What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Top 8 revised..

Greenblooded

Juniors
:lol: I wouldn't worry about Inks opinion mate, we could win the whole thing and the Raiders would get no credit from him.

legend said:
Umm Canberra, Manly, Melbourne and North Qld have been by far the most consistent after four rounds. :D
Hey, don't forget the Dragons and the Knights, they are without any doubt equally consistent!! :lol: :lol:

By the way, how can Canberra be 1st on for and against when Melbourne has 111 and Canberra 52? Without the bye, you'd be second behind us! ;-)

It really annoys me how some people downplay the importance of our victories. Now I know we haven't played Roosters, Storm, Cowboys, etc yet so I'm not declaring that we're the best team in the comp at all... but... every week people have been tipping the Knights, Rabbitohs and Dragons... and then when we beat them (in convincing fashion, by the way), people downplay the wins, saying "oh it was only so and so".

We will be tested in the weeks to come, and like I said, I'm not getting carried away. It annoys me that we don't get much credit, but that's fine, because it seems to spur us on even more. Same with the Cowboys last year.

Greenblooded

Juniors
If we hadn't had the bye we may have won that week anyway, which would mean we would still be ahead of you ;-) Mind you I think the Storm would be the last team anyone would want to be playing against at the moment.

TiTTieS_[CNTDN]

Juniors
innsaneink said:
Yes....impressive! :roll:

4569ut.jpg

Where would they be sitting though if they had won the game against the Raiders? I don't think it would put them up that much higher but as Raider 69 said, you can oly beat who has been put in front of you

sydraider

First Grade
What these other people have to realise is the only thing we have been lacking in the latter years is a decent halves combination. Im sure brownie would be spewing the dragons didnt keep withers after tonight and the guy wasnt even 100%.
Jason smith on the other hand, the guy is a legend, if we can keep him on the padock for the majority of the year (which seems most likely, he is already hinting at another year) then we shall be hard to beat.
We have always had decent backs and forwards, just lacking direction since stuart and daley, Im not comparing the two but as I see it, withers and smit are doing the best job since!
Its funny reading this thread, Im not gonna predict anything about the top eight, I know my team will be there and i have full confidence with that!

Hurriflatch

Referee
Canberra have had a good start admitigly the Knights and Dragons are hardly the toughest competition right now but you can only play whats in front of you and Canberra have dished out thrashings to these sides so it's not as if other teams are beating the Knights by 50 but Canberra only beat them by 2.

However a number of supporters from both Canberra and MAnly seem to be getting a bit too confident after just 4 rounds. (not all but quite a few)

There is still a long way to go in the comp this year and almost every year the opening 6-8 rounds throws up a lot of surprises but by round 8-10 things settle down a lot more and the real contenders start to emerge, Canberra may well be there then and good luck to them but it is far to early in the season to be claiming premierships or writting sides off.

Raider_69

Post Whore
well said
but most of us are saying what we have all off season
Canberra will do more than expected and WILL make the 8 :mrgreen:

sydraider

First Grade
However a number of supporters from both Canberra and MAnly seem to be getting a bit too confident after just 4 rounds.

Yeah parra won we know! They beat an out of form panthers team!

Canberra may well be there then and good luck to them but it is far to early in the season to be claiming premierships or writting sides off.

I never claimed a premiership or wrote a side off!

Hurriflatch

Referee
sydraider said:
However a number of supporters from both Canberra and MAnly seem to be getting a bit too confident after just 4 rounds.

Canberra may well be there then and good luck to them but it is far to early in the season to be claiming premierships or writting sides off.

And if you had read the post I said that not all Raiders or Manly fans are just a number of them, and yes there are some Parra fans getting a bit too confident after the win v Penrith. There were some promising signs but Parra still have a lot of improvment left.

