What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Top chokes of all time?

Round 18, 2000 Wests Tigers vs Penrith Panthers: Tigers lead 31-8 with about 25 mins to go only to end up losing 32 - 31 at full time. :crazy:

Another one...

Roosters vs Knights, R6 2008 - Roosters up 20-12 at halftime.... End up losing 34-20 after the knights ran in 5 second half tries to nil, including 4 in the final 10 minutes, topped with a 60 metre solo effort from dummy half by none other than Danny Wicks.

Most embarrassing defence I've ever seen on that Wicks try

Was at that game and what a game it was :D

Springs

First Grade
Eels v Bulldogs 1998 Prelim
Eels v Storm 1999 Prelim
Eels v Knights 2001 GF
Eels v Cowboys 2005 Prelim

When I think of chokes I can't get these 4 out of my mind to think of any others

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Some of these are mere comebacks, not chokes. Big difference.

From a Warriors perspective, Logan Swann's dummy and squander of an overlap in the first 2007 final killed all the momentum we had from finishing 8 from 10 and being 4th. Instead of another home final, we got NQ in the heat and were no chance.

ek999

First Grade
Another one...

Roosters vs Knights, R6 2008 - Roosters up 20-12 at halftime.... End up losing 34-20 after the knights ran in 5 second half tries to nil, including 4 in the final 10 minutes, topped with a 60 metre solo effort from dummy half by none other than Danny Wicks.

Most embarrassing defence I've ever seen on that Wicks try

In the Roosters defence, Wicks had a lot of speed back then

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Surely the knights would hold all of the top 10 places. It's been the same pattern for 20 years. The team gets a big lead, then has their celebratory champagnes at half time, then get beaten in the last 10 minutes.

maple_69

Bench
Got to be Eels 2002 GF. Most dominant one season side I've ever seen and they get wiped in the big one.

Last edited:

Bulldog Force

Referee
1998 Semi Final - Bulldogs 28 - Knights 16

Knights lead 16-0, Bulldogs came back and sent the game into extra time and scored 2 quick tries. This game often gets over-looked because of the game the following week in the Preliminary Final that made Paul Cariage a household name for all the wrong reasons :lol:

eozsmiles

Bench
Country vs City 2014. Don't know if it was a choke or a comeback, but it was a rep game. 3 tries in the last 6 minutes is s**t at any level. And they were at home.

eozsmiles

Bench
Manly vs Easts GF 2013. More so Wolfman Williams. He shows up and Manly win by 20. They could've/should've won despite him.

Last edited:

legend

Coach
Warriors v Storm when Witt scored on full time and held the ball for an extra few seconds before actually putting it down.

I forgot about Parra v Cowboys in 2005. That was bad!

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
1998 Semi Final - Bulldogs 28 - Knights 16

Knights lead 16-0, Bulldogs came back and sent the game into extra time and scored 2 quick tries. This game often gets over-looked because of the game the following week in the Preliminary Final that made Paul Cariage a household name for all the wrong reasons :lol:

I don't put that down as a choke. The knights in that game had heaps of players that were underdone due to injury. Harragon and Matthew Johns didn't play in the second half as they received new injuries. The team was out on their feet throughout the second half and once extra time came around, the knights were no chance. The week before the knights let slip a 15 nil lead and were run down.

typicalfan

Coach
Cowboys 29-0 over Parra in 2005 preliminary.

Bulgarelli knock on 2003 semi v Warriors.

Bulldogs beating Raiders and Sea Eagles in 1995 final series were massive chokes.

Latest posts