What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trials 2021

Mark D

Juniors
Great = Sullivan (see some Choc / Cliffs Lyons in him)
Good = Croic Wishart Alvaro
Disappointing = Feagais boy...
Just don’t get it = Blacker.... the bloke should dominate but has been and was very under whelming

denis preston

First Grade
Yeah I’m willing to put it down to fatigue. He ran some really good lines in the 1st half and was very dangerous on the edge. But even last year he loved a jersey grab in defence and it’s definitely an area he needs to fix ASAP

He did run good lines. I observed just like Host can but if he had Host's body he would have broken the line on a couple of occasions. I'm still smarting from us letting him go but i guess the next two seasons for Host will prove the club or me right or wrong on this ( i predict we will buy him back at a much higher rate than we would have if we kept him ) .

Old Timer

Coach
He did run good lines. I observed just like Host can but if he had Host's body he would have broken the line on a couple of occasions. I'm still smarting from us letting him go but i guess the next two seasons for Host will prove the club or me right or wrong on this ( i predict we will buy him back at a much higher rate than we would have if we kept him ) .
My thoughts exactly.

getsmarty

Immortal

The thing is...he was always going...damage was done...would have also loved to keep him...we are currently dealing with the mess from the last 8 Years...will not be fixed overnight.

redv13

Bench
I know for a fact that Hosty did not want to leave but was shown zero interest from mcflop. The damage was done prior to Griffins arrival and a contract with Souths was already agreed upon. Sad to see a genuine Saints junior treated like garbage by the ex painter

kit66

Bench
I just watched the replay, some good signs, some not so good.

Not so good ;
Our defence was pretty ordinary in parts especially when they shifted the ball wide - as Blocker called " passive defence " - same as last year.
Our tries were all opportunistic where-as Cronulla's tries were all nicely worked, spread the ball wide with some crisp passes. Our play was all in the middle of the park after the first 20 mins, rarely going wide when clearly there were opportunities out there.
Our discipline - what discipline ? We dropped the ball about 100 times....at least.
I'm not going to criticise any players as it's a first hit out for some in over 12 months and it's a trial, plus it was 30+ degrees.

Good signs ;
Sullivan and Amone were both great. Sullivan's kicks were all quality and his kick chase even better - first one there whether it was his kick or Amone's. Sullivan also looks so relaxed and at home. Amone, elusive and also handy with the boot. Both defended really well.
Sims looks fit and strong and keen.
Josh Coric ( 17 ) and Jayden Hunt ( 18 ) were impressive, good hit ups and some good defence with Hunt putting in a great hit on a charging forward from a kick off.
Other good prospects - Tyran Wishart - looks a handy rake, Sitiveni Moceidreke ( wore 5 but played fullback ) tall, lanky Fijian, moves really well and showed great positional play at the back. Sloan looks the goods but a year or more off first grade.

Great opening 20 minutes from the boys. It ended up 7 tries to our 5 but we crossed 3 times for no chocolates in the last 20. The refereeing was very relaxed and ordinary.

Daniel Alvaro, Junior Amone, Bailey Antrobus, Eddie Blacker, Luke Chalker, Josh Coric, Mathew Delbanco, Blake Dowel, Kaide Ellis, Mat Feagai, Max Feagai, Jackson Ford, Zeik Foster, Jaiyden Hunt, Nathan Leatigaga, Hayden Lomax, Sam McCann, Sitiveni Moceidreke, Connor Muhleisen, Tony Pellow, Charly Runciman, Shaun Sauni-Esau, Tariq Sims, Tyrell Sloan, Jayden Sullivan, Brayden Wiliame, Tyran Wishart

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I just watched the replay, some good signs, some not so good.

Not so good ;
Our defence was pretty ordinary in parts especially when they shifted the ball wide - as Blocker called " passive defence " - same as last year.
Our tries were all opportunistic where-as Cronulla's tries were all nicely worked, spread the ball wide with some crisp passes. Our play was all in the middle of the park after the first 20 mins, rarely going wide when clearly there were opportunities out there.
Our discipline - what discipline ? We dropped the ball about 100 times....at least.
I'm not going to criticise any players as it's a first hit out for some in over 12 months and it's a trial, plus it was 30+ degrees.

