What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trent Merrin and Bevan French will be signed within next 10 days.. see you then to discuss ...

SGMax

Juniors
I would make some moves on RCG and if Merrin becomes available, get him too.
Under the current environment, both will come cheaper than their usual market value.
We clearly need forward reinforcements and we can't afford the props in top form.

I always thought we were one prop short in our roster and with DeBelin out, we need two.
Otherwise, get Frizell in at lock and save Lawrie for the prop rotation.
Lawrie should not be playing lock except in emergencies. I think Korbin would be better at lock.
Devastated at the loss and expect some significant changes to the team.

Gareth67

First Grade
I really believe Anthony Griffin could become our next Brian Smith/David Waite, Premiership contenders, unlike the current one Top 8 contender at best!

Yes I had thought the same St Georgio , I believe that the man is a far better coach than what some have given him credit for . After Bennett left the broncs he had to contend with his the former coach’s ‘ god like ‘ image and tremendous winning record . So taking that into account , he certainly done alright . I would be giving him an interview for the job when the Red Sea finally parts and swallows our maestro.

Last edited:

BBTB

Juniors
Hire Gould for a year or two as Head of Football and he will sort it out. If we signed him now, we may even be able to pick up some players prior to June 30. He would:
Find new coaching staff and then sack the current mob.
Have Recruitment/Pathways/Retention report to the head coach.
Bring balance to our top 30 squad.
Create an atmosphere of accountability and faith in each other within the squad
Do all necessary to create a positive culture within the playing group.
Love the idea. But, alas it will never happen. Fat Albert, &
The Boys Club, are in command.... No outsiders allowed...
I thought the new owners, may have given the boys club
The boot, but that is
not the case, it seems.

Crush

Coach
Its not the personnel at the moment. Its the self belief and ticker.
Dragons lack effort, same as Panthers.
Look at Raiders vs Rabbits on Saturday night. Raiders without 4 of their best players, no problems with self belief and effort, they played outstanding footy.
Dragons need to bounce back against sharks or its a long long way back.

possm

Coach
Love the idea. But, alas it will never happen. Fat Albert, &
The Boys Club, are in command.... No outsiders allowed...
I thought the new owners, may have given the boys club
The boot, but that is
not the case, it seems.
What do you think that what was such a simple deal made between Win and St George to so long to complete. It was all the deals that had to be agreed to and honored:
  • Ex Cahirman of the Board B Johnston to the CEO position
  • WIN Corp son of Bruce Gordon to Chairman of the Board
  • Doust to keep his CEO job at St George Leagues Club
  • Craig Young to be a Director of the SGI Board
Are just some of the deals done.

Last edited:

Dragon David

First Grade
Yes I had thought the same St Georgio , I believe that the man is a far better coach than what some have given him credit for . After Bennett left the broncs he had to contend with his the former coach’s ‘ god like ‘ image and tremendous winning record . So taking that into account , he certainly done alright . I would be giving him an interview for the job when the Red Sea finally parts and swallow our maestro.

Haha! Like it!

Brutalitops

Juniors
It's worth noting that Bevan French is currently performing very well at five eighth in CC

So he acts as a potential halves backup, as well as wing/fullback.

Fact is we need to fill 2 slots in our 30. And we are seeking players who can fill in the backs. There are honestly not a whole lot many more than him that are better before June 30.

As for Merrin, talk of "taking time to adjust to NRL football" sounds a bit off considering he's barely started his SL contract, and more importantly, has failed to adjust to SL from NRL.

Gareth67

First Grade
Its not the personnel at the moment. Its the self belief and ticker.
Dragons lack effort, same as Panthers.
Look at Raiders vs Rabbits on Saturday night. Raiders without 4 of their best players, no problems with self belief and effort, they played outstanding footy.
Dragons need to bounce back against sharks or its a long long way back.

I don’t wish to harp on this constantly , however the individual responsible for instilling the self belief , ticker and confidence into the team is the coach . Regardless of how good a team may be they still need that guidance to put them on their winning way .

You only need to look at Melbourne’s Cameron Smith who will drive his team on to the final seconds of a match to claim a win ( and just how many have they won in that manner over the years ) however without the Storm coach Bellamy’s ability to really psyche his players up their winning rate would not be as high as it is .

Our bloke cannot do this , he is too damn nice , what is required is a hard taskmaster as nothing less will transform the Dragons from the rabble that they currently are .

Latest posts