What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Try of the Week, Rd 4

Try of the Week?

• Eric Grothe

Votes: 57 39.3%
  • David Faiumu

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • Paul Mellor

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Anthony Minichiello

Votes: 37 25.5%
  • Matt Orford

Votes: 7 4.8%
  • Adam Mogg

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Luke Lewis

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • David Howell

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Manu Vatuvei

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • Shane Elford (1st try, ie, backline movement)

• Daniel Fitzhenry (3rd try, ie, flick pass from Collis)

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • Ryan Hoffman

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Thierry Henry said:
Vatuvei's try wasn't even the best by the Warriors, Rovelli's was better imo.

Agree, although both were the best we've seen from them this year, and certainly an encouraging sign.

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
Grothe - one reason, it was on the back of an exhilarating defensive effort, so it also changed the momentum in the game. The fact that he outpaced both matt sing and bowen, was just the icing on the cake.

Kris_man

Bench
Webb basically just cut through the defense around the fringes of the ruck, and drew the fullback to pur Rovelli over; there were a number of tries like that this week (including Slater's two), so it didn't really stand out to me, and that's the reaosn I didn't put it up. Looks like it's going to be a two horse race this week anyway.

Iafeta

Referee
Kris man, watch what happened before Webb got the ball, a big bloke in Tuimavave fooled the Knights defence with a burst of acceleration and a terrific side step.

As far as Warriors tries went, I rated Grant Rovelli's better than Manu Vatuvei's.

Kris_man

Bench
That's cool, and it wouldn't surprise me if some people thought that Wesser's try deserved to be in the nominations. Ultimately, though, it doesn't matter, because none of them would have got close to racking up the votes that the two frontrunners have racked up, and this competition is not about who's nominated, it's about who wins!

Anyway the most important thing is that my opinion won't influence the nominations after this week, because I'll open the thread early and nominations will be made as the round progresses (although I'm not sure if a poll can be made on an already existing thread...might have to make two separate ones, which isn't ideal, but meh)

Hurriflatch

Referee
c_eagle said:
Minichello's for sure. Anyone who says otherwise either didn't watch it or is an idiot.

Or maybe they have a difference of opinion if you want to live in a world where only 1 opinion is allowed go break Saddam out of prison

Mr Saab

Referee
Grothe easy.
It was like turning back the clock 23 yrs to see his father in his prime, except i think Grothe Jnr is a bit quicker than his father.

The Preacher

First Grade
Mr Saab said:
Grothe easy.
It was like turning back the clock 23 yrs to see his father in his prime, except i think Grothe Jnr is a bit quicker than his father.

How quick is he Chucky ??? Have you ever seen a player draw away from Sing and Bowen like that before.
They couldn't have run any faster and they were LOSING GROUND to him.:shock:

Mr Saab

Referee
No so much Bowen as he had no chance from where he was in the defensive line, but what he did to Sing for a man of his size was remarkable.
He would have to be the quickest 6'3 95kg plus winger of the past 30 yrs.

The Preacher

First Grade
Mr Saab said:
No so much Bowen as he had no chance from where he was in the defensive line, but what he did to Sing for a man of his size was remarkable.
He would have to be the quickest 6'3 95kg plus winger of the past 30 yrs.

Have to agree 100%. An amazing exhibition of speed and wing play.
If he has to, he can also break tackles, and it takes him no time at all to get to top pace.

parra73

Juniors
Twizzle said:
Guru for, reminded me of is old man

it sure did brings tears to my eyes after watching him outpace sing & bowen the guys a machine just like his old man.

Through my green glasses, David Howells was the best as the full time siron had almost gone and he had a heap of work to do to get the ball down to take us into golden point.

Kris_man

Bench
waltzing Meninga said:
Through my green glasses, David Howells was the best as the full time siron had almost gone and he had a heap of work to do to get the ball down to take us into golden point.
:lol::lol: dear oh dear, not another one! I think us Raiders fans have just become accustomed to mediocrity.

Kris_man said:
:lol::lol: dear oh dear, not another one! I think us Raiders fans have just become accustomed to mediocrity.

He had 2 defenders in front of him and had work to do. By david Howell's standards that is a great try!! not to mention the timing of it.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Grothes try,Mini's was good but their's no comparision, and talked up by the 10 Manly fans on this site.

Mini's by 2 lengths to Guru Jr. An honourable mention to a try not mentioned in the pole. Billy "kick-like-a-mule" Slater's 1st try in the 2nd half of the Tigers game. It was as slick a try as I've seen this season, but rated a mention more becuase of the howling boo's he got when steaming to the tryline.

If you see it again, you'll see what I mean.

m0j0

Bench
Being a Chooks fan, I really enjoyed the Mini try, but my vote went to the Grothe try. The speed of that guy is awesome. It was very depressing the last couple of years watching Walker run out in a Roosters jersey after letting Grothe slip away.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Grothes try was a try which is to hard to describe. The counter attack, step, speed...the site of Bown & Sing loosing ground to him brillant!!!. It reminded me of another Grothe try in 2000 against Penrith, Grothe doen a similar thing to Chris hicks except he fended him off brillantly!!

Trys come & go, Grothes try will be in the highlights films for years to come.

Even though Parra lost the game, the try is still the most rememberd part of it, says it all.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Mr Saab said:
Grothe easy.

You'll find that Grothe Snr was about 10kg heavy though...and even though Grothe Jnr has a wonderful fend, i think you'll find Grothes snr was more explosive.

Latest posts