What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trade Ivan to Penrith for 2019

Tiger05

First Grade
I’ve said plenty of times I didn’t want Nathan, not because I don’t rate him, but because our halves aren’t our problem. Spending $1mil on a half, any half, would IMO make us a weaker side. We would be much better off buying a strike center/winger and a rep level forward.

However I don’t want to lose Ivan, I believe he is the perfect coach for us with where we are as club atm. If he stays here for the next 2 years, puts in as he has been and the team continues to improve then I would wish him all the best if he decides to leave.

This is exactly how I see it. If Ivan though wants to go and a deal can be made to benefit us then make the deal.

Tiger05

First Grade
I'm no expert in these matters but I don't think it simply works in a way that you can trade players like you can in other sports i.e. Baseball.

Lets say all this speculation is true, we can't just say "okay Player's X and Y, you guys are now Tigers players. I know you had plans to stay in Penrith the next X years but we've made a decision and you have no say. Oh, but please make sure you play your absolute best and give your all for the team"

The only way this could work is IF, the Penrith players were willing to move, and given our abysmal record over the past 8 years I doubt we would get anyone good.

On top of this, we shouldn't be asking for Ciraldo. We need a coach that can deliver a Premiership and Mcguire can do this

Don't worry about the players not wanting to come. They are professional athletes and will move on no problems. Mbye is a classic example. Maybe there needs to be a deal sweetener but players move on all the time.

Crazyperpman

Juniors
I think the issue for the Tigers is recruitment. Nobody will want to come not knowing who the coach is. I would be happy for Tigers to sign Madge during 2109 and let IC go a year early.

Penrith can go eat a bag of dicks while they spend 2019 working out if Ciraldo can actually coach week in week out NRL and the premiership window they keep banging on about starts to close. Its a bizarre move by them and I dont think it will work out well.

Mario chalmers

Juniors
Now really what quality player is going to leave the Penrith for us????You May get a kid who is road blocked but you will never get a regular top 17 player. You have to remember Penrith just can’t say to a player...your off to the Tigers.

That is right in principle but look at it with your salary sombrero on.

Nathan just scored himself a pay rise in the realms of $800k p.a. This creates a salary cap problem that Penrith have already acknowledged by letting CHN go last week.

Gus has moved on plenty of under contract players previously and he will have to do so again to fit Nathan in.

Tigers have less to lose than Penrith. Gus needs Ivan otherwise this whole plan of his backfires.

Mario chalmers

Juniors
I think the issue for the Tigers is recruitment. Nobody will want to come not knowing who the coach is. I would be happy for Tigers to sign Madge during 2109 and let IC go a year early.

Penrith can go eat a bag of dicks while they spend 2019 working out if Ciraldo can actually coach week in week out NRL and the premiership window they keep banging on about starts to close. Its a bizarre move by them and I dont think it will work out well.
Agreed it is a bizarre move by Penrith. Tigers should agree to release Ivan for compensation in the form of players or otherwise make Ivan see out his WT contract.

Brent Read just said on Twitter that Nathans new contract has a release clause in it if Ivan does not join Penrith. That means Gus must sign Ivan and can't full relax until he does

gordsy

Juniors
Realistically if Ivan wants to go we can't stop him. He could leave retire from coaching till his contract with us is over and say he's going to be a coaching director / assistant coach etc and perform the role of the head coach. As am added bonus he probably wouldn't even have to face the press

Das Hassler

Bench
Gould just keeps on going with the trump routine ....declares he knows nothing or has any involvement in the Ivan stuff..

"That I don’t know,” Gould said.
“I have nothing to do with the Ivan Cleary situation at all."

So everyone including the CEO answer to him but no one tells him anything about maybe hiring a first grade coach....HIS words when asked. ....does he actually work there?

Tigerm

First Grade
It is still only paper talk atm, so I hope all of this is bullshit.
If it isn't, well he's professional enough to fulfil his contract with us.
Would be an interesting GF in 2020 WT's Vs Panthers.

betcats

Referee
You wont be getting anything out of Penrith as far as compensation if Ivan is released for next season, Waqa blake lol you are dreaming. We will sign Ivan for 2021 which puts you in the f**ked position of having a coach who is leaving in two years, goodluck with that.

