tigers make the 8 and the roosters were back fighting off the spoon? I told my mate when the roosters sign smith enjoy one great season and the rest duds, he seems to do this everywhere he goes! comes in loads them up with kiwi boys and has 1 cracker of a season only for them all to hate him eventually and then the rest turns to crap till he gets the boot.

MSIH

Bench
Des is Number 1. He's tops - but will be No.2 to Tooves within 10 (Des won't last past 4 at the Dogs anyway; he always said he wasn't a career coach; he's just taking his Super early).

Eels Dude

Coach
Hard to argue with des based on recent results but overall i think wayne deserves the nod.

If its recent results didnt tigers make the 8 and the roosters were back fighting off the spoon? I told my mate when the roosters sign smith enjoy one great season and the rest duds, he seems to do this everywhere he goes! comes in loads them up with kiwi boys and has 1 cracker of a season only for them all to hate him eventually and then the rest turns to crap till he gets the boot.

Yeah as I said I just put my weight on recent results more and it is a tough call. Hasler in the past 5 years taken his side to 2 premierships and a further Grand final. There's no doubting Wayne Bennett is a much greater coach in overall history, one the greatest of all time though his achievements speak for themselves.

In regards to Sheens and Smith... well Smith has had a couple of minor premierships to his name, a couple of grand finals, Sheens only real claim to fame since the mid 90's is a premiership in '05. Which he deserves credit for. But in overall consistency since the mid 90's Smith has been a far better coach and it was only last year he took his side to a grand final which is a pretty damn good recent result.

DoggiesBro

Juniors
Des is Number 1. He's tops - but will be No.2 to Tooves within 10 (Des won't last past 4 at the Dogs anyway; he always said he wasn't a career coach; he's just taking his Super early).

:lol:

Classic stuff.

More realistic is manly to fold before des's contract expires. Des will take the dogs back to where they belong and you clearly know it, which is why you keep bagging des with the dogs and hyping up toovey to be number 1 LOL. classic stuff.

While your at it is Rose the best prop in the world or what!? Hard with Kings man of the match preformance with nsw for a massive 6 metres i know!

Last edited:

lol f**k you, Des and Toovs; you all have one thing in common... Manly scum.

Your trolling is terrible, surely you're better than that.

come at me bro

Mr Saab

Referee
Kearney....supercoach.

Phil Rothfield thought he was. He ranked him as the #2 coach entering 2011...all based on a few coaching efforts for the NZ test team. Sure, he won the four nations and the world cup, but the grind of an NRL season in a bit different. Ok, he didnt recruit all the nuffies he had to coach in 2011. but he did bomb out.
2012 is a big yr for him

Tizzun

Juniors
Phil Rothfield thought he was. He ranked him as the #2 coach entering 2011...all based on a few coaching efforts for the NZ test team. Sure, he won the four nations and the world cup, but the grind of an NRL season in a bit different. Ok, he didnt recruit all the nuffies he had to coach in 2011. but he did bomb out.
2012 is a big yr for him

Watching the NZ team play doesn't fill me with confidence.

Seage

Juniors
Over the cap for 1 season.....a season where they lost the decider. They felt the cost of that and came back and still won a competition.

winning percentage is low, but his finals record is amazing and second only to Bennett through premiership wins. At the end of the day, that statistic is the most valuable.

I would pick him in a top 5.

He has been coaching for a hundred years. What did you expect?

1. Bennett
2. Bennett
3. Bennett
4. Bennett
5. Bellamy

Big Pete

Referee
You could name a Top 5, but the only coaches who deserve any recognition are Bennett, Hasler and Bellamy. The rest are either too inexperienced or really, not that good.

Wato

Juniors
Yeah as I said I just put my weight on recent results more and it is a tough call. Hasler in the past 5 years taken his side to 2 premierships and a further Grand final. There's no doubting Wayne Bennett is a much greater coach in overall history, one the greatest of all time though his achievements speak for themselves.

In regards to Sheens and Smith... well Smith has had a couple of minor premierships to his name, a couple of grand finals, Sheens only real claim to fame since the mid 90's is a premiership in '05. Which he deserves credit for. But in overall consistency since the mid 90's Smith has been a far better coach and it was only last year he took his side to a grand final which is a pretty damn good recent result.

That is just rubbish. In the past five years Bennett has built two premiership sides (2006,2010) at two different clubs while Hasler has coached the same side for 8 years for the same return.

HowHigh

Coach
:lol:

Classic stuff.

More realistic is manly to fold before des's contract expires. Des will take the dogs back to where they belong and you clearly know it, which is why you keep bagging des with the dogs and hyping up toovey to be number 1 LOL. classic stuff.

While your at it is Rose the best prop in the world or what!? Hard with Kings man of the match preformance with nsw for a massive 6 metres i know!
The wooden spoon

DoggiesBro

Juniors
The wooden spoon

Alot of ass hurt dragon fans here aren't there. I spose the clubs clinging on and begging for money are all sticking together lol. No suprise they have both merged already LOL.

Don't worry guys the dogs will be round for you to hate long after you guys are broke and merge. OH WAIT...

blaza88z

Coach
I think it's funny how Dog's fans are now bowing down to the Des and Knight's fans are doing the same for Bennett

We already know how good Bennett is, we will see how good Des is with that team going on there at Canterbury

DoggiesBro

Juniors
I think it's funny how Dog's fans are now bowing down to the Des and Knight's fans are doing the same for Bennett

We already know how good Bennett is, we will see how good Des is with that team going on there at Canterbury

Hey if wayne could get st merge there first title i think the knights are in for a good shake. des has always been a good coach, as others have said there is only 3 coaches worth talking about bellamy is the other.

Well I don't think you can generalise, this was my post from earlier on in the thread to MSIH:

lol f**k you, Des and Toovs; you all have one thing in common... Manly scum.

Your trolling is terrible, surely you're better than that.

As far as im concerned Des is still Manly scum until 2013; couldn't care less about him right now.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Sheens has won 4 premierships he has to be in the top 5. You can't discount his 3 premierships with Canberra yet laud Bennett's 6 with the broncos, 2 of which, 97 & 98 are IMO dubious.

Smith is not even in the top 500 coaches. 25 plus years and no premiership, he's the Gil Gunderson of rugby league.

blaza88z

Coach
I don't think there's a worse position for a group of players to be in, knowing their current coach won't be there next season

it's not so bad for Canterbury, their coach has absolutely nothing to lose, Hasler on the other hand.. it'd be a tragedy if he got shafted mid way through the season because of poor results, given the success he's had at the club

Latest posts