What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Top chokes of all time?

Rocco

Juniors
1998 Semi Final - Bulldogs 28 - Knights 16

Knights lead 16-0, Bulldogs came back and sent the game into extra time and scored 2 quick tries. This game often gets over-looked because of the game the following week in the Preliminary Final that made Paul Cariage a household name for all the wrong reasons :lol:

Then this happened :lol::lol::lol:

Broncos vs Bulldogs, Grand Final 1998: http://youtu.be/LbJgBbkUUF8

Canard

Immortal
Discounting obvious shit like relatives dying and what not probably up there as the worst day of my life.

Was that the game where Hoppa did the infamous WWF bouncing off the goalposts, and Matt Adamson smashed him.

Hoppa got all upset by it too, like "How dare you!":D

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Warriors v Storm when Witt scored on full time and held the ball for an extra few seconds before actually putting it down.

I forgot about Parra v Cowboys in 2005. That was bad!

Exactly my previous point - the 07 final at Olympic Park wasn't a choke. We were in the game the whole way and scored a brilliant length of the field try. I don't recall anyone missing a tackle, apart possibly from Ropati shimmying past one.

2001 Eels, most definitely.

1998 Semi Final - Bulldogs 28 - Knights 16

Knights lead 16-0, Bulldogs came back and sent the game into extra time and scored 2 quick tries. This game often gets over-looked because of the game the following week in the Preliminary Final that made Paul Cariage a household name for all the wrong reasons :lol:

Pretty sure we had a lot of players out that game so to get how close we did was crazy in itself. From memory I think we were playing Sean Rudder on the wing that day :lol: :?

vvvrulz

Coach
Some of these are mere comebacks, not chokes. Big difference.

From a Warriors perspective, Logan Swann's dummy and squander of an overlap in the first 2007 final killed all the momentum we had from finishing 8 from 10 and being 4th. Instead of another home final, we got NQ in the heat and were no chance.

This just came to mind as well.
I'd go as far as calling this the biggest choke of our history.

We were playing beautiful footy for weeks and absolutely butchered this match, ruined what could have been a great season.

Bench
Round 18, 2000 Wests Tigers vs Penrith Panthers: Tigers lead 31-8 with about 25 mins to go only to end up losing 32 - 31 at full time. :crazy:

That was bad,and to answer another poster,yes that is the day Hoppa done his dance under the posts and later got belted,Pulatua carved up and Chris Hicks kept banging them over from the sideline.
But in 2001 or 2002 we got one back against the Knights,Newy were leading 32-8,and we come back and won 36-32 on the back of Kevin McGuinness.

Chook

First Grade
In the Roosters defence, Wicks had a lot of speed back then

Boom boom!! :lol:

I still watch the 2000 semi v the naughts. I've even stood where Joey through his mouth guard into the turf.

Chook.

Dr Gonzo

Juniors
Tigers vs Warriors 2011 finals series

I was at a pub in Balmain watching it and I wanted to sink into the floor... f**king hell that was awful. Lote and Moltzen at their worst.

Tigers vs Roosters 2010 finals series was another shocker... Dwyer put on the hit of the season and we gave up the ball after getting the scrum feed. f**ken hell I was GUTTED

dogslife

Coach
Then this happened :lol::lol::lol:

Broncos vs Bulldogs, Grand Final 1998: http://youtu.be/LbJgBbkUUF8
And almost 10 years to the day later.

lockyer.jpg

Just hold onto the ball Ashton!

vvvrulz

Coach
Tigers vs Warriors 2011 finals series

I was at a pub in Balmain watching it and I wanted to sink into the floor... f**king hell that was awful. Lote and Moltzen at their worst.

To be fair though the ref's were nailing us big time and Inu pulled of a crazy play, its a miracle we won that.

I wouldn't call it a Tigers choke, but agree Tuqiri, Utai and others were shocking.

Owen Da Saints

Juniors
Round 25 2004, Dragons v Sea Eagles.

I was there !
I remember the dragons being about 20 points behind and scoring a try, when this guy looked at me and said "we can win this" !
I never met him before, but by the end of the game we were embracing each other like life long friends !
Great stuff !

Last edited:

legend

Coach
I don't see the Eels GF loss as a choke. They were never in the lead and faced a Knights side that had Johns, Buderus, Kennedy, Simpson, Macdougall, Gidley et al. They were all Australian/NSW rep players and the Eels came home far stronger than the Knights. Another five minutes and the Eels would have won.

2005 was much worse for the Eels IMO.

Latest posts