What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trials 2021

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Pretty average game, they will be better for the run. Sullivan would have been very handy in that final 20 minutes. Coric looks a beast I’d promote him. Both Feagais hit hard, the Fijian bloke who’s name I’m nowhere near ready to spell looked very good to me. Great hands, great talk and fast and powerful. A smoky for me.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Ok trial game.

Obvious there's a large gap between the part-timers and the regular players, however, some observations and I know it's the 1st trial.

The Feagai's need some work. Hence the rumoured talk of Ramsey starting at left centre.
Blacker didn't do much to impress, in fact the lad from QLD was more aggressive and showed lots of work rate.
SSE unfortunately had a shocker.
I can see clearly why Hook wanted McCollough, even though Wishart and Muhleisen played well, defensively not there yet.

Interesting to see who backs up next Thursday against the Eels (I believe it's restricted players as well).

Old Timer

Coach
Hard to know what to expect out of trials especially those that involve large numbers.

The senior players obviously looking for a bit of a run and body contact to get ready for NRL duties so not surprising they don’t do all that much.

So for me it is about the basics catch, pass, step, kick, marking up, making good your tackles.

Having been no CC for a year many were well overdue for a bit of a blow out and that’s what we saw with the very talented players showing that bit more.

I expect to see improvement in them next week and significant improvement in any that get serious time in the CC.

So in the end nothing to get too pissed off with but obviously much needed to come together quickly and you will only get that with matches against real opponents.

redv13

Bench
1st trial in 30 degree heat, minimal 1st graders. Nothing to see here people , no use in looking at the scoreboard. Thought Sullivan was great, Sims and Ford were fine in their stint but my gripe is definitely Blacker. Jeez he’s a long way off 1st grade and needs to get his ass moving if he wants a crack this year

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Need I remind everyone when Bennett arrived for 2009 we lost all trial matches.
We went in to win the Minor Premiership that year.
Not saying that will happen however let the Coaching staff break it down into strengths and opportunities and go from there.
It would be way off the mark to think this trial meant much other than a glimpse of some options but it’s way further off the mark to even speculate making the 8 at this stage. If they defy the odds I’ll be the first to happily eat my words but I certainly wouldn’t be putting my house on us making the 8 this year let alone threatening the top 4.

redv13

Bench
It would be way off the mark to think this trial meant much other than a glimpse of some options but it’s way further off the mark to even speculate making the 8 at this stage. If they defy the odds I’ll be the first to happily eat my words but I certainly wouldn’t be putting my house on us making the 8 this year let alone threatening the top 4.
Without McInnes I’d say we’re bottom 3. Happily put my hand up if I’m wrong.

Dragonsteve2

Juniors
The best sign of improvement for me tonight was the fact that as far as I could see the whole NRL squad was in attendance. I was shocked that I never saw Mary at a CC game other than when the NRL team was playing at the same venue and only saw first graders at finals time. Tonight a tick for club culture.

At first I didn't realise I was sitting in the midst of Junior Amone's family. His sister very kindly shared some of the family's meal with me. Her Dad would not let me make a contribution. A lovely family!

getsmarty

Immortal
remote.axd

Match Highlights: Sharks v Dragons

MATCH REPORT

Sharks come from behind to down Dragons
Author
Troy Whittaker NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Fri 12 Feb 2021, 07:50 PM
Share on social media
Teenage Dragons halfback Jayden Sullivan enhanced his NRL claims but Braydon Trindall and Luke Metcalf inspired the Sharks to a 36-28 trial win on Friday evening.

In the first match of 2021, limited to those who played 12 or fewer first-grade games in 2020, Cronulla overcame a 22-20 half-time deficit to run out seven-tries-to-five winners at PointsBet Stadium.

Uncapped former Sea Eagle Metcalf, a Sharks junior who spent the game at fullback but can also play in the halves, produced three sublime try assists with pinpoint passing selection.

Halfback Trindall, with five NRL appearances to his name, displayed his skillset as he set up multiple tries and scored one himself in warm conditions.

