What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Top 5 Prelim Finals

horrie hastings

First Grade
Manly vs Easts (1987) - Another awesome game Manly just got home in the end.

This was one of the toughest matches i have ever seen although it wasn't a peliminary final, it was the major semi final. Both sides threw everything at each other, both sides scored one try each and both sides had one try each disallowed, who ever lost it was always going to struggle the following week due to the intensity of this match, Manly got a week off to recover and straight into the Grand Final and Easts had to front up to Canberra the following week battered and bruised.

The following week Easts vs Canberra was a free flowing affair marred by awful defence by both side at times, David Trewellha got knocked out trying to stop Mal Meninga close to line from scoring but Mal just steam rolled him.

2 weeks

Coach
1980 Easts vs West at the SCG

West probably went in as slight favourites but virtually shit themselves when they ran out on the field, Easts blew them off the field and West just sank in a hole, 8 tries to the Roosters in a devastating 41-5 performance, just a shame it didn't carry over to the Grand Final the following week.

I was at this game with my old man, watching from the middle of the old hill, in front of the scoreboard.

I am pretty sure that this game had the first ever try celebration when Gary Warnecke scored a runaway and did a flip after scoring .

horrie hastings

First Grade
I was at this game with my old man, watching from the middle of the old hill, in front of the scoreboard.

I am pretty sure that this game had the first ever try celebration when Gary Warnecke scored a runaway and did a flip after scoring .

Yes i can remember that Garry Warnecke back flip after scoring too. Was at the game also , i remember there was a sign draped over the fence saying " You cant stop the Magpies" by the second half the T in cant was removed to reveal You Can Stop the Magpies :D

Reflector

Juniors
Yes i can remember that Garry Warnecke back flip after scoring too. Was at the game also , i remember there was a sign draped over the fence saying " You cant stop the Magpies" by the second half the T in cant was removed to reveal You Can Stop the Magpies :D

Reminds me of the Royal visit to Australia in the 70's and Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip were guests at a Norths game. It happened the Norths were sponsored by Flick pest control and (typical of the time) the lettering on the jerseys was blocky and in capitals. So the players worked out if you applied tape in the right places you could change the word, and there are photos of the Norths players greeting Her Majesty after the game with the FLICK on their jerseys saying something else...

horrie hastings

First Grade
Reminds me of the Royal visit to Australia in the 70's and Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip were guests at a Norths game. It happened the Norths were sponsored by Flick pest control and (typical of the time) the lettering on the jerseys was blocky and in capitals. So the players worked out if you applied tape in the right places you could change the word, and there are photos of the Norths players greeting Her Majesty after the game with the FLICK on their jerseys saying something else...

The Queen and Prince Phillip were also at the Wills Cup final[ the pre season comp ] between East and Norths in 1977 at the SCG.

chunk

Juniors
Yeah the 2005 semi was massive for a number of reasons

- After the pain that Balmain and Wests had been through with the merger
- The close calls for Balmain in the 80's
- The absence of any success for both teams for a very long time
- And they were big underdogs that night
- Playing a team just as desperate for success

All of this meant that every bit of emotion came out for Wests Tigers fans that night from deep deep down, truly amazing

2 weeks

Coach

That Village People movie was classic and Bruce Jenner was still a bloke in it .

horrie hastings

First Grade
That Village People movie was classic and Bruce Jenner was still a bloke in it .

You know what that day the cheers girls actually did You Cant Stop The Music at some stage, was probably between the lower grades and the first two times they started the song it was on the wrong speed so some of the girls threw their pom poms on the ground and walked off.

2 weeks

Coach
You know what that day the cheers girls actually did You Cant Stop The Music at some stage, was probably between the lower grades and the first two times they started the song it was on the wrong speed so some of the girls threw their pom poms on the ground and walked off.

Still better than Billy Idol though

This Year?

Immortal
Can I please have more prelims where the dragons don't lose?

This is me right now:

tenor.gif

Latest posts