What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trial: Parra vs Penrith

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
So who misses out? Ma'u was consistently selected above Moeroa last season, and Scott isn't going to start from the bench.... Is Watmough going to be a permanent bench player?

Ma'u (in jersey 11) played all 22 games on the left last year, while Moeroa (jersey 12) played all 19 of his on the right.

Scott will come in on the right and I'd expect he will start every game he plays. Moeroa will be in the top 17 every week and will probably bounce around coming off the bench or covering for injury/suspension to players in jerseys 8, 10 and 13. He will likely also be fourth choice edge forward after Ma'u, Scott and Edwards.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Gutherson was very good in second half.

Some very smart plays in tricky situations. Him Gordon and semi as a back 3 is the best we have had as a unit for a very very long time.

We didn't notice the benefit as we were giving away masses of penalties so the sides weren't going set for set. That's the situation where a back 3 can help you win the arm wrestle.

Junior was great and is our best prop by miles and is the X factor in the pack - whatever bulkshit mr tackles per minute tries to spout. However he went into two or three tackles last night which could have ended up in dangerous positions. He still tends to lift and that could have a very negative effect if he gets pinged again.

Tepai will be well ahead of watmough by mid season or end of year.

Kenny was great - but gee he was puffing hard and maybe carrying some weight. He really should only get better.

The improvement in the right hand side is incredible. Defensively it is out of sight. Attack will also improve as the combinations get some time together.

Taka is a creative and. Impetigo be footballer and his lack of pace is overstated on here.

His real issue is the brain explosions in defence. He's not always a bad defender. But he gets into some comical positions sometimes.

Agree Paulo was very good at the end there.

Last edited:

hindy111

Post Whore
To bad Jnr hasnt signed and he actauly wants to stay just waiting for para to aim up.
Re sign norman no1...Jnr no 2...then peats.

He's great, but that's a lot of money for a bloke who spends about 10 weeks of every season suspended, and is facing criminal charges. Can you imagine the reaction if we'd matched that sort of money and his court case goes the wrong way?

Fui had problems with the judiciary when he first started, then he changed his technique and became a great parra player.

I hope we don't lose junior Paulo. He's worth 500k imo.

Fui had problems with the judiciary when he first started, then he changed his technique and became a great parra player.

I hope we don't lose junior Paulo. He's worth 500k imo.

Yeh, I'm referring to both the judiciary issue and the presently unresolved criminal charges (common assault) together.

500k on the cap is more than I'd pay (given the extra risk). If we can bring it down to 400 on the cap (with TPAs / saying 'gosh, look at the interesting thing up there' while waving the contract quickly past the eyes of the cap auditor) it's getting closer to being worth the risk.

jono

Juniors
Actually thought Guntherson went OK. I reckon he could be a great value buy not just for this year but into the future

jk13

First Grade
I thought gutho looked uneasy and overly cautious in the first half, but he looks like a player who would skyrocket with confidence and that started in the 2nd half

jk13

First Grade
Forans defence was also great, at one stage he cut down a big fella one on one 5m out. On the right hand attack he just looked crowded sometimes and Penrith could easily defend it.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Yeh, I'm referring to both the judiciary issue and the presently unresolved criminal charges (common assault) together.

500k on the cap is more than I'd pay (given the extra risk). If we can bring it down to 400 on the cap (with TPAs / saying 'gosh, look at the interesting thing up there' while waving the contract quickly past the eyes of the cap auditor) it's getting closer to being worth the risk.

$500k is close to what a rep forward would cost. We need to decide if Paulo is "rep quality" before we pay him $500k

half_back

Juniors
So who misses out? Ma'u was consistently selected above Moeroa last season, and Scott isn't going to start from the bench.... Is Watmough going to be a permanent bench player?

Personally I'd go with:
8 - Mannah
9 - Peats
10 - Paulo
11 - M'au
12 - Scott
13 - Edwards

14 - Gower
15 - Watmough
16 - Wicks
17 - Moeroa/Alvaro (one to be omitted)
18 - Moeroa/Alvaro
19 - De Gois/Pritchard/King (but only if a back-up #9 is needed)

And that still leaves Terepo, Tanginoa, Nelson, and a host of others as backups if needed.

#depth

Should Watmough return round 2 which is no certainty I'm told the plan is for the team still to line up as it did last night and moving forward with same players in the 11, 12 and 13 jerseys. The bench will be interesting.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Spoke to choc last night and he said he's back on full contact and can't wait to get out there ...

Latest posts