What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Top 8 revised..

skeepe

Immortal
Agreed Clifford, but I thought before the start of the season that Manly were a top 4 side this season and nothing I have seen has changed that opinion.

With a player as classy as Mick Monaghan leading you around the field, there's a very good chance you'll have a successful year, the bloke is a genius.

Sir Clifford GC

Juniors
skeepe said:
Agreed Clifford, but I thought before the start of the season that Manly were a top 4 side this season and nothing I have seen has changed that opinion.

With a player as classy as Mick Monaghan leading you around the field, there's a very good chance you'll have a successful year, the bloke is a genius.
Monas is a work in progress
defensively hes the best half in the comp, hes a great organiser but at times his kicking game isnt up there with the likes of orford, johns, Grubmorley and lockyer

He could be a rep player once he fixes it.

I cant beleive the raiders let him go
Trust me manly wont be

skeepe

Immortal
I honestly believe if the Tigers hadn't broken Monaghan's jaw so early in 2003 he would have stayed. As it stands, it was broken and other players found form in his place, and then Manly came and offered him the starting halfback role.

The rest, as they say, is history.

ozzie

Bench
tiger pride said:
1. Souths
2. Tigers
3. Dragons
4. Canberra
5. Knights
6. Warriors
7. Sharks
8. Nth Queensland

lol I got it...a lot didn't - you were starting from the bottom working up

CC_Eagle

First Grade
Before the season people had us winning the spoon and generally no higher than tenth.

Keep it coming ;-)

Raider_69

Post Whore
skeepe said:
I honestly believe if the Tigers hadn't broken Monaghan's jaw so early in 2003 he would have stayed. As it stands, it was broken and other players found form in his place, and then Manly came and offered him the starting halfback role.

The rest, as they say, is history.

i concur
but im happy to see Mick doing well, he is a champion :)

Disco

Bench
i'm not getting to excited yet, IMO Manly are a long way from making the top 4, but i am midly optimistic about us making the 8

Davester

Juniors
CC_Eagle said:
Before the season people had us winning the spoon and generally no higher than tenth.

Keep it coming ;-)

I could say the same about my club too. Meh, let it be! 8)

1. Broncos.
2. Storm.
3. Bulldogs.
4. Panthers.
5. Cowboys.
6. Warriors
7. Manly.
8. Roosters/Knights/Eels/Sharks

Bottom beaters will be Tigers, Souths, Dragons and Raiders.

panthersballboy

Juniors
1. Cowboys
2. Broncos
3. Panthers
4. Bulldogs
5. Manly
6. Storm
7. Roosters
8. Sharks

9. Warriors
10. Bunnies
11. West Tigers
12. Parramatta
13. Dragons
14. Newcastle
15. Canberra

CULLUS.ONLINE

Juniors
CC_Eagle said:

Keep it coming ;-)

No offense mate, but mid way through last year Tigers were running 5th and were in the top 8 for all money....

Almost all of the tigers fans were adament that they would make the finals.

Its been 3 wins. Whilst all the wins have been great, untill i see Manly beating teams such as the Broncos, Roosters, Doggies and Cowboys, i won't be tipping them for the 8. Why? Cause im not sure about your depth. Id love to be proven wrong though.

Iafeta

Referee
I've been highly impressed by Canberra, Souths and Manly I must admit, three teams I thought would struggle.

But as far as the 8, round 3 is awfully tough to pick after, too long to go, but here's a go anyway.

1 Brisbane Broncos - they've lost one so far, and I thought they played a good game there anyhow. The pack is staggering. Thorn, Webcke, Petrols 70centsalitre. But one guy I'm getting really enthused over is David Stagg. He reminds me of Gary Larson. Gary Larson was a phenomonal player for mine. Also Lockyer seems to have found a halves partner. Not a bad outfit when you think that the likes of Tame Tupou haven't been spotted yet in first grade, nor Neville Costigan.

2 North Queensland Cowboys - they ARE the real deal for mine. Jonathon Thurston is an Origin star in waiting at halfback. He is getting on the back of Webb, Rauhihi, and Tronc's massive yardage and working well with in my opinion the best back three in the business - Williams, Sing, Williams. There is no weak link here. Rod Jensen for mine is the most underrated player in the comp, and a great asset. They'll go really close.

3 Melbourne Storm - their home ground to me is a bit like Ericsson in 2002. A bit of a graveyard. If they pick up enough wins on the road top 4 is on. I often look at some of the fringe players in a squad to ascertain depth which for mine is vital, and I've got to say Brett White looks a good prospect. Orford and Slater are the best 1/2 combination in the league.

4 Canterbury Bulldogs - Predict a slow start with O'Meley injured. You've got to consider, no Steven Price, no Mark O'Meley, no Willie Mason. I'd be interested to see percentage wise how many metres they carved up last year. Mason will return later in the year, O'Meley will be back sometime soonish I guess, when they come back in they'll be an altogether different team. Nothing against Csizlowski etc., but he and those others don't have the go forward of Price and Wiki. The factors here though are SBW, Roy Asotasi, Utai, Sherwin, Anasta and a great player in Andrew Ryan. They're still an outstanding outfit.

