What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Top 5 Hard Men of League

KiWi_BoI_15

Juniors
Who are your top 5 hardest men of league...

Kiwi players for me:
1-Kurt Sorensen
2-Mark Graham
3-Tawera Nikau
4-Ruben Wiki (still going strong)
5-Kevin Tamati

Aussie Blokes:
1-Ray Price
2-Gorden Tallis
3-John Sattler
4-Trevor Gilmeister
5-Mark O Meley(just to have a modern player in there, whats the body count now? :? )

Lowdown

Juniors
I think Les Boyd needs to be in your Top 5 Aussie's...if not numero uno.

I'm surprised you left him off. He's only one of the most violent players to ever lace up a boot.

miccle

Bench
Davidson, Boyd, Tallis, Campion and Gilly - Christ it's hard only going for five. PLENTY of honourable mentions.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
Boyd -NO ONE comes close to this guy

Les Davidson - I loved one game I saw back in the late 80's. Paul Sironen had a spell there once he quit the police force and turned full time pro when not every player was, still some semi-pro's, he got real big and started getting arrogant and tried to intimidate everybody and niggle. He pushed Les Davidson after a hard tackle, and Davidson squared up, but didn't throw one. Sironen threw one, then Davidson responded and floored Sironen in about 3 punches.

Steve Roach - In a later game, the same season as the story above, I saw Roach belt Davidson black and Blue in half a dozen punches :lol:

miccle

Bench
I'm surprised no one else has mentioned Kevin Campion. He must have surely passed the 1000 mark when it came to stitches on his face by the end of his career. :lol:

Gus22

Juniors
1. Bruce Gibbs
2. Bob Cooper
3. Les Boyd
4. Dallas Donelly
5. Tommy Raudonikas

The scary thing is these maniacs all played in the same team at the same time. The good old days.

I think this kind of thread was done not that long ago.

Of those I've seen...

Aussies...
David Gillespie
Ian Roberts
Les Davidson
Peter Kelly
Trevor Gillmeister

I do remember Les Boyd, but only his later, (and grubby) years.

Kiwis, hard to recall a top 5 but
Kevin Tamati
Olsen Filipaina (only in tests though, surprisingly docile in club footy)
Jarred McCracken
...were 3 standouts for me.

JJ

Immortal
of those that I've seen
in no particular order

Kiwis
Mark Graham
Kurt Sorenson
Mark Broadhurst
Kevin Tamati
Ruben Wiki

Aussies (I consider Boyd filth so wont rate him)
Les Davidson
Chris Mortimer
David Gillespie
Peter Kelly
Mario Fenech

innsaneink

Referee
Gus22 said:
1. Bruce Gibbs
2. Bob Cooper
3. Les Boyd
4. Dallas Donelly
5. Tommy Raudonikas

The scary thing is these maniacs all played in the same team at the same time. The good old days.
The real start of my love for the game, I used to only like it, then the Fibro Silvertail stuff emerged...as a 16yo on the hill at Lidcombe with an occasional beer and those guys up against Manly...hard to top those days.

Dazzat

First Grade
Other angles to look at 'hard':

* Per centimetre - Geoff Toovey and Alan Langer packed a lot of toughness into small frames
* Hard head - John Hopoate's head was so tough no commonsense could penetrate
* Hard luck - Phil Duke and Neville Glover are remembered for their mistakes more than their good play.

How about Michael De Vere getting staples inserted into his head on the sideline on state of origin. Shane Webke playing a final series with a broken arm. Phil Gould appearing on TV every weekend with an inflamed ego.

innsaneink

Referee
Dazzat said:
Other angles to look at 'hard':

* Per centimetre - Geoff Toovey and Alan Langer packed a lot of toughness into small frames
* Hard head - John Hopoate's head was so tough no commonsense could penetrate
* Hard luck - Phil Duke and Neville Glover are remembered for their mistakes more than their good play.

How about Michael De Vere getting staples inserted into his head on the sideline on state of origin. Shane Webke playing a final series with a broken arm. Phil Gould appearing on TV every weekend with an inflamed ego.

Paul Osborne too, he has 47 kids

Dazzat

First Grade
Who has played the most consecutive games of rugby league in NRL? That'd have to take the cake for hardness? Anthony Minichello was going alright until this year. Kevin Hastings was up there as well.

Anyone can be tough for one game. Who knows, maybe Les Boyd played with dolls during all those long months of suspension.