What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trent Merrin

tumbidragon

First Grade
So Leeds want a former Dragon, so that they then can realese a former Dragon, to return TO the Dragon's. That way we can let a current, younger/higher potential Dragon go...
What a club we have fellas!
This is some 4D chess that us mere mortals could only DREAM of playing!

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Tru, you make Fair comment which l wholeheartedly agree with.

The sticking point for me is a winning nrl coach, playing assistant to the likes of McGregor.
It really does not make any sense.
McGregor will either throw Flanno under the bus when they don’t agree on things and or Flanno will cut his loses if he has enough of McGregor.

Who gets the praise if the team start performing?
Who gets the bullet if the team doesn’t perform.
Flanagan is not your everyday assistant.
He’s there only because of his former circumstances.

I wish l could feel positive about the whole thing but l don’t know what to think or expect. It could play out many ways.

I expect Flanno will keep pretty quiet, stay out of the limelight, toe the party line, take the salary on offer and do a bunch of manoeuvering in the background. Just like he did when he was last suspended. He will do just enough coaching to get the team to 12th or 13th. No point doing any more than that because McDoofus will just get the credit.

Once his years contract is up, he'll head back to Cronulla or elsewhere taking a bunch of promising juniors with him.

SaintPauli

Juniors
I expect Flanno will keep pretty quiet, stay out of the limelight, toe the party line, take the salary on offer and do a bunch of manoeuvering in the background. Just like he did when he was last suspended. He will do just enough coaching to get the team to 12th or 13th. No point doing any more than that because McDoofus will just get the credit.

Once his years contract is up, he'll head back to Cronulla or elsewhere taking a bunch of promising juniors with him.
I don't believe Flanno would go back to Sharks, particularly with Flanno having to talk to club officials treating his son fairly. Subsequently his son then transferring to Roarters.

I don't believe Flanno would go back to Sharks, particularly with Flanno having to talk to club officials treating his son fairly. Subsequently his son then transferring to Roarters.
The Sharks treated his son very fairly, he was signed for another two years, then turned into a sook when he thought he deserved a position above Shaun Johnson.. It was Flanno himself that signed someone who blocked his way.
The Sharks have moved on from the Flanagans. I like the Flange but his time was up at the club. It happens, one day you'll be rid of Mary.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Hes gunna be huge for us Brother... As for Lomax getting fullback..tells me there gunna drop Duff man...keep him for back up until Lomax fails or gets injured. But the majkr reason is to push Dufty out to sign Sailor...as it makes sense him being utility he could pop up anywhere for us.
Our centres to have a massive one. I always liked aitken..and hes actually quite fast and cant slow down to think when he makes a bust and soesnt pass or screws play..thats because his passion and commitment for the team, he just needs to stay calm... His leg drive is enormous and body to weigh t ratio he is a machine
Aitken has had 4 or 5 years in first grade to develop his game, but has failed to do so. He is a one trick pony. He still has trouble passing the ball to his winger. lol

Frank Facer

First Grade
I agree, but let's look at what's stopping him.

Firstly, Luch looks to be an edge forward. We have 2 of the best in the league. I'm guessing we will be keeping them for a bit longer so Luch get's a look in when one is injured OR he comes off the bench for limited time. This could go on for a number of years yet and delays his career.

Secondly, Mary. Even if there was an opportunity to bring him into the team, we have a coach that only puts the juniors in as a last resort. There's no pathway into NRL purely because the coach prefers his pick and stick approach.

Thirdly, juggling the team around to accommodate him either restricts other players coming through OR moves someone from their preferred and best position into one where they don't perform as well. Which, in the case of possm talking about moving Frizz into Lock, takes Frizz from his best position as an edge forward and forces him into a tackling machine in the middle. I somehow can't see Frizz wanting to hang around doing that for a year and I'd guarantee, if he wasn't already looking to move on, that would seal his fate.

This is why Luch and Robson are moving on. We've got a solid base in those edge forwards/lock/hooker. That's why we got rid of Thommo - as an edge forward, as good as he was, he was excess once we had Sims and Frizz and we had a few good ones already coming through the ranks. I'm also guessing that is why players like Host are allowed to look elsewhere. Those positions are locked down for a number of years and anyone coming through will struggle to secure a spot. Better for them to look elsewhere if they want to progress their career.

I would have liked us to keep Luch, but I also don't begrudge him looking elsewhere - he wants to make his mark and find a regular first grade spot (I'm guessing starting - as any young player would want) and that's going to happen elsewhere. Same with Robson. Looks as though cowboys are going to offload Granville to secure Mitchell, and that would place Robson in the prime position for a starting spot. There is no way he would have got that here given we have Cam in the middle and likely captain going forward. Robson was always going to play second fiddle and there was no reason for him to stay. No sales pitch could hide this fact - no matter what some people believe.

