What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trade Ivan to Penrith for 2019

Western Stand

Juniors
I'm not on here to rub salt into wounds. I feel for you fans who pay your hard earned cash to support your team and invest in them emotionally.

There are two clubs who are in different phases of their existence at the moment and besides the Nathan factor, I can see a big reason for Ivan wanting to return is to finish something he ultimately built. That and a bucket load of cash.

There is a silver lining for the Tigers if Bennett joins your club. Without meaning to sound disrespectful or rude, the Tigers management are lightweights when you pit them against some of the other clubs. They will always talk tough but ultimately get pushed around.

Bennett will be the boss of your club if he joins. That adds a lot of credibility to the playing field and the corporate world. He will demand and command respect. It is a blessing in disguise for you as far as I am concerned.

Penrith needs a strong Wests, just as we need a strong Parramatta and Bulldogs. Collectively, we need to fight off the challenge of the other codes and a strong western Sydney is great for the NRL.

In time, both clubs will be stronger for the experience.

Blues Riff

Bench
Worst of all is going be seeing all those puke inducing family pics of IC and Dick Tracey Jnr.
Yet if Nathan had broken his contract to go to the Tigers next year, such pics would have been the feel-good story of the off-season. Heartwarming in fact. Puke away big fella.

chrisD

Coach
2019 Tigers:

1. Isaako
2. Nofa
3. Marsters
4. Boyd
5. Oates
6. Mybe
7. Brooks
8. Lodge
9. Liddle
10. Matulino
11. Lawrence
12. Pangai Jnr
13. Taylor

14. Packer
15. Twal
16. Matterson
17. Reynolds

Not going to happen
Going to need a new 10.

Pilot house

Juniors
Too many fascists triumphing their capture of France.

The panthers turn to skulduggery and bloody mindedness to distract their fans from yet another failed season.

The new manly.

Tigers Tale

Juniors
I'm not on here to rub salt into wounds. I feel for you fans who pay your hard earned cash to support your team and invest in them emotionally.

There are two clubs who are in different phases of their existence at the moment and besides the Nathan factor, I can see a big reason for Ivan wanting to return is to finish something he ultimately built. That and a bucket load of cash.

There is a silver lining for the Tigers if Bennett joins your club. Without meaning to sound disrespectful or rude, the Tigers management are lightweights when you pit them against some of the other clubs. They will always talk tough but ultimately get pushed around.

Bennett will be the boss of your club if he joins. That adds a lot of credibility to the playing field and the corporate world. He will demand and command respect. It is a blessing in disguise for you as far as I am concerned.

Penrith needs a strong Wests, just as we need a strong Parramatta and Bulldogs. Collectively, we need to fight off the challenge of the other codes and a strong western Sydney is great for the NRL.

Well said....

Tiger05

First Grade

I don't think our management are lightweights at all. I think Gow and Pascoe are a lot more professional than Gould for instance.

Bennett though could be good. I just hope he doesn't screw our cap and he gets us a player or two.

To quote the our former mental midget captain, it is what it is.

It is disappointing to have a coach spruik the ideals that Cleary did, he looked to have been on the way to building something good here. I am disappointed with the way this has panned out but if he wants to go, he can jog on. Still cannot fathom why he would want to go back to the club that rissoled him, especially when Gould is a certainty to be there. Is coaching your son worth your integrity?

The club should be reinforcing that there will be no early payout. If he wants out early, he walks of his own volition. I cannot see Penrith burning the next two years with two unproven coaches in Ciraldo and Wallace.

I concur with Western Stand as well, Bennett will bring respect with him. Corporates and players will want to actually come here, and if he brings sustained success it could carry us forward. It could well be a blessing in disguise.

Vic Mackey

Referee

I agree with most of what you say, however feel calling the current management ‘lightweights’ is a bit unfair.

No one has been more critical of the clubs management then myself over the years, however I don’t believe they could have done anything differently here. It’s an extremely unique circumstance having a father and son at different clubs who want to be together. Nathan has been at the Panthers for 7 years. He is comfortable and all his mates are there. Ivan has been here 18 months. The best scenario for them To be together (for them) is at Penrith. If the situations were reversed and Nathan was happy at Wests then Ivan would be coming here, regardless of who was in charge at either club.

Western Stand

Juniors
I don't think our management are lightweights at all. I think Gow and Pascoe are a lot more professional than Gould for instance.

Bennett though could be good. I just hope he doesn't screw our cap and he gets us a player or two.
It may be an unfair statement from me. I don't have knowledge of the inner workings of your club.

I am more stating that if Gould, Crowe, Bennett, Politis or Pascoe came knocking on your door, which one is least likely to walk away with what they came for?

Bennett can fix that for you and I struggle to see how Go or Pascoe could.

Perth Tiger

Bench
Add to that Vic is that the only reason Gould has been able to pull this off is due to the vast media influence that he has. No one has called him out on his behaviour because the media are either his friends or they don't want to get on his bad side.

If any other club tried to pull this off I doubt it would of been successful. I think it is unfair to lump this on the board. As long as they maintain a tough stance and get a high profile coach and some compensation from the panthers then they have handled it as best as could possibly be done.

Tiger Ted

Bench

Exactly

Western Stand

Juniors
Add to that Vic is that the only reason Gould has been able to pull this off is due to the vast media influence that he has. No one has called him out on his behaviour because the media are either his friends or they don't want to get on his bad side.

If any other club tried to pull this off I doubt it would of been successful. I think it is unfair to lump this on the board. As long as they maintain a tough stance and get a high profile coach and some compensation from the panthers then they have handled it as best as could possibly be done.
Canberra did it to Parramatta a few years ago. Our very own CEO, Todd Greenberg did it to Manly when he was the boss of Canterbury. Brisbane have reportedly try to do it to Souths this year.

