What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tottenham Hotspur: "To Dare Is To Do"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
and from London Mail

http://coys.sportsmaestros.com/index.php?showtopic=126368&st=0

APPIAH IN REDKNAPP'S SIGHTS
By Mike McGrath, PA Sport
Ghana midfielder Stephen Appiah is in the frame to become Harry Redknapp's first signing of the transfer window, after training with Tottenham.
Appiah, who has been a free agent since the summer following a dispute with Turkish side Fenerbahce, looks set to be offered a deal until the end of the season.
The 28-year-old has suffered knee injuries in the past, but Redknapp is confident that will not be a problem and is hoping to arrange a deal.
"I watched him an awful lot for Ghana - about six times - but I ended up taking Sulley Muntari because Juventus were asking £14million for Appiah," said Redknapp.
"Appiah was the captain of Ghana. He played in midfield with (Michael) Essien and Muntari - that was their midfield.
"He was a terrific player but had a bit of a problem with his knee - and he went to Turkey. But he is fine now; he's fit and looks okay.
"He is going to have a week's training. We will have a chat with him; Daniel (Levy, Spurs chairman) will speak to his people and see what the deal is. He is a good player - if he is fit he's a terrific player."
Redknapp desperately wants to bolster his numbers for the second half of the season, with talks ongoing for Portsmouth's Jermain Defoe.
Spurs have also put in a bid for Middlesbrough's Stewart Downing, who like Defoe also wants to leave his club.
Redknapp refuted suggestions that he has unsettled players and went as far as stating that he would keep Defoe at Fratton Park if he was still Pompey boss.
"(Peter) Crouch and Defoe are a terrific partnership, and that is why I bought them to play together when I was at Portsmouth," he said.
"I'm not waiting for an answer about Defoe. If I could get someone in tomorrow then I would - someone who is available.
"It has to be someone that I want. I have not got a long list."
Redknapp signed Defoe for Pompey just under a year ago for around £9million, and admits that paying much more for the striker could pose a problem for Levy.
"Probably, there would be a problem - and I can understand that," said the manager.
Redknapp was also interested in taking Sunderland's Pascal Chimbonda on loan, but added: "Daniel spoke to Niall Quinn, and he's not for loan. They bought him and don't want to loan him - I can understand that."
While Appiah is a short-term deal, Redknapp feels he has to strengthen his squad over a period of time.
"I felt all along we needed to improve," he said.
"I won't bring people in and give them contracts and have them hanging around for two or three years if I don't think they are good enough.
"I would rather do nothing. It has to be the right player."
end

Tom Shines

First Grade
and from London Mail

http://coys.sportsmaestros.com/index.php?showtopic=126368&st=0

APPIAH IN REDKNAPP'S SIGHTS
By Mike McGrath, PA Sport
Ghana midfielder Stephen Appiah is in the frame to become Harry Redknapp's first signing of the transfer window, after training with Tottenham.
Appiah, who has been a free agent since the summer following a dispute with Turkish side Fenerbahce, looks set to be offered a deal until the end of the season.
The 28-year-old has suffered knee injuries in the past, but Redknapp is confident that will not be a problem and is hoping to arrange a deal.

"I watched him an awful lot for Ghana - about six times - but I ended up taking Sulley Muntari because Juventus were asking £14million for Appiah," said Redknapp.
"Appiah was the captain of Ghana. He played in midfield with (Michael) Essien and Muntari - that was their midfield.
"He was a terrific player but had a bit of a problem with his knee - and he went to Turkey. But he is fine now; he's fit and looks okay.
"He is going to have a week's training. We will have a chat with him; Daniel (Levy, Spurs chairman) will speak to his people and see what the deal is. He is a good player - if he is fit he's a terrific player."
Redknapp desperately wants to bolster his numbers for the second half of the season, with talks ongoing for Portsmouth's Jermain Defoe.
Spurs have also put in a bid for Middlesbrough's Stewart Downing, who like Defoe also wants to leave his club.
Redknapp refuted suggestions that he has unsettled players and went as far as stating that he would keep Defoe at Fratton Park if he was still Pompey boss.
"(Peter) Crouch and Defoe are a terrific partnership, and that is why I bought them to play together when I was at Portsmouth," he said.
"I'm not waiting for an answer about Defoe. If I could get someone in tomorrow then I would - someone who is available.
"It has to be someone that I want. I have not got a long list."
Redknapp signed Defoe for Pompey just under a year ago for around £9million, and admits that paying much more for the striker could pose a problem for Levy.
"Probably, there would be a problem - and I can understand that," said the manager.
Redknapp was also interested in taking Sunderland's Pascal Chimbonda on loan, but added: "Daniel spoke to Niall Quinn, and he's not for loan. They bought him and don't want to loan him - I can understand that."
While Appiah is a short-term deal, Redknapp feels he has to strengthen his squad over a period of time.
"I felt all along we needed to improve," he said.
"I won't bring people in and give them contracts and have them hanging around for two or three years if I don't think they are good enough.
"I would rather do nothing. It has to be the right player."
end

Buyer beware. There's a lot there that rings alarm bells.

dogz08

First Grade
word is he's off to the highest bidder, as long as we get another striker in as well as JD

Villa and Real Madrid are supposedly interested

We'll take him on loan lol. I wouldn't mind him. And we badly need a striker

Mong

Post Whore
Buyer beware. There's a lot there that rings alarm bells.

With no transfer fee he is also after very high wages.. There was interest from West Ham and Pompey a while back that ended up fading because of wage demands..