5 Manly Sea Eagles - Predicted not a good season for them, but by jingos they've started well. I'll give a massive wrap to Michael Monaghan. I thought he was a fantastic player at Canberra, just bursting with potential (I recall a game for them against Melbourne where I thought he changed the whole game on his own). Then you've got Stewart and Donald etc to work off him. Dangerous. I can only see one aspect of their game that could bring them into question, its just a feeling I have, over zealous intimidatory tactics. I sensed Manly were going to be close to a major altercation after the Auckland game, they played tough, REAL tough, and it was like Hill and co were baiting the opposition to get it on. Thats playing with fire. Particularly for a club not renowned no major depth. Otherwise, Manly look like they're back.

6 The Warriors - I think they are travelling a lot better than last year. Stacey Jones IS taking the line on again. He is making breaks, making line break assists. Nathan Fien is like what PJ Marsh used to be, a really aggressive sniper, and he's making yardage and putting guys over the advantage line. And thats dangerous with a pack that consists of the likes of Paleaaesina, Wiki and Price. Then you have the likes of Latu to come on after that. The one thing that could hurt them is a lack of composure to win tight contests. They've been in all 3 games this year, and had chances to win all 3, but only have 2 points thus far. Still, I don't think they're far off their best.

7 Sydney City Roosters - A bit of a slide, but hard to be at the same levels without Brad Fittler. Stuart though will get Brett Finch running the show again, just how he goes without Freddy beside him will be the key point - I think he'll still be terrific, but not quite as well organised as last year.

8 Saint George Illawarra Dragons - Call me senile, just have a hunch somethings about to go down at the 'Gong. I sense Brown may be pushed very soon, and a top line coach, whether it be either of the Anderson's, Gould, will grab the bull by the horns and reshape a very highly talented, but highly under achieved squad into something pretty good towards the end of the year. Lot of talent, just seem to be going through the motions, and I sort of feel their mateship to the likes of Brown, Paul McGregor etc is losing them sight of where its at. I feel those sorts of guys don't feel they're in a position to discipline and get up the players because of how close they are to the situation.

Canberra to finish on the fringe of the top 8. Just on Penrith, I often think "bulking up" regimes are a step in the wrong direction. This certainly was the case with the Warriors. Even the win over Saints didn't really impress me too much.

Johns Magic

Referee
Jordan said:
It's hard to tell if Manly is the real afer just 3 games... At this stage, I think they'll be around the edge of the top eight...a definite improvement on last year if there new players stay fit, as well as there halfback..

Anyhow, here are my predictions...

1. Bulldogs
2. Panthers
3. Cowboys
4. Roosters
5. Broncos
6. Storm
7. Warriors
8. Tigers
9. Dragons
10. Manly
11. Knights
12. Sharks
13. Eels
14. Raiders
15. Rabbitohs

Yeah I'd have aboout that too.

Raiders Plight

Juniors
gaterooze said:
I'm not gonna even try to predict the 8 this year. Anything could happen.

I think there are 5 certainties.

Broncos
Bulldogs
Storm
Cowboys
Roosters

6th to 8th could be any of the remaining teams at the moment.

_Johnsy

Referee
I cant believe that after 3 weeks of football people are writing of the dragons already. At the moment they are 4 points out of the 8 with 2 byes to come. Mark my words they WILL be in the 8.

pantherz9103

First Grade
_Johnsy said:
I cant believe that after 3 weeks of football people are writing of the dragons already. At the moment they are 4 points out of the 8 with 2 byes to come. Mark my words they WILL be in the 8.

Which 7 teams are they going to finish ahead of then? :?

pantherz9103

First Grade
My revised top 8 for 2005

1. Bulldogs
2. Broncos
3. Panthers
4. Storm
5. Roosters
6. Cowboys
7. Manly
8. Sharks

Manly and Sharks come into my top 8. Manly will win about 13 or 14 games I think. They'll win most of their games at Brookie, but I can't see them beating the top sides away from home. The Sharks will sneak in if Kimmorley stays fit for most of the season, with Dykes looking alot better at Cronulla than he did at the 'Fitzamatta Smitheels' .

Others: Raiders will do better than I thought originally but still don't look like they have the depth to make the 8. The Dragons and Eels to miss out, even though I originally tipped them to make the top 8. Trent Barrett won't be their saviour, he only plays his best at rep level or when trying to impress the rep selectors. Eels to miss out because they are not as good as everyone was making out. I don't care about gelling the team may look good on paper but until they get rid of Brian Smith they won't be a force again!

Also the Knights are a chance of coming last, with a very ordinary defence and piss poor depth.

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
1. Storm
2. Cowboys
3. Dogs
4. Broncos
5. Roosters
6. Panthers
7. Eels
8. Dragons

9. Warriors
10. Sharks
11. Manly
12. Tigers
13. Souths
14. Canberra
15. Knights

Kimmorley will be injured and without him the Sharks will go way down. Manly haven't had a real test yet, I still think they'll come apart with their lack of depth. Canberra may do better than what i've said but they'll not make the 8 for mine. The rest are self-explanitory I think, except the Eels.

Why does everyone say they can't make the 8? They are just coming along slowly and the past two years have only just missed out. They'll be in the 8 at the end of the year, just watch..

Latest posts