What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tottenham Hotspur: "To Dare Is To Do"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I love how Sir Alex supposedly mentions Berbatov to a Norwegian website and the world nearly explodes, yet Harry has been speaking to the media openly about every single transfer target and nobody says a damn thing.

Used to have a soft spot for Spurs but I think the hypocrisy is disgusting. I hope Boro take you to the cleaners over Downing.

get your facts right and stop believing everything you read in the English press

'arry addressed this in the media last week, everyone of his targets have been approached through the right channels or did you not read that particular article.

I am not 'arry's greatest fan but you are wrong.

Downing is no longer a target either, 2 offers have been declined, and both through the correct channels, or didn't read that one either.

from the Daily Mail via COYS

http://coys.sportsmaestros.com/index.php?showtopic=126383&st=0

Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp sealed the transfer of Portsmouth striker Jermain Defoe for £15.75million in the early hours of this morning.

The Spurs boss insisted there are no dirty tricks behind the deal - and their attempts to sign Middlesbrough and England winger Stewart Downing.

As revealed in Sportsmail yesterday, the north London club secured the deal for the 26-year-old after Spurs chairman Daniel Levy and Portsmouth chief executive Peter Storrie lashed out the transfer fee.

Spurs have been accused of destabilising Portsmouth striker Defoe after the London club went public with their interest, while Middlesbrough labelled an initial £7million bid for Downing as 'derisory', prompting Spurs to up the offer to £10m, with an extra £2m payable over two years.
Stewart Downing

Downing handed in a written transfer request yesterday, but was told he would not be allowed to leave during a meeting with chairman Steve Gibson and manager Gareth Southgate.

Spurs have been linked with a number of players and free agent Edgar Davids was at the training ground yesterday offering to return on a pay-as-you play basis.

Sunderland's Kenwyne Jones is also on the club radar but boss Redknapp insists all approaches are legitimate.

He said: 'The way it works with transfers here is that I'd tell the chairman, Daniel Levy, we need to get players in and here's the name of someone I want.

'I ask him to ask if the club are interested in selling, and he would make an inquiry and ring them to see if there's a deal to be done.

'Whatever the chairman offered Middlesbrough first time around was nothing to do with me. The chairman makes the offer - if they think it's derisory then fair enough. I know he's been back and made a fantastic offer. If they don't want to sell him, then end of story. You just say "No".

'I don't get involved any more in any shape or form in terms of wages and stuff like that - I haven't done that for 12 years.'

Boro are carefully monitoring the Downing situation and are prepared to report Spurs if they feel the rules have been broken.

Last edited:

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
you hit the naill in the head, for spurs sack, hopefully they have learn't from the past for spending over-priced players like Bent and Bently

no I dont think they did, a 15mill bid for Downing was refused

dont be surprised if Bentley is sold in this window either, word is he could be sold this window or the next

Tom Shines

First Grade
I love how Sir Alex supposedly mentions Berbatov to a Norwegian website and the world nearly explodes, yet Harry has been speaking to the media openly about every single transfer target and nobody says a damn thing.

Used to have a soft spot for Spurs but I think the hypocrisy is disgusting. I hope Boro take you to the cleaners over Downing.

Harry's as bent as they come.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/7805852.stm

Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp on his January targets:
"If could find a wide-left player I would like to get one. That and a frontman would be the priority."

"I think Portsmouth have had a massive offer from somebody for Jermain Defoe, so good luck to them - I paid about £9m when I signed him. He is a good player but we're not going to pay over the top for anyone."

He's such a smug, bent bastard. "I like the look of the lad, he's one I like, but I'm not sure he's for sale..."

Firstly i was talking Euros.

And secondly i thought it was obvious i wasnt seriously suggesting Arshavin is worth 40 million. Just pointing out that if Defoe is worth 14million then Arshavin should be worth a hell of a lot more because he is atleast twice the player Defoe is and yet can be gotten for a mere 7 or 8 million more.

I know who is better value. And just because he has never played in the Premier League doesnt mean he cant play. Theyre all football fields with footballs. He showed his undeniable class in the Euros so im sure he'd excel in the open style of the EPL.
Euro's or pounds (not much different now) Arshavin isn't worth 12million. To say he is twice the player Defoe is, is crap, Defoe is a goalscorer (proven), they always cost more. Arshavin would not get the time and space he needs in england.
As for his class in the euro's, didn't you see him against Spain in the semi-final? Sorry, my mistake, nobody saw him in the semi, he went missing in the biggest game he played in.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Harry's as bent as they come.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/7805852.stm

He's such a smug, bent bastard. "I like the look of the lad, he's one I like, but I'm not sure he's for sale..."

lol, grasping at straws

if you dont like him, then fair enough

but to suggest that paying him a compliment in the media is an attempt to poach him is far fetched

unlike Fergie, he hasn't been investigated for attempting to poach a player

shiznit

Coach
from: http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=607666&sec=transfers&cc=3436

Defoe's £15m Tottenham transfer in doubt?

By Soccernet staff
January 8, 2009

Jermain Defoe's return to Tottenham Hotspur has yet to be finalised and reports suggest that not only has a fee yet to agreed with Portsmouth but the deal could also come under close scrutiny for a possible breach of transfer rules.

The delay in Defoe's move will cause confusion amongst fans who witnessed the player's unveiling at White Hart Lane ahead of Tuesday's 4-1 win over Burnley in their Carling Cup semi-final first leg tie.

