What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Top chokes of all time?

Eelementary

Post Whore
I don't see the Eels GF loss as a choke. They were never in the lead and faced a Knights side that had Johns, Buderus, Kennedy, Simpson, Macdougall, Gidley et al. They were all Australian/NSW rep players and the Eels came home far stronger than the Knights. Another five minutes and the Eels would have won.

2005 was much worse for the Eels IMO.

I agree. The 2001 Knights team was full of gun rep players - they were never going to be easy to beat.

No disrespect to the Cowboys of 2005, but our 2005 result was a choke - in 2001, we were simply outclassed.

carcharias

Immortal
IMO Dragons v Storm 99 GF was the choke of all chokes.

Manly V knights GF 97 comes a very very close 2nd.

I thoroughly enjoyed both endings to both games.
If I had to pick one game to watch non stop for the rest of my days I'd go with the 99 GF.

Big Pete

Referee
Broncos vs Panthers - Finals Week 1 2003

A strange one given the Broncos were 8th taking on the minor premiers but they opened with an 18-0 lead and with the calibre of players plus Bennett at the helm, really should have gone on with it, but they wouldn't register another point and the Panthers ended up running away with it. Just a situation where the mental aspect of losing really hurt the Broncos.

Broncos v West Tigers - Finals Week 2 2005

Brisbane made something like six clean linebreaks in the first half and couldn't capitilise on any of them and the Tigers ended up blowing the Broncos off the park in the end. Just a remarkable game from that side and clearly the Broncos basically psyched themselves out while the Tigers were in red hot form.

Broncos v Panthers - Round 3 2007

Probably the worst loss I've seen at home. Brisbane were home and hosed at 28-20 with 3 minutes to go. With the ball deep inside the Panthers half, Hodges attempts some dinky little grubber kick to try and break the Broncos try scoring record and Jennings ends up racing away with it to score a 100m try. Oh oo...Then with minutes to go, Penrith are throwing the ball around like a hot potato and put boot to ball but it appears Boyd has the kick well handled. Nope, Boyd decides to try and boot it over the dead ball, miss-kicks it and it sets up nicely for Wesser to score! Oh no! Wallace would end up kicking a 40m field goal and basically win himself a Broncos contract.

Then of course was the Chooks game this year.

Canard

Immortal
Broncos vs Panthers - Finals Week 1 2003

A strange one given the Broncos were 8th taking on the minor premiers but they opened with an 18-0 lead and with the calibre of players plus Bennett at the helm, really should have gone on with it, but they wouldn't register another point and the Panthers ended up running away with it. Just a situation where the mental aspect of losing really hurt the Broncos.

Was the year that everyone in the press said Brisbane won't make the 8 after about 10 rounds?

Also didn't Webcke go into that match with a broken sternum? I also thought, the Broncos had that game won half way through.

perverse

Referee
The only reason people consider the Eels '01 a choke is because of how dominant that team was during the regular season. History tells us that, on paper, the Knights had a very, very good team... but that wasn't the perception heading into the match. Parra were unbeatable.

Retrospectively it's easy to look at the 2 teams on paper and see why the Knights were able to blow the Eels off the park in that first half.

BennyV

Referee
Bulldogs in 2002: Won 20 out of 24 games including 17 in a row only to end up with the wooden spoon! ;)

Pffft, that's nothing...

Melbourne Storm were winning at full time on Grand Final day in 2007, cheered, victory lap, mad monday, and still didn't win the premiership!

The the idiots went and choked again in 2009, pretty much identical way!

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
2012 when the Warriors gave up 18-0 leads back to back for the first time in premiership history. Knights and Manly iirc.

Big Pete

Referee
Was the year that everyone in the press said Brisbane won't make the 8 after about 10 rounds?

Also didn't Webcke go into that match with a broken sternum? I also thought, the Broncos had that game won half way through.

Nah, Brisbane were actually leading the competition and had only lost something like an 11-3 record right before the Origin season hit and hit hard. It was bound to happen, since the record really flattered Brisbane and Lockyer seemingly carried the team, but to go 1-10 was crazy.

