What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Triple Ms Top 1000

L

legend

I'll throw in Flame Trees by the Chisels and Eagle Rock by Daddy Cool.

imported_bronco

Juniors
Moff I would probably add Hotel California by the Eagle to that top 20 and I think legend may be right that Sweet Home Alabama by Lynard Skynard could very well be in there.
Though looking at the top 980 songs there will definetly be a few odd ones in the top 20 as I see your preparing for with How you remind me by Nickleback on there moffo.

L

legend

This is my list:

1.Voodoo Child - Jimmy Hendrix
2.Stairway to Heaven - Led Zeppelin
3.Rock and Roll all nite - KISS
4.Alive - Pearl Jam
5.You shook me all night long AC/DC
6.Another Brick in the Wall Part 2 - Pink Floyd
7.Smoke On The Water - Deep Purple
8.Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit 9.Metallica - Unforgiven
10.Red Hot Chilli Peppers - Under The Bridge
11.Offspring - Self-Esteem
12.Cold Chisel - Flame Trees
13.Greenday - Time of your life
14.The Eagles - Hotel California
15.Lynard Skynard - Sweet Home Alabama
16.Cold Chisel - Cheap Wine
17.Metallica - Nothing Else Matters
18.Bon Jovi - It's my life
19.Aerosmith/Run DMC - Walk this Way
20. Light My Fire - Doors

imported_E_A__

Juniors
In no particular order...

Black Knight - Deep Purple
Another Brick in the Wall Part 2 - Pink Floyd
Stairway to Heaven - Led Zeppelin
Voodoo Chile - Jimmy Hendrix
Alive - Pearl Jam
You shook me all night long - AC/DC
Light my Fire - Doors
Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana
Smoke On The Water - Deep Purple
Bat out of Hell - Meatloaf
Cheap Wine - Cold Chisel
Don't stand so close to me - Police
Walk this Way - Aerosmith/Run DMC
Sweet Child of Mine - Guns 'n' Roses
Under The Bridge - Red Hot Chilli Peppers

It's my life - Bon Jovi
Nothing Else Matters - Metallica
Time of your Life - Green Day (good call, it's a year 12 farewell anthem)
Self Esteem - Offspring (apparently it's good lol. G/F again)
Sweet Home Alabama - Lynyrd Skynyrd

Flame Trees is already there at #140.
Rock and Roll All Night already there at #454

I don't think they'll put Lynyrd in, even though they should and they better NOT put No Doubt in.

L

legend

This is another one from left field but would "American Pie" by Don McLean rate a mention or even Phil Collin's "In the air tonight"?

You would think so, but i put American Pie, In the Air Tonightin the same category as Hotel California, i don't think Triple M would play it (although i could be wrong). Are they rock songs?? Hmmm...are 1/2 the songs in there rock songs?? lol Im even a bit iffy about including Hurricane, i cant recall Triple M playing that song much.

...Soooooo....Rock and Roll all nite by Kiss is out. OK then, well im going to list 20 now (in order). Not how i would order them, but how triple m will

1. Stairway to Heaven - Led Zeppelin
2. Alive - Pearl Jam
3. Another Brick in the Wall Part 2 - Pink Floyd
4. Smells Like Teen Spirit- Nirvana
5. Nothine Else Matters - Metallica
6. Under the Bridge - Red Hot Chilli Peppers
7. Smoke On The Water - Deep Purple
8. You Shook Me All Night Long - AC/DC
9.Time of Your Life - Greenday
10. Black - Pearl Jam
11. Self Esteem - Offspring
12. Unforgiven - Metallica
13. Hurricane - Bob Dylan
14. Voodoo Child - Jimi Hendrix
15. Cheap Wine - Cold Chisel
16. Hurricane - Bob Dylan
17. Sweet Home Alabama - Lynard Skynard
18. Nickelback - How You remind me
19. Light My Fire - Doors
20. Walk This Way - Aerosmith/Run DMC

There we have it!

Cheers,
Moffo

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Sorry to sound so ungracious but this thread has given me 47 more reasons why I will never listen to MMM...

imported_E_A__

Juniors
lol Willow.

Goddam it NO Genesis!!!May as well have some Elty or Culture Club.

Stairway is never number one, it's usually a Pearl Jam song. It should be number one though, if ever there was a rock song everyone knows, it's Stairway.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
"...if ever there was a rock song everyone knows, it's Stairway"
You may know that Rolf Harris did a cover version of Stairway to Heaven for an Andrew Denton sketch on the ABC... and it became a top 40 hit in Australia and the UK.

Rolf later confessed in an interview that it had never heard of the song before.
So thats one guy who knows his rock....lol

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Yeah, I think so. He's come a long way since Two Little Boys and Jake the Peg... which btw should be on the MMM list as well.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Ah yes.. another Aussie who did well in the old dart.
Frank Ifield started it all... probably a little before your time but I Remember You is a definite candidate for the MMM top 1000.

O

ozbash

frank ifield,,, now we,re talking :)

burl ives
gene pitney
jim reeves..................those were the days i tell you. they were !!

H

Hass

The way to do this is to nominate songs that we think should be in the top 20 and slowly but surely eliminate the ones that have already been played. At this point can I add that "Walk This Way" was played way back at No.# 885.

I believe I've got the nouse to work out how this countdown is going to end. You've got to remember two things. Firstly, what songs usually end up towards the top of these countdowns Triple M have! And secondly, you need to remember that the countdown is compiled after looking at voting that has taken place via fax, phone and the internet- remember that idiots are also allowed to vote!

So I'll just do a little bit of investgating before providing the first of my summations...

Cheers.

H

Hass

The latest casualty from Moffo's list...

The Unforgiven 1 & 2 have both already been played.

H

Hass

Firstly, Smells Like Teen Spirit will be Number 1 for this countdown. It is always right near the top of these countdowns on Triple M and with the release of the Nirvana Greatest Hits Album they have been in the forefront of people's minds- people who cast votes.

.After slowly wading through the songs in the list a number of times, I can state with 100% certainty that the following songs are ones which are not on the list. They are also songs that are almost dead-certs to be in the Top 20. As I confirm with 100% accuracy more songs that aren't on the list I'll be able to add to what we have here.

Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana
Under The Bridge - Red Hot Chilli Peppers
Alive - Pearl Jam
You Shook Me All Night Long - AC/DC
Stairway To Heaven - Led Zepplin
Another Brick In The Wall (Part 2) - Pink Floyd
Good Riddance (Time of Your Life) - Green Day
Come As You Are - Nirvana
Hotel California - The Eagles
Bat Out of Hell - Meatloaf

Hotel California and Bat out of Hell seem to be part of the staple classics that are always a part of these Triple M countdowns. They appear in every countdown along with the likes of Another Brick in The Wall and Stairway to Heaven. More importantly, neither have been played.

That leaves us with 10 that I am 100% certain will be in the Top 20. We just need to find the other 10. I'd do it now but I really should be going to bed!

Cheers.