At this stage, I'd be more keen to keep the likes of Lomax and Ford. Our centres need a refresh and those 2 are key going forward.
I think Lucky's future lies at prop. I think he will get exposed in defence playing second row. I would have rather we kept Lucky than bought Merrin. I would have been happy to sign Merrin, if we could have kept Lucky too. I would have been happy for Merrin to replace Graham.

possm

Coach
I think Lucky's future lies at prop. I think he will get exposed in defence playing second row. I would have rather we kept Lucky than bought Merrin. I would have been happy to sign Merrin, if we could have kept Lucky too. I would have been happy for Merrin to replace Graham.
I feel the same. I have always thought Leilua would end up as a ball playing prop and do very well in that role. Right now we don't seem to have an adequate replacement for De Belin - if he comes unavailable - so Merin rpeplacing Graham and used as a prop/lock seems to make sense to me.

Leilua under instructions from Flanagan could have been something special. I don't really know why we have to move two steps back before taking one step forward. Leilua is a local junior and is not on a high salary. Our priority should have always been to keep him. Merin should always have been a replacement for Graham or if De Belin not available, a replacement for De Belin.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I feel the same. I have always thought Leilua would end up as a ball playing prop and do very well in that role. Right now we don't seem to have an adequate replacement for De Belin - if he comes unavailable - so Merin rpeplacing Graham and used as a prop/lock seems to make sense to me.

Leilua under instructions from Flanagan could have been something special. I don't really know why we have to move two steps back before taking one step forward. Leilua is a local junior and is not on a high salary. Our priority should have always been to keep him. Merin should always have been a replacement for Graham or if De Belin not available, a replacement for De Belin.
JDB will be playing for us next year never fear. And everyone will love him again once he’s chopping blokes down left right and centre.

possm

Coach
JDB will be playing for us next year never fear. And everyone will love him again once he’s chopping blokes down left right and centre.
Wouldn't it be great if this was true however, I've come to the point where I have little confidence that this will happen. In addition I believe that there is a problem between Frizell and De Belin so If De Belin makes it through this nightmare, it could mean Frizell leaves at seasons end, if not before.

If JDB is convicted, Merrin could be a solution as a middle forward.

but as a swap for Leilua, why would Saints do that.

Leilua is a skilful edge forward. He is not a middle forward.

From this I can only deduce they have decided Ford will be better than Leilua.

Time will tell the tale.

BLM01

First Grade
Wouldn't it be great if this was true however, I've come to the point where I have little confidence that this will happen. In addition I believe that there is a problem between Frizell and De Belin so If De Belin makes it through this nightmare, it could mean Frizell leaves at seasons end, if not before.
Why do you think there is a problem between JDB & Frizz?..excluding what you have read on here or elsewhere based on BS social media speculation.

Walpole

Juniors
I have my doubts that Leilua has the toughness or aggression to play in the middle against blokes like Klemmer, JWH, Papalli etc.

BLM01

First Grade
I have my doubts that Leilua has the toughness or aggression to play in the middle against blokes like Klemmer, JWH, Papalli etc.
100% Agree. Only Mary can think he is a middle forward and put him somwhere where his strengths and skills are not fully utilised...to just accommodate him in a side choc full of edge forweard talent and too scared to play and pick the best 2 where they belong.
He is ball playing edge forward and should not be played anywhere but that...except in Maryville.
We dont need his style and efforts but I wish we had someone with his ball skills (that will be missed) but that alone does not make a good 1st grader.

BLM01

First Grade
If JDB is convicted, Merrin could be a solution as a middle forward.

but as a swap for Leilua, why would Saints do that.

Leilua is a skilful edge forward. He is not a middle forward.

From this I can only deduce they have decided Ford will be better than Leilua.

Time will tell the tale.
Why...we have Ford, Frizz, Sims and a couple of young potentials who probably all round make better 80 minute efforts in the same position. We just dont have the space unless injury under a proper coach who plays the best person in their best position. They are the facts. No doubting his silky ball skills and putting blokes into holes which is missing from our mob...but

Aitken has had 4 or 5 years in first grade to develop his game, but has failed to do so. He is a one trick pony. He still has trouble passing the ball to his winger. lol
I know i know...be great if he has done some ballet lessons and learnt to be not so flat footed and dance more. He needs dancing classes. I mean it for his saviour

100% Agree. Only Mary can think he is a middle forward and put him somwhere where his strengths and skills are not fully utilised...to just accommodate him in a side choc full of edge forweard talent and too scared to play and pick the best 2 where they belong.
He is ball playing edge forward and should not be played anywhere but that...except in Maryville.
We dont need his style and efforts but I wish we had someone with his ball skills (that will be missed) but that alone does not make a good 1st grader.
Bang on BLM01

possm

Coach
Why do you think there is a problem between JDB & Frizz?..excluding what you have read on here or elsewhere based on BS social media speculation.
If it is all BS, that makes me very happy and in that case Merin would be a prop and move to lock, before taking a break himself, when De Belin needs a break.

BLM01

First Grade
If it is all BS, that makes me very happy and in that case Merin would be a prop and move to lock, before taking a break himself, when De Belin needs a break.
They both should be in the side but Merrin a middle playing and running hard at prop and not being a ball distrubtor etc unless he gets through the defence
This copycat approach that every team has to have a ball distributing 80 min defensive big forward who links in attack plays to the backline distributing or dummying before the line is overused, easily read and outdated IMO (especially at St George Illawarra) and somone needs to be innovative and do other things..or are they already and just Mary has not caught on or up to that yet...or does not know how to change that as we have been working towards that play for the past 3-4 years :rolleyes:...

Latest posts