What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Top chokes of all time?

axl rose

Bench
Andy Courier in the 89 Grand Final. CHOKE!

A few years back the ABC did a re-call of the 89 GF, watching it on tape. Warren Ryan was one of the callers and he was cursing Currier the whole game. "look there is &^%$ Currier again missing a tackle, theres &^% Currier again jumping it front of Jack instead of letting him take the bomb. The call actually out rated Raaaaay that day who was calling some non event, Cowboys vs someone.

Jason Maher

Immortal
Souffs choked hard in 1999. Everyone thought they were dead. Unfortunately, some bastard performed the Heimlich manouvre a couple of years later.

Patorick

Staff member
A few years back the ABC did a re-call of the 89 GF, watching it on tape. Warren Ryan was one of the callers and he was cursing Currier the whole game. "look there is &^%$ Currier again missing a tackle, theres &^% Currier again jumping it front of Jack instead of letting him take the bomb. The call actually out rated Raaaaay that day who was calling some non event, Cowboys vs someone.
Not quite, two ARL teams.

Wish they'd do something like that again one day, instead of wall-to-wall Spillane every weekend.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
In the history of sport in my time it would have to be Te recent loss to NZ by USA in the last America's cup. Before that I would agree Norman.

Not a choke. As I said earlier, comeback victories do not necessarily equal chokes by the losing side. NZ went 8-1 up, Oracle called a strategic time-out - or whatever it's called - significantly improved their boat and were clearly the faster vessel from thereon in. In fact Team NZ were about to win 9-1 until the time restriction ran out.

Norman a definite choke, as with Adam Scott a few times. Awful front-runners.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Top Chokes

A star studded Canberra side drawing 32 all with cellar dwellers Balmain in 1993.

Wests Tigers almost losing to Parramatta 31-30, after leading 31-0 with about 15 mins to go (or some sort of similar nonsense) in 2012.

firechild

First Grade
Storm 2008 anyone?

A team so far over the salary cap it was ridiculous. Sure, they were missing Smith and Manly played a near flawless game but the minor premiers losing a GF 40-0 is a monumental choke.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Again, can you explain why that's a choke?

Melbourne weren't a dominant side - they lost to us in round 1 of the finals and only avoided being turfed in straight sets because Mrs Sims gave birth to a baby boy with feet for hands. They belted an also-ran Sharks side then ran into a red-hot Manly that put together one of the most perfect 80 minute performances of all time.

I love putting the slipper into the Storm but not a choke. The fact they won GFs the year before and after suggests that even further.

firechild

First Grade
Again, can you explain why that's a choke?

Melbourne weren't a dominant side - they lost to us in round 1 of the finals and only avoided being turfed in straight sets because Mrs Sims gave birth to a baby boy with feet for hands. They belted an also-ran Sharks side then ran into a red-hot Manly that put together one of the most perfect 80 minute performances of all time.

I love putting the slipper into the Storm but not a choke. The fact they won GFs the year before and after suggests that even further.

The last part of that response makes no sense. The fact they won grand finals in the preceding and following years suggests they were a pretty dominant side. As I said, any minor premier that gets done 40-0 has choked in a massive way.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
The last part of that response makes no sense. The fact they won grand finals in the preceding and following years suggests they were a pretty dominant side. As I said, any minor premier that gets done 40-0 has choked in a massive way.

They were three-way equal minor premier. It was a very wide-open round robin series and as I previously mentioned, they were very average in weeks 1 and 2. Then smashed by a great team who played the best 80 mins I've ever seen. Manly had a week off in rd 2, the Storm did not - and had to go Melbourne-Brisbane-Sydney. Cam Smith was suspended for the GF. I'm sure I could go on and name other factors that far outweigh a choke.

Choke makes for good headline material without having to do too much thinking.

ek999

First Grade
I can't see how it was anything but a choke. They may not have been favourites but it was a grand final and they simply didn't show up and instead got blown out of the water.

anjado

Juniors
Broncos vs Panthers - Finals Week 1 2003

A strange one given the Broncos were 8th taking on the minor premiers but they opened with an 18-0 lead and with the calibre of players plus Bennett at the helm, really should have gone on with it, but they wouldn't register another point and the Panthers ended up running away with it. Just a situation where the mental aspect of losing really hurt the Broncos.

Brisbane had a massive breeze behind them when they led 18-0 it is probably the strongest i can ever remember at a Penrith home game. So it wasn't as big a choke as you probably think they just got off to a flying start with the breeze behind them.

Worst choke's for me involving Penrith.

Penrith in 1988 were equal first with 2 rounds to go away to Balmain and home to Manly they lost both and ended up in a play off for 5th and losing to Balmain again.

Northern Eagles 2002 they would have made the finals if they had won their final home game at Brookvale against Penrith who had nothing to play for. Penrith raced to a 46-6 half time lead and ended up winning 68-28.

Penrith losing to the Cowboys in 1998 was one of the strangest games i can remember. Up 26-0 at half time and doing it so so easily i thought we would win by 50 or 60 and break our biggest ever winning margin which i believe was 41 points at the time. The second half was an utter disgrace and the biggest turn around i have ever seen in a game of Rugby League.

Usain Bolt

Bench
I remember the Broncos leading the Raiders 24-0 or something and the Raiders scored 4 tries in 10 minutes to send it to extra time and the broncos slotted a FG to win it

Latest posts