Good signs ;
Sullivan and Amone were both great. Sullivan's kicks were all quality and his kick chase even better - first one there whether it was his kick or Amone's. Sullivan also looks so relaxed and at home. Amone, elusive and also handy with the boot. Both defended really well.
Sims looks fit and strong and keen.
Josh Coric ( 17 ) and Jayden Hunt ( 18 ) were impressive, good hit ups and some good defence with Hunt putting in a great hit on a charging forward from a kick off.
Other good prospects - Tyran Wishart - looks a handy rake, Sitiveni Moceidreke ( wore 5 but played fullback ) tall, lanky Fijian, moves really well and showed great positional play at the back. Sloan looks the goods but a year or more off first grade.

Great opening 20 minutes from the boys. It ended up 7 tries to our 5 but we crossed 3 times for no chocolates in the last 20. The refereeing was very relaxed and ordinary.

Daniel Alvaro, Junior Amone, Bailey Antrobus, Eddie Blacker, Luke Chalker, Josh Coric, Mathew Delbanco, Blake Dowel, Kaide Ellis, Mat Feagai, Max Feagai, Jackson Ford, Zeik Foster, Jaiyden Hunt, Nathan Leatigaga, Hayden Lomax, Sam McCann, Sitiveni Moceidreke, Connor Muhleisen, Tony Pellow, Charly Runciman, Shaun Sauni-Esau, Tariq Sims, Tyrell Sloan, Jayden Sullivan, Brayden Wiliame, Tyran Wishart
Yeah I've watched it a few times and agree with all your points. The three players that stood out to me in terms of pushing their claims were Sullivan (looks more ready than I thought) Jayden Hunt (Hadn't heard of him but he stood out) and Moceidreke (Looked to have a safe set of hands and is tall and fast) Not necessarily saying they played the best out of everyone but in terms of increasing their chances of either making the 17 for FG or getting into our top 30 from out of the blue they certainly did their chances no harm. If Ravalawa makes the round 1 side but still has the dropsies it wouldn't be a shock to me to see Moceidreke make his way into the squad at some stage this year.

jeffdragon

Bench
Yeah I've watched it a few times and agree with all your points. The three players that stood out to me in terms of pushing their claims were Sullivan (looks more ready than I thought) Jayden Hunt (Hadn't heard of him but he stood out) and Moceidreke (Looked to have a safe set of hands and is tall and fast) Not necessarily saying they played the best out of everyone but in terms of increasing their chances of either making the 17 for FG or getting into our top 30 from out of the blue they certainly did their chances no harm. If Ravalawa makes the round 1 side but still has the dropsies it wouldn't be a shock to me to see Moceidreke make his way into the squad at some stage this year.

Moceidreke was with us before. Left
Played in Ron Massey cup, i can't remember who for then went to Souths now back.

Dragon David

First Grade
As a trial game, I would have liked to have seen much more offloads. To me perfecting this art is better done on the pitch playing a proper game than practising the offloads at training. We have lacked doing this in much of Mary's poor tenure as our "coach".

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Moceidreke was with us before. Left
Played in Ron Massey cup, i can't remember who for then went to Souths now back.
I watched some of his highlights prior to the game and tbh he didn't look anything special but in the trial he looked really good. I think he's 26 so a bit of a journeyman I think he's played for Melbourne and a few other teams but the one thing I liked was his hands. As much potential as Rava has, butterfingers are no go for me. If he can fix that then the sky is the limit but if not we could do worse than this bloke. If you are big tall and fast and have good hands you will score plenty of tries so long as he's outside a centre that can pass.

