What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trial team Vs Dogs

Frailty

First Grade
Loved how reserved Fitzgibbon was post-game. Wanted them to face a bit more resistance and pressure to see if they’d stick to the fundamentals. Think he will be the never too high and never too low kind of coach.

As for the team:
- I’d be happy with a Hynes-Trindall halves pairing. I think Trindall has the tools to be a great half to compliment Hynes, and he through some good physical hits in defence. Both can kick, both can run and pass, and both pretty good in defence.
- I liked Ronaldo in at centre. I don’t think Tracy offers a whole lot, but I can see why he may be given first choice.
- it was nice to watch a game and not stress about the defence in the middle. No Woods or Tolman being extremely lazy. 15 missed tackles for the game! Last couple of seasons we were watching that in 30 minutes!
- Fifita looked the best he has for a number of years. It’s just a trial and only the Bulldogs, but if he plays like that I’m happy to see him in the 17.
- Forward pack dominated and I liked what I saw from every forward. Adding Rudolph, Talakai, etc. will definitely make the choice difficult (but nice to have).
- Ramien was super strong in defence, but I’d love to see more on the attacking end. Think it’ll click eventually but it needs to happen this season.
- Brailey was looking good with the ball. This will be his break out year.
- Not overly impressed with Berrell - a couple of forward passes and his service looked slow and loopy. Definitely was an effort player though.

Overall, I’ve been hesitant to be too optimistic this season. All the positive stories on the recruitment and Fitzgibbon had me worried about the disappointment - but I saw a lot to like about the game. Especially that both Fitzy and Hynes both acknowledged different areas that need to be worked on.

Weaponhead

Coach
Good hit out with lots of positives as has been mentioned. Discipline and defence were good which no doubt will please the coach. Good cohesion in attack with Hynes orchestrating and Finucane playing the link role. Very pleased for Fifita. He was strong. Good to see Trindall play well after a bludger last week.

Still not sold on Tracey at centre. He will always be 100% effort but lacks skill and defence is not sound.

Dogs are undisciplined trash with no leadership. Burton is class though. How good would he be running our left side with Hynes the right.

Tiger Shark

Bench
Just watched the replay. Nikora get rid of him haha, best edge player on the park by a long way., Tracey will be at 3, Ramien at 4 for now. Ivakalu might have to wait a bit longer, will pair off with Mullas at some stage I ereckon. Metcalf looks like he's put on 10 kegs, centre 2nd row for mine.

Good signs for us but the Bulldogs look like us 2014 after the shit hit the fan. Imagine relying on players like TPJ to win you a GF haha.
Way too small for second rower but think he’s Defn centre material. If he hadn’t jumped ship would have liked to see us groom him for the other spot.

Dogs just went out and got the shiniest toys with out thinking what they needed. Burton was a very good pick up

imasharkie

Coach
BHU was a different player this game compared to last week. He was outstanding and what a change has come over Fifi where did he suddenly start running hard and straight
I'd love to see Ronaldo in centre and Ikavalu on his outside. Time to let Tracey learn to be a substitute hooker or enjoy his playing days at Newtown. Our backline was much better when the changes were made. I hope they persevere with Locky.

bluefox68

Staff member
BHU was a different player this game compared to last week. He was outstanding and what a change has come over Fifi where did he suddenly start running hard and straight
I'd love to see Ronaldo in centre and Ikavalu on his outside. Time to let Tracey learn to be a substitute hooker or enjoy his playing days at Newtown. Our backline was much better when the changes were made. I hope they persevere with Locky.
Yeah - I just didn’t see Tracey do anything of value…

Special K

Coach
Tracey - jack of all trades master of none. I get he has the ability to fill in anywhere but when you have guys like Nikora/Sifa/Wilton who can go to centre. Ronnie spent his jnrs at FB and can play centre. Iku can play wing or centre. McInnes can play 9... I just don't see the need for him.

Trindall is an out and out half but can play small ball middle for us and offers more in the halves as well as back up goal kicking. But we if you were to rank our best players for bench spots I think Hunt, Fifita, Talakai, Wilton etc are better players.

coolumsharkie

Referee
Full speed BHU is safe
My problem with it is that it was a penalty coming from the bunker ffs!! Can't they see he can't just disappear? It's ruining the game and must be incredibly frustrating for players like BHU who can hit very hard. So what do we do? Don;t hit very hard anymore? Not sure anyone is going to like that.

Ozzi_78

First Grade
My problem with it is that it was a penalty coming from the bunker ffs!! Can't they see he can't just disappear? It's ruining the game and must be incredibly frustrating for players like BHU who can hit very hard. So what do we do? Don;t hit very hard anymore? Not sure anyone is going to like that.
“Touch Sir”

Quigs

Immortal
Being the old block headed dinosaur that I am I had to laugh watching Young Pele charging out returning the ball from the kickoffs. It was great to watch for sure but I said to old mate..... could you just imagine a young bloke like that and running with his head like that if he was heading into the likes of Satts, Ned Kelly or even Dallas.

It would be an interesting welcome to first grade young fellah.

Craigshark

First Grade

you could even hear BHU scream through the referee microphone, “it’s rugby league”

sharkpanfa

Juniors
Did anyone else notice that when the ref called BHU over for a chat, he said "we are playing Rugby League for f**k sake"?

Latest posts