What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Try replays with music in the background.......

Brutus

Referee
Anyone know the music the ABC used for their Saturday arvo match try replays circa 86-88.

It was real 80's sounding with a guitar riff and fake trumpety keyboard sound.

Touchdown by Frank McDonald and Terry Devine-King was used as try music by the ABC in 1990, in addition to the intro to Channel 10's coverage of the Commenwealth Bank Cup in 1989 and 1990.

okay

Juniors
Thanks to everyone for the try replay music info, especially WillKav for the track titles, and davi for starting the thread. I thought Ten's use of music during their coverage was fantastic, with some of the best use of music in sports tv coverage alltime, and executive producer and director Alan Catt did a great job showcasing the sport. The music tracks they used really were perfect, as those particular tracks really added a huge amount of energy/atmosphere/drama to the audio/visual experience of watching a match. I was such a big fan of the try replay music up until 1990, then I was so disappointed they changed the music in 1991, then when Ten lost the rights the following year the coverage was stripped of that vintage vibe. Graeme Hughes was great, and I think its a shame he hasnt commentated more since 91. His calls of 1989 grand final and first 2 tests of 1990 Kangaroo Tour I thought were really special, during matches of such incredible atmosphere. Bill Anderson was an awesome analyst/sideline eye.

Ten also used commercial well known tunes such as 'On The Edge Of A Dream' by Joe Cocker for 1989 and 1990 grand final day coverage, as outros into ad breaks. At half time of 1990 grand final leading into the ad break, they had a graphic ON THE EDGE OF A DREAM with the tune playing, and they often mentioned this line as the theme of the day. Before kickoff in 1989 grand final, Graeme Hughes said, "they are on the edge of a dream, the Tigers today."

Remembering the 2GB Peter Peters/Greg Hartley coverage around 1989, a few minutes before kickoff they played music to intro the match of the day 3pm Saturday or Sunday kickoff, and it set the scene as 'game time'. Was it the first 45 seconds instrumental of Eye Of The Tiger by Survivor(with Peter Peters talking over it and it faded down before the songs vocals start)? If not it was something similar that really pumped me up as a young kid. Can anyone confirm the use of this track late 80s on 2GB just before Hollywood & Zorba started their call of a match, or was it something else?

The Ray Hadley/John Gibbs continuous call in the late 80s to mid 90s I remember had a very catchy try replay theme when Gibbs would call the replay, and I think a similar type of style to The Chase by Craig Palmer. Anyone remember this?

Now, to the 3 tracks used by Ten mid 80s until 1990 that we are not sure about that WillKav refers to above - we need to find them! All 3 are in this video -

The first track we need to find was used as try replay music mid 80s to 1990 but also as the intro to the NEC Big Game in 1985, a 40 second extended use of it in the video above before Ray Warren starts talking but it has crowd effects underneath. It reminds me of the style of Nick Ingman who did the Nines Wide World Of Sports show theme(Giants Causeway), and also reminds me of the style of Brian Bennett, who composed the track used by Nine for their cricket coverage(New Horizons). Also reminds me a bit of Theme For The Common Man by Emerson, Lake & Palmer.

2nd track we need to find is at 23 minute mark of the video I linked to, and sounds similar in style to Craig Palmer.

3rd track we need to find is at 36 minute 30 seconds mark of the video I linked to and again sounds similar in style to Craig Palmer.

There is also a track in that video at 32 minute mark which I dont remember at all and not sure how often it was used after 1985.

okay

Juniors
A few intros from late 80s -

The Channel Ten Monday Night Football intro from 1986 "Mondays Nights Under Lights"

The Channel Ten Friday Night Football intro from 1988 when they went to Fridays instead of Mondays in the 2nd half of the season using a version of The Easybeats Friday On My Mind, with different football themed lyrics, theres 2 videos in that twitter thread, the first video is the main intro, the second video is the mostly instrumental version used in closing montage and end credits
twitter thread-
twitter .com/ajl247/status/1271292387319353344
and twitter .com/ajl247/status/1271292389638823936
(remove space before .com)

The Channel Ten Friday Night Football intro from 1989

okay

Juniors
Some good use of music for tries in rugby union internationals in early 2000s by Channel 7:

anyone know what this tune is at 5 minutes 40 seconds?

They also used an instrumental version of Underneath The Radar by Underworld for their intro and also try replay music in one season I think in early to mid 2000s.