With the boards blessing at Spurs old Harry will probably secure him on a very large contract for a number of years.. Wouldn't surprise me after the Defoe business Spurs have made over the last year.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
if he stays fit it could be an astute deal

€14mill a year ago and now we get him on a free

we desperately want midfielders

4-1 up against Burnley atm, Burnley lead 1-0 at half time. 'arry got the sh*ts with Bentley and hooked him at ht, replaced him with o'Hara and we score 4 goals and O'Hara had a hand in 3 of them.

€30mill between Bent and Bently and they are both useless.

Tom Shines

First Grade
With no transfer fee he is also after very high wages.. There was interest from West Ham and Pompey a while back that ended up fading because of wage demands..

With the boards blessing at Spurs old Harry will probably secure him on a very large contract for a number of years.. Wouldn't surprise me after the Defoe business Spurs have made over the last year.

We were sniffing around at the same time Ronaldo (the real one) was linked to us... we dropped that idea in a hurry.

Congrats to Spurs this morning for nailing us 4-1 in the League Cup Semi. Would have loved to have taken a one goal lead back to Turf Moor after being up 1-0, but you guys took your chances well. Doubt we Clarest will score three in the return leg, but I'll be watching all the same.

Cheers

Tommy Smith

Referee
Is Defoe really a step forward for Tottenham?

Defore, Bent, Pav, Defoe again...

All i know is if Defoe is worth 14million then Arshavin should be worth 40million and yet could be got for 23million. He's an awesome player who will flourish for whoever gets him.

aqua_duck

Coach
Portsmouth are must be laughing, buy diarra for 6mil, one year old sell him for 20, buy defoe for 8 mil, 1 year old sell him for 15

Mong

Post Whore
Portsmouth are must be laughing, buy diarra for 6mil, one year old sell him for 20, buy defoe for 8 mil, 1 year old sell him for 15

Hammers brought Defoe from Charlton for about 1.4 and sold him to Spurs for 7.. The best one in recent times was George Mcartney.. brought him for 600K from Sunderland then sold him back 2 years later for 4.5 Million..

In saying that Spurs got one back with Carrick.. I think they got him for less then 3 from us.. Can't remember what they sold him for but it was up around the 18 Mill mark

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member

All i know is if Defoe is worth 14million then Arshavin should be worth 40million and yet could be got for 23million. He's an awesome player who will flourish for whoever gets him.

Ramos rated AA and Levy offered €1mill less than his team wanted and wouldn't go the extra mill, shame because he is good mates with Pav and he's not a striker, he's an attacking mid who plays inside Pav, they work well together for Russia

'arry on th other hand only wants players with EPL experience, he doesn't seem to rate AA even tho he was keen to come to Spurs

and regarding JD, we let him go last summer then Keane and Berk left so we need a striker and JD wanted to come back to Spurs and it didn't take much to persuade 'arry

Last edited:

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Congrats to Spurs this morning for nailing us 4-1 in the League Cup Semi. Would have loved to have taken a one goal lead back to Turf Moor after being up 1-0, but you guys took your chances well. Doubt we Clarest will score three in the return leg, but I'll be watching all the same.

Cheers

cheers mate

never met a Burnley fan

good luck in the return game

Arshavin worth £40million???? I want what you are drinking. Defoe's price is because he is proven in the EPL, before last season's UEFA cup run and euro 2008, who had Arshavin as being worth £40million? Arshavin is 28 now and has never played outside of Russia, the EPL will pass him by. Any club paying more than £10million for him are mad.

Ramos rated AA and Levy offered €1mill less than his team wanted and wouldn't go the extra mill, shame because he is good mates with Pav and he's not a striker, he's an attacking mid who plays inside Pav, they work well together for Russia

'arry on th other hand only wants players with EPL experience, he doesn't seem to rate AA even tho he was keen to come to Spurs

and regarding JD, we let him go last summer then Keane and Berk left so we need a striker and JD wanted to come back to Spurs and it didn't take much to persuade 'arry
Selling Defoe was stupid in the first place, everybody knew Berbatosser was going to leave sooner or later. I don't care if we have lost money on the deal, the fact is we now have a top class striker who loves Spurs, after the way Berbatosser and Keane left the club, thats priceless.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Arshavin worth £40million???? I want what you are drinking. Defoe's price is because he is proven in the EPL, before last season's UEFA cup run and euro 2008, who had Arshavin as being worth £40million? Arshavin is 28 now and has never played outside of Russia, the EPL will pass him by. Any club paying more than £10million for him are mad.
Firstly i was talking Euros.

And secondly i thought it was obvious i wasnt seriously suggesting Arshavin is worth 40 million. Just pointing out that if Defoe is worth 14million then Arshavin should be worth a hell of a lot more because he is atleast twice the player Defoe is and yet can be gotten for a mere 7 or 8 million more.

I know who is better value. And just because he has never played in the Premier League doesnt mean he cant play. Theyre all football fields with footballs. He showed his undeniable class in the Euros so im sure he'd excel in the open style of the EPL.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
he might be worth 20mill if he had a few years EPL experience but thats what I think the problem is

alot of teams that buy in January want a quick fix, if they import a player they dont benefit till next season

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
I love how Sir Alex supposedly mentions Berbatov to a Norwegian website and the world nearly explodes, yet Harry has been speaking to the media openly about every single transfer target and nobody says a damn thing.

Used to have a soft spot for Spurs but I think the hypocrisy is disgusting. I hope Boro take you to the cleaners over Downing.

Status
Not open for further replies.