What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TRIAL :: 23 Feb :: Rabbitohs 44 Sharks 0 @ Gosford, NSW

Sugar

Bench
girvie said:
Who were the standout players?
Souths got on a roll and it continued for the whole game. JT basically played two teams one in the first half who were extremely impressive in their domination of the Sharks.
Standouts were Isaac Luke & Jeremey Smith who pulled in a great game under pressure. Talanoa chimed in great from the back and went close to scoring about 3 times. Gordon was a power house out wide. Lowe / Greenfield and Nelson all had strong games and Sutton and Ben Lowe were always dangerous out wide. Huihahau had a good game.
In the second half things started slowly and you could tell that Wingy was a bit lost out there. He was basically passing with a small amount of running at the line. Paea played out wider and is probably better closer in. Champion came on as fullback in the second half and took a good bomb that went skyward. Taminaka looks strong and Simpson looks like he can make a go of center.
And at 44-0 how do you reduce the squad to 17 players from 25 and fit in Asotasi, Kidwell, Vagana, Faalongo and Merritt ???

Sugar

Bench
http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/News/Club-News/Rabbitohs-v-Sharks-trial.html
RABBITOHS 44 SHARKS 0

Rabbitohs Head Coach Jason Taylor declared he was very happy with his side’s pre-season form following their 44-0 defeat of the Cronulla Sharks tonight.

The South Sydney attack clicked into top gear early in the game and the Rabbitohs little men, Issac Luke, Eddie Paea, Craig Wing and Beau Falloon constantly tormented the Sharks defence.

The Rabbitohs scored eight four pointers in all led by backrower Ben Lowe with two tries and rounded out by Wing’s first try in the red and green since 1999.

“It was a really good performance,” Taylor said.

“We came here with some things we wanted to work on and commit ourselves to and we did that tonight. We wanted to practice them for the full 80 minutes and we did that because the scoreboard kept ticking over.”

With competition strong for spots across the board Taylor said he would have some selection headaches ahead of the 25th Charity Shield against the Dragons this Saturday night.

“In years gone by players didn’t necessarily have to earn their first grade spots here but that was something we changed last year and it is continuing into 2008. A lot of guys put in some strong performances tonight. It is a great place to be in for the club.”

Last season’s rookie of the year Issac Luke opening the scoring in just the fourth minute when he scooted over from 10m out following a strong Michael Greenfield charge. The Kiwi-born hooker converted his own try for a 6-0 lead.

With the Rabbitohs dominating up front Ben Lowe then scored his first try of the pre-season game in the 12th minute and Luke again converted to stretch the lead to 12-0.

Young winger Sam Huihahau crossed just four minutes later when he found himself on the end of a smooth backline movement to make it 16-0. Ben Lowe crossed for his second try in the 25th minute and the Rabbitohs were ahead 20-0.

As the Gosford night began to cool that is the way things stayed until the half-time break.

Wing made his return in the red and green in the second half at halfback but Rabbitohs fans had to wait until the 54th minute to cheer another South Sydney try.

Rabbitohs junior Beau Falloon darted over from dummy half in similar fashion to Luke in the first half and when Paea converted the Rabbitohs lead had jumped out to 26-0.

Strike centre Yileen Gordon was elusive with the ball in hand throughout the night and a 60m bust from him led to Michael Greenfield’s try. Hooker George Ndaira converted to make it 32-0.

With two referees controlling the action before a crowd of 6,056, fullback Beau Champion then forced his way over after the Rabbitohs worked a nice short side second man play in the 67th minute, Paea converted to put Souths led at 38-0.

Then an angled run close to the Sharks try line from Wing resulted in the Rabbitohs eighth and final try of the night. Ndaira again converted for the final scoreline of 44-0.

In a promising display the Rabbitohs were strong across the park as their attack, pinpointed as their Achilles heel in 2007 by Taylor, came together well. Taylor made numerous changes throughout the game and whoever was in the playmaking role, Jeremy Smith, Ben Rogers, Eddie Paea or Craig Wing, looked comfortable.

The Rabbitohs were not often tested by the Sharks attack but when they were the solid defensive foundation they created in 2007 looked to be there again in 2008.

And up front, with Roy Asotasi and David Kidwell watching on from the sideline, the Rabbitohs put in a powerful showing.

RABBITOHS 44 (B Lowe 2, I Luke, S Huihahau, B Falloon, M Greenfield, B Champion, C Wing tries; I Luke 2, E Paea 2, G Ndaira 2) def SHARKS 0

Half-time: Rabbitohs 20 (B Lowe 2 tries; I Luke, S Huihahau tries; I Luke 2 goals) Cronulla 0

Cronulla NYC 26 (Jason Bukuya 2, Lancen Juodo, Nathan Stapleton, Jack Bosden tries; Stapleton 3 goals) def South Sydney NYC 14 (John Joseph, Anga Moli, Brad Takairangi tries; Jamie Ingram 1 goal)

NSW CUP; North Sydney (Shaune Corrigan, Matt Hunt tries; Mark Russell 1, Charlie Hereokufakufa goals) drew with Cronulla 12 (Aaron Firman, Isaac Retzlaffe tries; Harry Berryman 2 goals).

gong_eagle

First Grade
Rabbits audition partners for Wing

SOUTH Sydney's halves puzzle became more complicated last night after a slick performance against a second-string Sharks side.

Souths coach Jason Taylor confirmed star recruit Craig Wing would start the year in the No7 jumper, but his five-eighth partner remains unknown after strong performances from Jeremy Smith, Ben Rogers and Eddie Paea.

"We came here with some things we wanted to work on and commit ourselves to and we did that,'' Taylor said.

Cronulla were a major disappointment, lacking shape and structure with the ball and offering a brittle first line of defence.

For Souths, Manase Manuokafoa was destructive early, virtually demanding a starting jumper for the match against the Roosters.

Wing entered the fray in the second half, adding some class touches.

SOUTHS 44 (B Rowe 2, I Luke, S Huihaha, B Falloon, M Greenfield, B Champion, C Wing tries; Luke 2, E Paea 2, G Nadara 2 goals)CRONULLA 0

coolumsharkie

Referee
All in all it's very early days, Sharks played with virtually no FG players in the forwards. So I'm not entirely worried in that regard... The thing that gets me is a 250k player aka Noddy aka The Toxic Gnome.. has got nothing.. once again. Last year he blames injuries, whats he going to blame this year?

The coach can come under some criticism also... Whatever he was trying to look at last night... I'm sure it doesn't come off good for morale, getting your arse handed to you.

Galeforce

Bench
I place Nothing on the trial , it is only a warm up , like watching them in the dressing room before the game , passing and catching the ball. the good news , is NOONE got hurt and Souths caught and passed the ball OK.

The only thing that will get me excited , is souths belting the wind out of the chickens in the first real game. everything else including the charity is WARMUP.

Galeforce

Bench
sorry to hear about Kearney getting hurt and i sincerely wish him all the best for the season. my comment re No injuries if that created your response was solely focused on the souths team.

miccle

Bench
Anyone else think 6k is fairly sh*te for a town that apparently is league-starved and would adore its own side?

I know it's only a trial, etc. but Ipswich is also firmly in the running to be admitted in a few short years' time and over 8,000 turned out for the GC/Raiders match there, at a much worse venue. Worrying?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
No. Wait til Round 6 and see how full Bluetongue can get.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
What in god's name did you bring this thread up for? :?