What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Top 5 second-rowers in nrl era

Valheru

Coach
What if you told them 1 would be a genuine RL legend who'd devote himself to a single code and play 477 professional games (plus Origin and Internationals), 349 for the one club. While the other will skip out to RU mid contract and spend a total of 6 seasons in RL over a decade?

Beaver was a RL player, he'll always get the nod over a part-timer like SBW.

Beaver played for the same amount of NRL clubs as SBW.

I f**king hate SBW from two reasons:

1. The way he walked out on Canterbury
2. The fact he wouldn't have ever looked likely coming back to the game in Wests colours.

AJB1102

First Grade
Beaver played for the same amount of NRL clubs as SBW.

Don't be silly. Even if you wanna split Manly and Northern Eagles Beaver is still a RL player, SBW a part timer. Beaver never needed gap years in inferior sports.

Exsilium

First Grade
Anyone who thinks there’s a back rower in the modern era better than Steve “Beaver” Menzies is kidding themselves.

He was the epitome of the hardworking, skilful backrower who was just as comfortable in defence as he was in attack.

His longevity in the game is an example of how good he was.

Off the field he was the only likeable thing about Manly.

You can close the thread now.

Iafeta

Referee
It’s a disgrace that Kirk Reynoldsen and Reegan Tanner haven’t been nominated more often

Canard

Immortal
Anyone who thinks there’s a back rower in the modern era better than Steve “Beaver” Menzies is kidding themselves.

He was the epitome of the hardworking, skilful backrower who was just as comfortable in defence as he was in attack.

His longevity in the game is an example of how good he was.

Off the field he was the only likeable thing about Manly.

You can close the thread now.

One of the best centre's to play in the NRL era.

t-ba

Post Whore
Jesus Christ how the f**k did this end up being Beaver v SBW?

Beaver is hands down the greatest clubman in Manly's history and probably in the modern game, but in all honesty his most productive shifts were before the NRL era, excluding 2002 where he turned Jason Ferris and Luke Dorn into an elite halves pairing by sheer willpower.

He's easily one of the best second towers ever but I don't think his NRL era stuff is his best.

In terms of his NRL era impact I reckon Choc was bigger for Manly and I can't stand him.

King hit

Coach
Jesus Christ how the f**k did this end up being Beaver v SBW?

Beaver is hands down the greatest clubman in Manly's history and probably in the modern game, but in all honesty his most productive shifts were before the NRL era, excluding 2002 where he turned Jason Ferris and Luke Dorn into an elite halves pairing by sheer willpower.

He's easily one of the best second towers ever but I don't think his NRL era stuff is his best.

In terms of his NRL era impact I reckon Choc was bigger for Manly and I can't stand him.

More than half of Menzies' career was in the NRL era.

t-ba

Post Whore
More than half of Menzies' career was in the NRL era.

Doesn't preclude the fact he was at his most damaging in the early part of his career. His output in those first 5 seasons was insane compared to the last 11.