Last edited:

davi

Juniors
Here's a clip of the ABC try replay with back ground music in 1992 below. Interestingly I found a clip nearing the end of ABC's tenure televising Rugby League in 1993 where there was no background music. The ABC it would seem followed it's commercial competitors cues to drop the background music. But I located another clip where they brought it back in their last year televising NSWRL in 1995 with a techno style music.

ABC coverage ended in 1995 after a long tenure televising rugby league. I presume the reason was NINE would have insisted in negotiations with Rugby League administrators they were dropped. They were providing coverage to the Grand Final ad breaks free which would have hit Nine in the ratings. Sponsors would have not like ABC coverage either. ABC commentators/graphics from its charter can only refer to it as the 'NRL' premiership rather then the 'Telstra' premiership.

Last edited:

okay

Juniors
WillKav the 3 tracks from 1985-1990 we still dont have the track id's for ive been told by universal music in usa and australia those tracks arent universal music group tracks(network music/network music ensemble catalogue that began in I think 1979 was bought by bmg in 2001, then they were bought by universal music in 2006) so that appears to rule craig palmer out as composer for those 3 tracks.

Theres a site thats all about production music and has a section where people can ask for tracks to be given an id...i just joined the site but still waiting to be verified...im hoping that could be a way to find those 3 classic try replay tunes...the tracks at 0min0sec(1985 nec big game intro theme + 1985-1990 try replay tune) & 23min0sec (1985-1990 try replay tune) & 36min30sec (1985-1990 try replay tune) in the 1985 balmain v easts video above...im less interested in the track at 32min0sec but will still try to find it anyway.

im surprised particularly nobody has ever found out the track id of the nec big game 1985 intro theme.

Monday Roast

Juniors
WillKav the 3 tracks from 1985-1990 we still dont have the track id's for ive been told by universal music in usa and australia those tracks arent universal music group tracks(network music/network music ensemble catalogue that began in I think 1979 was bought by bmg in 2001, then they were bought by universal music in 2006) so that appears to rule craig palmer out as composer for those 3 tracks.

Theres a site thats all about production music and has a section where people can ask for tracks to be given an id...i just joined the site but still waiting to be verified...im hoping that could be a way to find those 3 classic try replay tunes...the tracks at 0min0sec(1985 nec big game intro theme + 1985-1990 try replay tune) & 23min0sec (1985-1990 try replay tune) & 36min30sec (1985-1990 try replay tune) in the 1985 balmain v easts video above...im less interested in the track at 32min0sec but will still try to find it anyway.

im surprised particularly nobody has ever found out the track id of the nec big game 1985 intro theme.

Any luck with any of these? All iconic pieces from the time (except the 32 minutes one, as you say)

okay

Juniors
Any luck with any of these? All iconic pieces from the time (except the 32 minutes one, as you say)

no luck yet...ive contacted network ten - no response...ive contacted universal music usa & australia - they say the tracks arent in their catalogue...ive tried a production music website to ask for ID - no response

someone has to know who composed those 3 amazing tunes

what other places could help with this? maybe the site mediaspy, where there is a tv history section, perhaps someone may know at that site?

ive just created a mediaspy account and posed the question here...
https://forums.mediaspy.org/t/sports-broadcasting-history/9762/287

Last edited:

okay

Juniors
i really dont think shazam would have those kind of production music tracks in its database, especially being so old

Monday Roast

Juniors
Maybe use the Shazam app? That may help, I dunno...

I tried Shazam, no luck with the pieces mentioned in Balmain-Roosters 1985 game.

However, success with the old mid-70s ABC footy opening theme: this is Sports Fanfares by Gerhard Narholz. It helped this song was re-released on an album in 2020

roofromoz

First Grade
Not try music, but the ABC used this in 1997 when they broadcasted a Sunday Super League game:

okay

Juniors
so the video i linked to in my jan 19, 2021 post near the top of page 3 of this thread re the 3 try replay tunes we cant find has been made a private video by the youtube poster so here is a new vid showcasing the 3 tunes of network ten nswrl coverage with timecodes we cant find track id for...

nec big game 1985 and 1986 season + try replay music 1985 to 1990 seasons...
at 0 mins 0 secs of the st george v balmain video

try replay music 1985 to 1990 seasons...
at 7 mins 3 secs of the st george v balmain video

try replay music 1985 to 1990 seasons...
at 25 mins 2 secs of the st george v balmain video

in addition to all the places ive tried in my above posts in an attempt to get the music track id's, i also contacted the nrl, who initially replied to my email to get the link to a video of the music tracks, but they didnt reply to me after 2 further emails i sent them

Last edited: