What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trial vs Manly next Friday @ Brookie

Frenzy.

Immortal
Walsh with Penani in the first half. They did well in the first quarter but then in the second when they had NSW cup go forward (taga Ross and degwah were benched) but still plenty of ball they couldn't create any points.

Chad and Robbo in the second. Like I said, we dropped so much ball they barely touched it so it's hardly a fair assessment . I think we kicked maybe 4 times in that half. Once for a try, once for a 40/20, so not a bad conversion rate. Slot Todd in there and we look a hell of a lot better. Prop problem is solved with Gibbs and Fafita. Hooker is the glaring problem for round 1.

NO INJURIES FROM WHAT I COULD SEE.

Ok thx. Doesn't sound tragic really but I didn't need news from a trial to agree with you about hooker. Everyone knows I don't rate Degwah and Moz sounds like he's had a slow start which isn't encouraging from an "old timer"

Did you notice Polotini at all?

Perhaps Licker will be right for a run in the next one.

Frenzy.

Immortal
Anyway folks. Off to bed for me. Work in the morning.

Thanks again newm and bad boy for providing info and answering questions.

MightySharks

Bench
Ok just got home. Here are a few points. Please keep in mind the first grade section was cruelled as a genuine comtest by dropped ball.

- Gardz looked much better under the high ball but he's just too small for first grade. Against a set defence he gets smashed and they read that inside run like a book. Gordon was solid.
- j Moz played first drop hooker and was awful. Manly played the best footy of the night with their short passing in the middle third and he couldn't keep up.
- without Gibbs gal and fifita our go forward is non existent off our line.
- jonno wright bombed 2 tries by not offloading to Stapler. Stapler was awful. Mills was awful apart from one good tackle, m wright was average playing centre. Leutele was strong. Beau scored a streaky try but did little else.

All in all I think we will have a very good NSW cup team this year. We need Louie, Gal, Gibbs and Fifita on the field to finish top 8 in firsts. Our half back, hooker and front row are all a concern for me. And the outside backs are still a problem.

I thought Gardner looked good he was fit, fast and looked enthusiastic.

He set up a try not with a kick return but a very quick 20 meter tap.

I would like to see him in first grade,he is not to small at all there have been many successful small fullbacks and if he can get his attitude and confidence I think he boosts our back line we lack speed and skill and he has both.

newman

First Grade
Newmans rd 1 team:

1. Gordon
2. Gardner (yes, yes. He was a real handful in attack and was great under the high ball. Give him a run somewhere)
3. Pom
4. Leutele
5. Ryan
6. Todd the god
7. Robson
8. Gibbs
9. De gois. Was miles better that Morris tonight. Whoever plays 9 needs to go 80. With LL in the team J Moz versatility is nullified.
10. Ross
11. Wade.
12. Louie
13. Gal

14. Fafita
15. Taufua
16. Bukuya
17. Heighington

Ok thx. Doesn't sound tragic really but I didn't need news from a trial to agree with you about hooker. Everyone knows I don't rate Degwah and Moz sounds like he's had a slow start which isn't encouraging from an "old timer"

Did you notice Polotini at all
?

Perhaps Licker will be right for a run in the next one.

Portugal had more game time but his passing was sharp. Morris got caught with he ball 4 or 5 times, he (morris) did put the kick on for Ryan which was very good.
Lickher is definitely the leader of the young fellas, he did a chat with ALL their players after the game.

Last edited:
Newms they were running Gardz on the right wing at the end there, that is Ryan's spot but it was good to see them thinking this way.

Windy70

Juniors
Defensively Gards is a question mark due to his size. But his attack can come from any where on the field. I hope we find a place for him. Big heart, good skills and he so wants to be a Shark from what I see and hear.

Find him a spot, he can turn a game.

webShark

Left edge. Was strong.

Agree. Peach, Rockafella the positives. Morris poor. The guys I was with liked Flash's contribution but I thought he was quiet.

Manly have no depth. Conclusion ,we have a better NSW Cup squad. I too thought Portugal and Polotini ok. Ross looked rusty.

Ryan McGoldrick

Juniors
What I learnt today:

-Manly's NSW cup team is going to have a very long year.

-The seats at Brookvale have no where near enough leg room - back to the hill next time.

-Peach is legit.

-We have some solid depth and some of the boys in the top squad are really going to have to perform to keep their spots.

Can't really take much more from a trial but still glad I went.

gavin_miller

Juniors
Saw both games tonight, there is a lot to look forward to. Agree with most of what the others said, but I thought DeGois and Gardner deserved more praise. Both were energetic and created chances. Gordon will be great but he was no more than solid tonight. Play them both I say.
-Question mark on J.Wright in centres. Ricky was the best all night. Its only one trial of course though.
-Bukuya ran hard but dropped a lot of ball.
- Roqica will be a cult fave. Great off the bench.
- Tagatease went well, looks fitter.
- Peachey took it to them, hope he gets a shot in firsts somewhere.
- the fijian flyer is extremely green, but when he got his moment he put the foot down and it was awesome. But needs a lot of NSW Cup I would suggest.
- Was introduced to Michael Lichaa, he is a quality kid and will go a long way.

It was a solid hit out; no one was overly amazing but no one was bad either. Morris is looking older but hopefully he won't be starting ever...

Vin Fizz

Bench
Thought both acquitted themselves well. Heighno did a couple of great late offloads and defended very well. He seemed to play quite tight in fact. He played in 13 but I thought he took on a front rowers workload last night which is why he faded out. He didn't get a lot of help tbh. Harrison had a horrible game, Tamou vagued in and out and the other forwards were made to look stoopid by JT. Fifita was great. He ran hard and could've scored if Birdy had have got his hands free when they were pressing in the second half. If he plays like that for us we are in for a sensational year. Very happy with both our reps. If JT stays fit we are ratous shitous in Origin and the Cows are short for the title. Fast becoming one of the best of the best.

Tucky

Juniors
Pretty good sumation Vin. I was a little concerned when we signed Heighno, but on last nights performance he could be good for us.