What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trial Game Newcastle Knights vs Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks

perverse

Referee
We seem to have a lot of depth, with the exception of the front row. A lot of blokes showing very promising signs elsewhere in the squad but yeah... what do we have if we get a few injuries up front?

slotmachine

First Grade
Sua was the surprise, he might be the fifth best prop shortly.

Croker looked way off the pace.

Jenkins was ordinary, the wing spot is Tuala based on that showing.

perverse

Referee
thought the wing prospects went

Armstrong
Jenkins
Moidreke (sp?)
Tuala

Would personally play Pryce at centre and Gags on the wing.
I think this is what you do if you want to cram as much talent into the top 17 as you can yeah. Pryce would look good at centre, and kicks goals as a huge bonus too, although Kalyn has improved immensely with his goal kicking too.

Knight Tales

Bench
Pryce is a superstar. Have maintained that since the day I saw him play. And today you saw why Joey got Zammit on a 24 hr flight to beat everyone else who was after him. And now the club has to get real and accept even after one game the vultures will be lining up. His class is undeniable.

slotmachine

First Grade
I don't think people hate Wing Tuala. It's Centre Tuala that's the issue.

Yep, I reckon centre Tuala from two seasons ago has poisoned people's minds against him. He was always a very good finisher on the wing, good defender but lacked in yardage runs.

But even last year he had four games in the centres on the unbeaten run to the finals and was pretty decent.

Zoidberg

First Grade
Yep, I reckon centre Tuala from two seasons ago has poisoned people's minds against him. He was always a very good finisher on the wing, good defender but lacked in yardage runs.

But even last year he had four games in the centres on the unbeaten run to the finals and was pretty decent.
I think Tuala’s worst game (v Tigers) has stuck in peoples minds like Brodie Jones best game (v Sharks).

Last edited:

aqua_duck

Coach
Tuala is one of those players who doesn’t really get anyone overly excited but has always been solid especially on the wing. Jenkins looks better in the centre than the wing and looks by far the best in terms of yardage carries. Armstrong has the most X-factor but I’m not sure if he’s up to the physically required at the moment. Moceidreke looks like an Edrick Lee clone, not sure if that’s good or bad

Woody90

Juniors
That trial probably gave AOB more questions than answers. Significant positive though is that we have some really quality depth (in the backs at least).

I don’t put any stock into trial performances but one thing it does show is how f**ked a team will be if they get injuries. We seem to have a wealth of talent that could come in and do a really good job for us…feels really strange after the past decade of not having enough FG players to fill our top squad let alone depth.

If you were going off today’s game alone, Armstrong surprisingly came out on top for the right wing spot. I still think AOB will probably go for Tuala or Jenkins at least initially though. I was really underwhelmed with Jenkins tbh.

Cogger was great, but I still think we should go with Hastings and Gamble to start the season. 1 or 2 trial games really shouldn’t cancel out what Hastings and Gamble did last year. They deserve the right to lose their spot. To be honest, with how our attack is structured I really do think that any combination of the 3 could do a decent job.

Might be going against the grain here, but while Pryce looks to be a talent, I’m not sure he’s ready for week to week NRL yet. Looks like we’ll need to find a spot for him sooner rather than later though, only question is where.

Looks like we’ll need to find a spot for him sooner rather than later though, only question is where.
Pryce looked to have a touch of class about him. If he is as good as he looked to be, then his position surely has to be where he has his hands on the ball as much as possible - 5/8.

I'm a Gamble fan and love his attitude, I just dont know where he fits in.

Woody90

Juniors
Having watched him in the SL my major concern with Pryce is his defence. While he definitely shows signs of being a classy attacking player, that’s only half of the job and he needs to be able to keep up with the pace of the NRL first and foremost or those attacking skills won’t even be a factor. Also need to remind ourselves that the quality of the SL defence is really poor, and we can’t expect that he’ll be able to demonstrate what he did in the the SL.

We’re in a really privileged position where it’s not like we bought him to be our great white hope. He has a bunch of really solid players in front of him in every position so we can take the time to continue to develop him before throwing him in. Will be mutually beneficial for all involved.

Knight Tales

Bench
Cogger’s time under Ivan has been his making. A strong system is everything to a half. And at 26 hopefully we are about to see the promise he had as a teenager fulfilled. His only crime is the timing of him coming into grade when he was far from ready. Browny was overhauling the place.

The one theme to come out of last year’s GF from several pundits is he turned the game by straightening Panthers attack. Penrith were getting sucked into playing Broncos flamboyant style and it was effecting their defence pressure rolling into the attack. once the forwards got the middle owned Cogger allowed Nathan to play what he saw instead of the structure which was not working on the night. Gamble will do well to hold his spot.

Old dog

Bench
I’m seeing Hastings and Gamble starting at 7 & 6 when comp commences and eventually after X amount of weeks it will be Hastings 6 and Cogger 7. I also see Pryce and KPP starting in Cup to adjust to pace etc and playing longer minutes then also after X weeks putting pressure on multiple players/positions for move into 1sts.
We have about 13 players guaranteed a start in top 17 come round 1 and about 10 likely fighting for the remaining 4, nice position to be in.
I see no reason to rush the likes of Sharpe, McCarthy, Armstrong, Pryce, KPP, Sua or Bryan.

Knight Tales

Bench
Hard to recall a time where a group of juniors were legitimately a threat to the current top squad and, had the potential to displace them permanently in some cases. Not sure why Armstrong is a possible mover. He seems to be very smart football wise.