Every club bends their moral compass to suit themselves. Your own club sacked a few coaches and players mid contract in the past 10 years. It is a business that is as close to every person for themselves as you can get.

It is easy for me to sit here and write this stuff because I feel like the winner. That doesn't mean I don't feel for you lot. However, things keep moving on and the Tigers need to make a hasty play at Bennett. If everyone sits around feeling sorry for themselves and think poor us, you may miss your opportunity to sign one of the greatest influences this sport has seen.

Tiger Ted

Bench

Re Gould’s ability to b so audacious as opposed to someone with less clout in the game -Rank has its privileges !

Canberra did it to Parramatta a few years ago. Our very own CEO, Todd Greenberg did it to Manly when he was the boss of Canterbury. Brisbane have reportedly try to do it to Souths this year.

Every club bends their moral compass to suit themselves. Your own club sacked a few coaches and players mid contract in the past 10 years. It is a business that is as close to every person for themselves as you can get.

It is easy for me to sit here and write this stuff because I feel like the winner. That doesn't mean I don't feel for you lot. However, things keep moving on and the Tigers need to make a hasty play at Bennett. If everyone sits around feeling sorry for themselves and think poor us, you may miss your opportunity to sign one of the greatest influences this sport has seen.

Precisely. It's only the fans that ever really lose out. Even the unwanted players and coaches get their money.

As you say with Bennett, one door closes and another opportunity which potentially could be the greatest thing to ever happen to this club presents itself.

Tiger Ted

Bench
It may be an unfair statement from me. I don't have knowledge of the inner workings of your club.

I am more stating that if Gould, Crowe, Bennett, Politis or Pascoe came knocking on your door, which one is least likely to walk away with what they came for?

Bennett can fix that for you and I struggle to see how Go or Pascoe could.
No doubt Bennett’s enormous rugby league IQ will strengthen the one area our hierarchy r not notably renowned for albeit they have been doing an excellent job in marketing & admin of the general business which is evident in our much improved profit & loss for ‘18.

Western Stand

Juniors
I agree with most of what you say, however feel calling the current management ‘lightweights’ is a bit unfair.

No one has been more critical of the clubs management then myself over the years, however I don’t believe they could have done anything differently here. It’s an extremely unique circumstance having a father and son at different clubs who want to be together. Nathan has been at the Panthers for 7 years. He is comfortable and all his mates are there. Ivan has been here 18 months. The best scenario for them To be together (for them) is at Penrith. If the situations were reversed and Nathan was happy at Wests then Ivan would be coming here, regardless of who was in charge at either club.
It's all in the timing. Two clubs at different points in their development. I don't think too many of you would argue that Penrith is closer to a premiership than the Tigers at the moment.

Most of the success from 2013 to this year in which Penrith has had at least one team in a grand final comes back to what Ivan put in place in 2012. Most of these guys are in the system and playing first grade because Ivan and Gould put them on the path.

Yes, coaching Nathan is an attraction but so is the vast junior talent, the academy, major corporate backing and support from the leagues club. Are there too many people in the world that wouldn't want to earn more money in a 'perceived' stronger environment?

I know bugger all about the Tigers but my perception is, they need to lay down their roots in Campbelltown and own the area. Of course games can still be played at Leichhardt but it would annoy the hell out of me of I had to chase my team all around town.

Strong leadership by the Tigers management would make these delicate decisions and then you would start to bare the fruits of your labour. Do south west Sydney people really associate themselves with the Tigers? Obviously you lot on here do but the fastest growing area in the country needs to feel like they have something to own.

This is where your real leaders will come from and the next Nathan Cleary may very well be a Wests Tiger junior that wants to stay because it is 'his' club.

Western Stand

Juniors
No doubt Bennett’s enormous rugby league IQ will strengthen the one area our hierarchy r not notably renowned for albeit they have been doing an excellent job in marketing & admin of the general business which is evident in our much improved profit & loss for ‘18.
I honestly hope you come out of this a stronger and successful club. That's not easy for me to admit seeing I still have my dislike for Balmain from the late 80's when we had the two best forward packs in the game. I still love watching the footage of Brad Izzard smash Benny.

Tigerm

First Grade
To quote the our former mental midget captain, it is what it is.

It is disappointing to have a coach spruik the ideals that Cleary did, he looked to have been on the way to building something good here. I am disappointed with the way this has panned out but if he wants to go, he can jog on. Still cannot fathom why he would want to go back to the club that rissoled him, especially when Gould is a certainty to be there. Is coaching your son worth your integrity?

The club should be reinforcing that there will be no early payout. If he wants out early, he walks of his own volition. I cannot see Penrith burning the next two years with two unproven coaches in Ciraldo and Wallace.

I concur with Western Stand as well, Bennett will bring respect with him. Corporates and players will want to actually come here, and if he brings sustained success it could carry us forward. It could well be a blessing in disguise.
I think he will believe his integrity is intact as he signed to coach Panthers (though he or the club has not actually acknowledged this) at the end of his reign here, but it is disappointing the way it seems to be panning out and we don't seem to have a leg to stand on.

TIGER14

Bench
If Tigers get Bennett, they won’t really care if the betraying sob coaches Australia.

As for breaches, it was the fascists speaking behind the tigers back trying to incite Judas to join them. That is inciting a breach of contract and possibly illegal in itself.

Hiel gus you fat treacherous slob.

Get your grubby paws off the tigers tail.

This is correct. It is very obvious Ivan has signed with Penrith from 2021 in attempt to force Tigers to let him go immediately. That would be considered inducing a breach of contract and could be grounds for Wests Tigers to sue Penrith or Ivan. At the very least Tigers would have reason to fire him without paying him out.

Last edited:

Latest posts