But the first half belonged to St George Illawarra's Sullivan, the 19-year-old who debuted against Melbourne in round 20 last year.

Match: Sharks v Dragons

Round 1 - Friday 12th February

Full Time

Home Team

Sharks

Scored 36 points

Away Team

Dragons

Scored 28 points

Venue: PointsBet Stadium, Sydney

The talented playmaker conjured up the opening four-pointer with a delightful inside ball to fullback Tyrell Sloan, then crossed himself in the following set after supporting hooker Tyran Wishart – son of Steelers great Rod – on a long-range break.

Sullivan kicked extremely well in general play and didn't shirk his task in defence, often leading the chase downfield and hitting with strong contact.

He could come into contention for coach Anthony Griffin's round one team with incumbent five-eighth Corey Norman awaiting a potential sanction from the NRL Integrity Unit over an off-field incident.

Established names including Tariq Sims, Daniel Alvaro, Kaide Ellis, Brayden Wiliame and Jackson Ford ran around for the Dragons alongside fringe and NSW Cup players.

Winger Nene Macdonald was Cronulla's most experienced man with lock Billy Magoulias, centre Mawene Hiroti, Trindall and prop Daniel Vasquez the only others to have played NRL.

remote.axd

Sullivan sets up Sloan

Sullivan sets up Sloan

Former Wigan Warriors forward Gabe Hamlin, who has signed with Sharks feeder team Newtown, came off the interchange and set up a try.

As is customary for a clash on a balmy February night, there were errors aplenty and some loose defence from both teams in the attack-fest.

After St George Illawarra's hot start, Macdonald got Cronulla on the board by finishing a well-worked sweep play on the left edge.

But he then coughed up possession coming out of danger and Jaiyden Hunt pounced for the Dragons, extending their lead.

Cronulla edged closer again when Trindall perfectly lofted a cut-out pass for former Knights and Warriors player Kayal Iro, son of Kevin, to go over out wide.

The Sharks No.7 was involved as his team scored again, linking with the speedy Metcalf who found second-rower Teig Wilton with a short ball. He showed great footwork to reach the in-goal.

The frenetic end-to-end nature of the fixture continued and the Dragons landed the next blow when highly-rated five-eighth Junior Amone placed a grubber that prop Josh Coric grounded in the nick of time.

Once more Metcalf came to the fore, shooting the Steeden to Macdonald's flank and the Papua New Guinean flyer grabbed a double against his former club to make it 22-20 just prior to the break.

Hamlin busted the line to begin the second term and generously handed the ball back to Trindall, who had put him into a hole.

Metcalf kept up his impressive night with another long ball that sent Kayal Iro – the son of former Warrior Kevin – over the stripe.

Hiroti pushed Cronulla further ahead before Connor muhleisen burrowed his way over from dummy-half for St George Illawarra's only second-half points.

remote.axd

Wilton hits a hole

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2021/02/12/sharks-come-from-behind-to-down-dragons/

denis preston

First Grade
1st trial in 30 degree heat, minimal 1st graders. Nothing to see here people , no use in looking at the scoreboard. Thought Sullivan was great, Sims and Ford were fine in their stint but my gripe is definitely Blacker. Jeez he’s a long way off 1st grade and needs to get his ass moving if he wants a crack this year

For me red v Ford can join Blacker based on tonights game. Not the best in defense is he. I hope Hooks defence game is still a work in progress.

redv13

Bench
For me red v Ford can join Blacker based on tonights game. Not the best in defense is he. I hope Hooks defence game is still a work in progress.
Yeah I’m willing to put it down to fatigue. He ran some really good lines in the 1st half and was very dangerous on the edge. But even last year he loved a jersey grab in defence and it’s definitely an area he needs to fix ASAP

Dragon David

First Grade
Defensive lapses and too many handling errors by our guys but overall not too bad from most of the guys who have not really played very much in a year. Plenty of improvement needed which means a lot of hard work before the comp starts. See how they go again next week against the Eels.

The test will be when both teams have their full compliment of players on the field in March.