denis preston

First Grade
I know for a fact that Hosty did not want to leave but was shown zero interest from mcflop. The damage was done prior to Griffins arrival and a contract with Souths was already agreed upon. Sad to see a genuine Saints junior treated like garbage by the ex painter
I'm close to this action as well RV. Unforgivable , and Millward is also part of this shit as well. It's hard enough to attract quality players to the club but to flip off your own when he is peaking shows how bad this club has gone with scant quality "league experience " I really hope the outside boys ( coaching staff ) install a new culture as sure as hell we need it!

redv13

Bench
I'm close to this action as well RV. Unforgivable , and Millward is also part of this shit as well. It's hard enough to attract quality players to the club but to flip off your own when he is peaking shows how bad this club has gone with scant quality "league experience " I really hope the outside boys ( coaching staff ) install a new culture as sure as hell we need it!
Well said mate. You can throw Hame Sele into the above comments too. Another Saints junior!!

slippery5

Juniors
1st trial in 30 degree heat, minimal 1st graders. Nothing to see here people , no use in looking at the scoreboard. Thought Sullivan was great, Sims and Ford were fine in their stint but my gripe is definitely Blacker. Jeez he’s a long way off 1st grade and needs to get his ass moving if he wants a crack this year
Someone who has seen more of Blacker than me in Qld jnr rep games thinks he hasn't the heart or motor to make it when it comes to playing men, compared to running over teenagers not yet developed.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Someone who has seen more of Blacker than me in Qld jnr rep games thinks he hasn't the heart or motor to make it when it comes to playing men, compared to running over teenagers not yet developed.
One good thing is we should see CC this season so he’ll get a good chance build his motor up. The games I’ve seen him play he tries a bit too hard and burns himself out. Maybe just needs to learn to pace a stint out. Time will tell, props do take a while to develop and I’m sure they will be flogging him all year. He will probably end up a bit slimmer and a more tall rangy prop and he might have a few more minutes in him. Players like Coric have probably jumped ahead of him now.

Drakon

Juniors
Blacker faces four-game ban over dangerous contact charge
Author
Dan WalshNRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Mon 15 Feb 2021, 05:30 PM
walshdan-head.png

Share on social media
Dragons forward Eddie Blacker is facing the prospect of a four-game suspension over an incident which injured Sharks opponent Jack Williams in Friday's trial loss to Cronulla.

He has been charged with grade-two dangerous contact to the head/neck of Sharks five-eighth Jack Williams in the 35th minute of the pre-season clash at Kogarah.

Blacker was making a run from a kick-off and while being tackled, he attempted to palm Williams away but the match review committee alleged that his forearm connected with his opponent's throat.

Williams continued to play for a few minutes before coming from the field and was later taken to hospital. He was placed in an induced coma as a precautionary measure for a few hours due to breathing difficulties.

He suffered nerve damage to his throat but has been able to sit up in bed for the past couple of days and continues to undergo tests regarding the injury.

Due to a prior offence in the past two years, he cannot get a reduction from a three-week ban with an early guilty plea and risks an extra week on the sidelines if he contests the charge at the judiciary.

remote.axd

Match Highlights: Sharks v Dragons

Match Highlights: Sharks v Dragons

Blacker, who joined St George Illawarra in 2019 from the Broncos, made his NRL debut in round 20 last season off the bench against Melbourne.

Dragons teammate Jayden Sullivan can escape a ban for a dangerous throw on Cronulla's Gabe Hamlin.

Kayleb Milne will also accrue just 75 demerit points if the Sharks young gun does likewise for a similar tackle on Dragons veteran Tariq Sims.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/02/15/blacker-faces-four-game-ban-over-dangerous-contact-charge/

since77

Juniors
Well said mate. You can throw Hame Sele into the above comments too. Another Saints junior!!
Host was definitely shafted by McGregor and I think he’ll blossom under Bennett. To be fair though Hame Sele hasn’t done anything notable at either Penrith or at Souths and he’s playing under Bennett at Souths. Last game I watched him play in 2020 he dropped the ball way too easily a few times which was his biggest issue under McFlop as well. I just don’t think he’s going to come good at NRL level.