Fans greeted Defoe warmly after it seemed the striker had completed a £15 million move from Fratton Park after just 12 months on the south coast.

However, it is understood that a final deal is yet to be agreed between the two clubs and paperwork remaining unsigned; as such Defoe's registration remains with Portsmouth.

Added to that, Premier League rule L19 states: "A Club which transfers or cancels the registration of a Player may not apply to register that Player within a year except with the prior written consent of the Board."

It is less than a year since Defoe was loaned to Portsmouth and technically Tottenham still held his registration until May when the transfer was made permanent. The only player ever to be permitted such a move was Chris Powell when he returned to Charlton, though he was without a club.

And Tottenham have previous experience of the rule when they initial attempted to sign Leeds goalkeeper Paul Robinson. That fell through when the Premier League blocked Spurs from loaning him back to the Elland Road side immediately.

Further muddying the waters are reports suggesting Defoe's mother could have played a part in negotiating his return to White Hart Lane, a fact which would breach transfer regulations as she is not registered to do so.

Last year Defoe split acrimoniously with his former agent Sky Andrew, who is now suing the player for breach of contract. Andrew alleges Defoe was illegally represented by an unregistered agent in his £7 million January 2008 move to Portsmouth.

As a result of the continuing case Defoe was unable to appoint new representation and was therefore left to negotiate the move to Spurs himself. The Guardian reports that Andrew could make a further claim against Defoe if his mother, Sandra St Helen, influenced the transfer.

In another twist it has been reported that the deal initially stalled Defoe when Defoe demanded Portsmouth pay him a £700,000 loyalty bonus due to him because he did not seek a move away.

Despite the uncertainty Defoe has begun training with Spurs, but at present would be ineligible to play for Harry Redknapp's side.

interesting...

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
he's playing on Sunday, that may be a few days old although it was dated the 8th

this was also published earlier this week

shiznit

Coach
he's playing on Sunday, that may be a few days old although it was dated the 8th

this was also published earlier this week
GB are 12 or so hours behind so this morning in nz & aus it was the 8th in europe...

Last edited:

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
this morning it was the 8th in europe...

yeh, but what I am saying is that some of these media outlets recycles one anothers stories

I read this about 3 or 4 days ago but I believe its now been finalized

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
check this, anyone interested in coming to 'arry's award night

Double award for Harry
Harry Redknapp's career achievements will be recognised by two different bodies at ceremonies in the coming weeks.

On Sunday evening, the Football Writers' Association will be holding a tribute dinner for our manager at The Royal Lancaster in London.

The event has been running annually since 1983 as recognition of the excellent contribution to football by some of the game's best-known names.

Previous recipients include the likes of Sir Bobby Charlton, the late Sir Stanley Matthews and our very own Pat Jennings.

Steve Bates, National Chairman of the Football Writers' Association, said: "Harry is receiving the award from our organisation because of his outstanding contribution to football both as a player and, latterly, as a manager.

"He has always enjoyed a good rapport with the press who appreciate his professionalism, humour and readiness to give his time for interviews win, lose or draw.

"He follows a long list of distinguished recipients and thoroughly deserves this honour and has been a highly popular choice."

Next month, Harry will receive a Liftetime Achievement Award at the HMV Football Extravaganza.

The HMV Football Extravaganza is beginning its 14th year of football and fund-raising, with its annual dinner being held on Tuesday 3rd February at the Grosvenor House Hotel, Park Lane, London.

The HMV Football Extravaganza has so far raised over £3.5million for Nordoff-Robbins Music Therapy, and once again, all proceeds from the evening are in aid of Nordoff-Robbins - an organisation that initiated the use of music as a therapeutic tool in building relationships and communications with severely disturbed and traumatised children and adults.

Over 1,000 key players from the music, media, radio and television industry will once again be attending to pay tribute to the beautiful game while hopefully raising in excess of £500,000 for NRMT.

And you can win two VIP tickets to this event, so please enter the competition by clicking here.

For further information or to book a table please email bookings@hmvfootball.co.uk.

clicky

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
get your facts right and stop believing everything you read in the English press

'arry addressed this in the media last week, everyone of his targets have been approached through the right channels or did you not read that particular article.

I am not 'arry's greatest fan but you are wrong.

Downing is no longer a target either, 2 offers have been declined, and both through the correct channels, or didn't read that one either.

So you think Sir Alex went to the press before we went to Spurs for Berbatov?

I have no doubt Spurs approached Boro first, Boro obviously refused and now Harry is yapping on about it. That's exactly what Levy tried to have us sanctioned over. I have no idea what you tried to prove with your post, does making an offer give you the right to start talking to the press about the deal? What about the fact that Downing's transfer request came after Harry spoke to the press about the deal.

Your club is full of hypocrites with no integrity.

Mong

Post Whore
Defoe must like these relegation battles.. Don't expect him to hang around if you go down.. Past form would suggest he will be the first to hand in a transfer request, probably on the same day it happens..

Last edited:

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
So you think Sir Alex went to the press before we went to Spurs for Berbatov?

I have no doubt Spurs approached Boro first, Boro obviously refused and now Harry is yapping on about it. That's exactly what Levy tried to have us sanctioned over. I have no idea what you tried to prove with your post, does making an offer give you the right to start talking to the press about the deal? What about the fact that Downing's transfer request came after Harry spoke to the press about the deal.

Your club is full of hypocrites with no integrity.

how ironic coming from a manure fan

Status
Not open for further replies.