Ivan will say he is happy to honour his contract, the panthers will say they are happy to wait till 2021 and then all the pressure is on the tigers, we don't have to do anything, if you make Ivan stay it will be much worse for the tigers than the panthers.

I am not trying to rub it in but IF Ivan signs for Penrith in 2021 the best thing the tigers management can do for their club is release him. You cant have a coach who is signed elsewhere running the show for two years, he will have an intimate knowledge of your cap, your juniors including whos the most talented, how much they are on and what makes them tick. Hows he supposed to maintain discipline in a squad of players who know he'd rather be elsewhere? Making him stay would be cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Last edited:

JB04

Juniors
You wont be getting anything out of Penrith as far as compensation if Ivan is released for next season, Waqa blake lol you are dreaming. We will sign Ivan for 2021 which puts you in the f**ked position of having a coach who is leaving in two years, goodluck with that.

Ivan will say he is happy to honour his contract, the panthers will say they are happy to wait till 2021 and then all the pressure is on the tigers, we don't have to do anything, if you make Ivan stay it will be much worse for the tigers than the panthers.

I am not trying to rub it in but IF Ivan signs for Penrith in 2021 the best thing the tigers management can do for their club is release him. You cant have a coach who is signed elsewhere running the show for two years, he will have an intimate knowledge of your cap, your juniors including whos the most talented, how much they are on and what makes them tick. Hows he supposed to maintain discipline in a squad of players who know he'd rather be elsewhere? Making him stay would be cutting off your nose to spite your face.
See, I used to quite like the panthers but it’s posts like this that make me think ‘hmm, no, I’ll pencil you in the same category as the Roosters and Broncos’.

betcats

Referee
See, I used to quite like the panthers but it’s posts like this that make me think ‘hmm, no, I’ll pencil you in the same category as the Roosters and Broncos’.

And Ill pencil you in the same category as the eels, going nowhere. I'm just calling it how I see it, Penrith wont have to pay to get Ivan next year if we sign him for 2021.

If you think you can make that coaching situation work for two years you are kidding yourselves.

Perth Tiger

Bench

You don't think it also puts the Panthers in a shit position.

Tigers can easily appoint a GM to handle all contracting arrangements with Ivan solely there to coach the first grade team. Could even appoint a coach next year from 2021 as well like Madge, giving him a couple of years coaching the Kiwis and development relationships with elite talent, which would give him time to focus on putting junior structures or campaigning for talent to sign in 2021.

Meanwhile the Panthers waste 2 years while they are in their 'Premiership window' with a caretaker coach.

If Tigers maintain a strong approach we can and should use this to our advantage to either get a kings ransom in money or players from the panthers or to take our time and find the right replacement rather than having to scramble and accept anyone who applies

betcats

Referee
You don't think it also puts the Panthers in a shit position.

Tigers can easily appoint a GM to handle all contracting arrangements with Ivan solely there to coach the first grade team. Could even appoint a coach next year from 2021 as well like Madge, giving him a couple of years coaching the Kiwis and development relationships with elite talent, which would give him time to focus on putting junior structures or campaigning for talent to sign in 2021.

Meanwhile the Panthers waste 2 years while they are in their 'Premiership window' with a caretaker coach.

If Tigers maintain a strong approach we can and should use this to our advantage to either get a kings ransom in money or players from the panthers or to take our time and find the right replacement rather than having to scramble and accept anyone who applies

IF we didn't have a guy like Ciraldo who was happy to go back to being an assistant it wouldn't be a great spot for us. But given the relationship between Ivan and Cameron and what has been said it seems he will be more than happy with just a caretaker role until Ivan arrives.

Our premiership window will continue, our all junior teams went very well this season there is plenty more talent at Penrith. Meanwhile keeping Ivan for two years gives him two years to recruit your most talented players to Penrith. Imaigne the media after your first run of bad form in that situation, they would be savage.