PJ Marsh and Nathan Hindmarsh are not at full fitness yet in fact I'd say Marsh may be as low as 60% match fit. With Hindy around 75-80%

Parramatta still have Wade McKinnon on the sidelines so stats from 2004
McKinnon made an avg of 171 metres per game on the Australian Test fullback Anthony Minichellio with 183 made more metres per game in the NRL. McKinnon also beat Adam McDougal's record for most metres gained in a single game and McKinnon didn't have the benfit of 7-8 mins of golden point. Also McKinnon would be considered in the top 3 defensive #1's in the NRL one incident was at Penrith when McKinnon had Frank Pritchard running at him with 1 or 2 players in support and no other Parra player within 15 metres, Wade came up with a shoulder charge on Pritchard that not only stops him but also causes him to drop the ball. I doubt you'd find many players who can lay claim to doing that and even fewer fullbacks.

Also Michael Vella, Justin Tsoulos, Brett Anderson, Ben Smith, Fuifui Moimoi and Chad Robinson remain with McKinnon on the unavalible list.

sydraider

First Grade
Thats a lot of self justification there hurri!

Maybe you are worried about the ghost of Smithmas past coming to haunt you ;-)

Hurriflatch said:
sydraider said:

And if you had read the post I said that not all Raiders or Manly fans are just a number of them, and yes there are some Parra fans getting a bit too confident after the win v Penrith. There were some promising signs but Parra still have a lot of improvment left.

PJ Marsh and Nathan Hindmarsh are not at full fitness yet in fact I'd say Marsh may be as low as 60% match fit. With Hindy around 75-80%

Parramatta still have Wade McKinnon on the sidelines so stats from 2004
McKinnon made an avg of 171 metres per game on the Australian Test fullback Anthony Minichellio with 183 made more metres per game in the NRL. McKinnon also beat Adam McDougal's record for most metres gained in a single game and McKinnon didn't have the benfit of 7-8 mins of golden point. Also McKinnon would be considered in the top 3 defensive #1's in the NRL one incident was at Penrith when McKinnon had Frank Pritchard running at him with 1 or 2 players in support and no other Parra player within 15 metres, Wade came up with a shoulder charge on Pritchard that not only stops him but also causes him to drop the ball. I doubt you'd find many players who can lay claim to doing that and even fewer fullbacks.

Also Michael Vella, Justin Tsoulos, Brett Anderson, Ben Smith, Fuifui Moimoi and Chad Robinson remain with McKinnon on the unavalible list.

I may not be able to find a player that can lay claim to putting on a shoulder charge like that but I can lay claim to finding one that can pull off a textbook try saving tackle every week, I can find one thats at the moment top pointscorer, and I can find one that is the highest returning (metres) fullback in the nrl this year, any takers?

As goes with the gist of this thread, Im quite happy to sit back and watch the season unfold, we have beaten three teams that were tipped to beat us, and next weekends game, at the moment, is shaping up to be a corker and should from a personal point of view be our first real test.

Iafeta

Referee
Oh no, our worst nightmare, Canberra are up the top and their fans are gloating

Well done Canberra :clap: :clap: Playing very well.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Iafeta said:
Oh no, our worst nightmare, Canberra are up the top and their fans are gloating

Well done Canberra :clap: :clap: Playing very well.

Im not saying we'll be there for long but while we are there, im makin the most of it :D

TOP OF THE TABLE!!
TOP OF THE TABLE!!
TOP OF THE TABLE!!

legend

Coach
I'm yet to see a solitary Raiders fans talk about winning a premiership or even about finishing in the top four.

Every fan regardless of who they support would be confident and happy if their team was undefeated after four rounds and after reading comments from a few Knights fans that Canberra will finish with the spoon, I find it gratifying they are winless after so many years of arrogance at other teams expense, including Canberra. I have far more sympathy for St George than I do for Newcastle.

The fact is every armchair expert claimed the Raiders as a certaintly to win the sppon and with one bye in hand we would finish on ten points if we didn't win another game all season. Very hard to see us finish with the spoon now.

Collectively, we (Raiders fans) knew what our team is capable of but we were written off as idiots etc and still no one expects us to do well. Keep up the good work ladies and gents. :D

smeghead

Bench
In all honesty Canberra have been in decent form and if they can keep building on it they should go well when thay hit the higher teams. Manly will be up there for a while. I just hope my tigers perform well against the Roosters. We need to keep our confidence up, the Raiders and Manly have shown what confidence can do.

Oh well i'm off to the game

Latest posts