You might have it mistaken with 2007 where we also finished 8th but started the season terribly and were really fortunate to qualify in the end. In R25, the Broncos were absolutely demolished by Parra in one of the weirdest floggings I've seen but it didn't matter since the Knights had beaten the Tigers on the Friday, ensuring the Broncos spot to get absolutely smashed by Melbourne the following week. I think we had Thaiday playing five eigth that afternoon.

Unsure on Webby, there were so many finals series where he went in with a serious injury that they all sort of blur together.

But yeah, I don't think a lot of Brisbane fans had confidence in the boys after losing to a Reserve Grade standard Dragons outfit the week before. They just couldn't buy a win at that time.

Charlie124

First Grade
Eels v Bulldogs 1998 Prelim
Eels v Storm 1999 Prelim
Eels v Knights 2001 GF
Eels v Cowboys 2005 Prelim

When I think of chokes I can't get these 4 out of my mind to think of any others

Came in here to mention that one. Any betting agency in the country would've had a Dragons V Eels grand final at $1.01. Cowboys and Tigers were meant to be mere speed bumps in their way...

Nek Minnit....

Cows 29
Eels 0

KiamaSaint

Coach
1999 grand final hands down. I was finally able to watch that after the 2010 premiership. It was a bizarre experience. The whole second half I was thinking "I know the result but how on earth can they lose it from here".

Danish

Referee
I was there !
I remember the dragons being about 20 points behind and scoring a try, when this guy looked at me and said "we can win this" !
I never met him before, but by the end of the game we were embracing each other like life long friends !
Great stuff !

You lasted longer than half the dragons fans in attendance then :lol:

I remember watching that game on channel 9 and they were showing a river of dragons fans pouring out the gates after Manly scored a try early in the 2nd half. Every last one of those weakling will be kicking themselves for the rest of the days missing that comeback.

KiamaSaint

Coach
Came in here to mention that one. Any betting agency in the country would've had a Dragons V Eels grand final at $1.01. Cowboys and Tigers were meant to be mere speed bumps in their way...

Nek Minnit....

Cows 29
Eels 0

I had a friend who was an Eel's fan that gave it to me for the day after Tigers beat the Dragons in 2005. That was the sweetest victory I had ever experienced from any non-Dragon team, even surpassing the Knights grand final win over Manly.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
This just came to mind as well.
I'd go as far as calling this the biggest choke of our history.

We were playing beautiful footy for weeks and absolutely butchered this match, ruined what could have been a great season.

Sorry to bring old hurts. I was at the ground, and honestly it is still burned into my memory. I honestly believe during a regular season game he would've drawn and passed, so therefore for trying to be a hero he gets the choke tag. Amazed there is nothing on youtube, but maybe that's a good thing.

To the guy who said we gave up a bunch of 18-0 leads in 2012...that was more conditioning under Bluey 'take the rest of the day off guys' McClennan.

Bulldog Force

Referee
And almost 10 years to the day later.

lockyer.jpg

Just hold onto the ball Ashton!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Crash, bang, Boom, Tish, Zing!

Karma is a bitach! :lol:

_snafu_

Immortal
You lasted longer than half the dragons fans in attendance then :lol:

I remember watching that game on channel 9 and they were showing a river of dragons fans pouring out the gates after Manly scored a try early in the 2nd half. Every last one of those weakling will be kicking themselves for the rest of the days missing that comeback.

Same thing happened at the 2012 ANZAC day game. Dragons supporters leaving when Soward gave away a penalty at the other end of the ground with the game apparently out of reach with an 8 point deficit with 4 minutes to go.

Nek minnit, Prior and Creagh score tries.

was it Penrith v NQ when they coughed up a 28-0 half time lead in 97 or 98?

1998 and I still haven't eradicated it from my memory.

Round 18, 2000 Wests Tigers vs Penrith Panthers: Tigers lead 31-8 with about 25 mins to go only to end up losing 32 - 31 at full time.

I couldn't believe that result but for some reason down 31 -8 I kept listening to the match.
Hicks was on fire that day with the boot.