What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trial v Parramatta

martielang

Bench
I honestly can’t see the point of trials at all. Surprised a team hasn’t gone into a season without a trial.

You essentially have 5 free rounds at the start of the year to get your mix right.

Panther Pete

Juniors
I honestly can’t see the point of trials at all. Surprised a team hasn’t gone into a season without a trial.

You essentially have 5 free rounds at the start of the year to get your mix right.
Not sure what you mean in that last sentence Martie?

martielang

Bench
Not sure what you mean in that last sentence Martie?

You could go 0 - 5 & still make the 4 comfortably. I also think the first 5 rounds are really luck of the draw, there’s not normally any pattern, teams are good one week & terrible the next.

Injuries seem to be the only thing you get from the preseason. I don’t think you can build any momentum or cohesion from a couple of trials.

Last edited:

Panfa

Juniors
I dont think there will be too many surprises come rd1 edwards mansour whare blake zelezniak maloney cleary fisher harris yeo hetherington Campbell gillard katoa tamou - leota grant sele faumuono

Crashtest

Juniors

I agree with you on that. Especially after losing Kikau for the first four weeks of the NRL.

Just do what Hasler did when he was at the Bulldogs, and run out the reserve grade team to give them experience and a chance to push for first grade, without risking your top 18 or 19 players.

I bet he wished he did that this year with Manly, after losing four players to injury in their first trial, including the major one of Tom Trbojevic.

Panfa

Juniors
Id like to see nick lui toso on the bench young mobile aggressive front rower runs hard hits hard tim grant looked slow and tired last night

franklin2323

Immortal

What is the alternative for getting match simulation? Can't even just play v NSW Cup as they know the plays

franklin2323

Immortal
I agree with you on that. Especially after losing Kikau for the first four weeks of the NRL.

Just do what Hasler did when he was at the Bulldogs, and run out the reserve grade team to give them experience and a chance to push for first grade, without risking your top 18 or 19 players.

I bet he wished he did that this year with Manly, after losing four players to injury in their first trial, including the major one of Tom Trbojevic.

If your team is settled you can. Storm and Roosters didn't trial like the others

Kilkenny

Coach
Id like to see nick lui toso on the bench young mobile aggressive front rower runs hard hits hard tim grant looked slow and tired last night
Nick Lui TOSO still has a lot of work to do building his fitness and being able to go hard for two 20 minute stints. Not quite there yet unfortunately.

Kilkenny

Coach
It has been suggested on here he is not NRL standard but I disagree and I would select Jed CARTWRIGHT off our bench. Big, rangy, has a dangerous off load, covers for an injury in the outside backs and I just think he will step up when given the opportunity. He has more X factor than the other safer options.

franklin2323

Immortal
It has been suggested on here he is not NRL standard but I disagree and I would select Jed CARTWRIGHT off our bench. Big, rangy, has a dangerous off load, covers for an injury in the outside backs and I just think he will step up when given the opportunity. He has more X factor than the other safer options.

He has all that but how can you tell that a guy yet to debut is 1st grade standard?

That said he should be in front of Fuimaono for bench utility but he still needs to show he is upto it

martielang

Bench
In our case. How would you decide who gets the 9 or where Sele and Grant fit in the pecking order?

You’ve got an off season training, past performances, opposed sessions etc You’re not going into it blind, you’d know your preference prior to trials regardless.

Use the first few weeks as your trial run if need be. Teams are that inconsistent in the first month or so, you’re still likely to snag a couple of wins even if you are trying a couple of new things or changing personnel.

franklin2323

Immortal
You’ve got an off season training, past performances, opposed sessions etc You’re not going into it blind, you’d know your preference prior to trials regardless.

Use the first few weeks as your trial run if need be. Teams are that inconsistent in the first month or so, you’re still likely to snag a couple of wins even if you are trying a couple of new things or changing personnel.

Yeah but you have off season surgery.

We lost 3 bench forwards to see who is best to fill those spots. You need to try different things.

General player development training alone won't show up. There is reason why every team does trials