What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Top chokes of all time?

El Diablo

Post Whore
Newcastle choked in round 23 2001 v the Wests Tigers

they nearly choked in the GF that year too

TheFrog

Coach
Round 18, 2000 Wests Tigers vs Penrith Panthers: Tigers lead 31-8 with about 25 mins to go only to end up losing 32 - 31 at full time. :crazy:

This was a very strange match. The first half was close. Wests scored 3 tries in a short time early in the second half, then it went quiet, then Panthers scored their 4 converted tries in about 8 minutes. There was still about 12 minutes remaining when the final score was posted.

Lemon Squash

First Grade
As an Eels fan, this thread makes for serious depressing reading...

98 I remember watching as a kid thinking WTF happened??

2001 I remember going into the game thinking we had it won, sad thing is so did the squad! we were dominant all year and just sh*t ourselves at the final hurdle (including spanking the knights by 40 a couple of weeks beforehand)

2005 really hurt, we were no morals to win the GF but most people were predicting a Dragons V Eels GF, I think in the minds of the players they were already preparing for that game too... the Cows had other ideas and completely played us of the park. Still to this day the most devo I have been after a game, I was absoloutely shattered, took me weeks to get over it- couldn't bare to watch the GF.

I do have one to give back on all the hurt we have recieved over the years though-

My nomination was week 1 of the finals in 09 Dragons v Eels, 1 v 8.... Parra had been on their golden run of form heading into the finals until in round 26 when the dragons walloped us in the last week of the competition.

As fate would have it the two teams were destined to meet us again just 8 days later at Kogarah, although most were predicting the Eels to put in a better performance than the previous week we were still only supposed to be a slight speed-bump for the competition favourites.

With the great Nathan Hindmarsh returning (rested astutely by Daniel Andeson the week before) the Eels lifted to another gear and proved too strong for the Dragons who looked devastated after the loss. They then chocked again by failing to back up the next week and were knocked out of the finals in straight sets

LESStar58

Referee
Not just in terms of the score, but the importance of the mPreliminaryld also be flipped to say the greatest comebacks of all time equals a monumental choke for the loser.

There are some obvious games but I'm curious to see what games everyone come up with.

Melbourne v St George Illawarra 1999 GF

Bulldogs v Eels 1998 GF qualifier

Bulldogs v Knights 2002 - El Masri touchline conversion after the siren

Raiders v Dragons - Take your pick over the past 12 years.

Have at it lads! :D

Parramatta winning the minor premiership by the biggest margin in league history, walking over the Warriors in week one of the finals and then being put to the sword by Andrew Johns in a virtuoso performance in the 2001 grand final.

Parramatta winning the minor premiership and being rolled by the Cowboys 29-zip in the Preliminary final in 2005.

Parramatta blowing a massive half time lead in the 1999 prelim against Melbourne, the 1998 prelim against the Bullfilth and again against brisbane in 2000.

If there was ever a team of paper champions it was Parramatta.

LESStar58

Referee
The Bullfilth being totally outclassed, outplayed and outgunned in 2012 by Melbourne rates highly too. Barba went MIA, Ennis was pissed off to the point where he was totally ineffective and the normally potent Bulldogs attack was shut down for the entire second half.

in fairness though, the dogs defense to repell Melbourne for long spells in the first half was exemplary.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
Then this happened :lol::lol::lol:

Broncos vs Bulldogs, Grand Final 1998: http://youtu.be/LbJgBbkUUF8

That f**king Broncos side man. I don't think the NRL will ever seen anything like it again.

Alas, there is one almighty choke I have to include, as much as I hate to do so. Storm v Broncos Semi final 2008. A dumb as dogshit loose carry from Ashton Sims is all it took. I hope that moment haunts him every day. We were seconds away from nailing those cheating merkins to the wall for a second time and he blew it like a moron.

Rocco

Juniors
That f**king Broncos side man. I don't think the NRL will ever seen anything like it again.

Alas, there is one almighty choke I have to include, as much as I hate to do so. Storm v Broncos Semi final 2008. A dumb as dogshit loose carry from Ashton Sims is all it took. I hope that moment haunts him every day. We were seconds away from nailing those cheating merkins to the wall for a second time and he blew it like a moron.

I would not call that a choke. It was just a simple f**k up which those cheating geniuss took advantage of.

That look on lockys face said it all though.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Parramatta winning the minor premiership by the biggest margin in league history, walking over the Warriors in week one of the finals and then being put to the sword by Andrew Johns in a virtuoso performance in the 2001 grand final.

Parramatta winning the minor premiership and being rolled by the Cowboys 29-zip in the Preliminary final in 2005.

Parramatta blowing a massive half time lead in the 1999 prelim against Melbourne
, the 1998 prelim against the Bullfilth and again against brisbane in 2000.

If there was ever a team of paper champions it was Parramatta.

massive :?

it was 8 or 10 points at most

2000 was not a choke as they never had the lead IIRC and it was team 7 v team 1

Parra had two good chokes in the 97 final series

up 14-0 v Norths and lost

up 18-0 v Newcastle and lost

all finals chokes under Brian Smith. he is cursed

Last edited:

axl rose

Bench
Hate to say it but 2010 semi Dragons were crying out to be beaten. Bunje kicked out of the full near the end i think. Choke, should have been won easily by Tigers.

TheDalek079

Bench
2013 Grand Final. Manly up by 10. Cruising. DCE putting on a masterclass. Easts still shell shocked by the penalty try.

If it's not a choke then people will have to accept that Pearcey and SBW won the game for Easts :D

Yosemite Sam

Juniors
Hate to say it but 2010 semi Dragons were crying out to be beaten. Bunje kicked out of the full near the end i think. Choke, should have been won easily by Tigers.

Can't agree with that. The Dragons completely blew them off the park in the second half, and should of run in 2-3 tries easily. I remember Gasnier getting pulled down inches short on several occasions.

Great game though.

Vic Mackey

Referee

Begging to be beaten? That was an extremely high quality and intense game. Benji kicked out on the full once every game, dont think it was a choke. The choke was beau Ryan grubbering on the second tackle after we'd just made a 50m bust downfield with 30 seconds to go.

The dragons were begging to be beaten a week later when they put in probably their worst half of the year in the grand final and the chooks only lead them by 2

Hutty1986

Immortal
Begging to be beaten? That was an extremely high quality and intense game. Benji kicked out on the full once every game, dont think it was a choke. The choke was beau Ryan grubbering on the second tackle after we'd just made a 50m bust downfield with 30 seconds to go.

The dragons were begging to be beaten a week later when they put in probably their worst half of the year in the grand final and the chooks only lead them by 2

That grubber still confuses me to this day... they keep it going through the hands it's probably try-time.

redvscotty

First Grade
Croker missing the kick in the finals from a very kickable position.

(Not sure if already mentioned)

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
29-0 sits above all for me, when gordo had to remind hindy that there was a game going on infront of them when he said his knee was being rested for the big game it showed they felt like they just had to show up to beat the "other mob" and not just get beaten but choking all the way down to the balls and getting a spanking while they are at it