What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TV Deal Announced

Perth Red

Post Whore
Ok so step one is now out of the way. TV deal is signed and $1bill is in the bank. What does this mean for expansion? Well disappointing that expansion wasn;t included in the deal but I guess that might have been hoping for too much! Way I see it the NRL now has the money to expand when and where it wants. If the 9th game and location were not part of the TV deal (may have been but not yet announced) then it really becomes a free for all.

Ch9 getting the rights probably leans towards a brisbane2 team for teh live friday night Broncos mix up and teh desire for a live Sunday night game gives support to a Perth team in that time slot.

Hopefully we will hear alot more about expansion over the coming weeks.

The deal doesn't include a 9th game and it was said that the current new deal leave little for set up costs or long term sustainability to any new franchises as quoted by Grant himself. Are 9 going to pay the extra $100m for a new Brisbane team now considering its quite obvious by Gyngell's body language that they already paid more than they intended too to keep the rights? He mentioned a few times about the NSW North Coast being owned by NBN.. the same NBN that have plunged money into the Central Coast Bears..

Are FOXTEL prepared to pay extra for set up costs and sustainability into a WA franchise? To be honest, judging by Gyngell's answer to the Broncos being on channel 9 and continuing to be I don't think 9 are gonna pay for an extra SELD side now. While Foxtel might still invest in a WA side, I also think their commitment has waned. The low set up cost and self sustainable bids have suddenly, in my opinion, started looking real good to the TV execs as it means less money to invest but still getting some sort of revenue.

Perth Red

Post Whore
TV won't be doing any investing it will be the ARLC who has the cash to splash. They will spend it with a long term, strategic goal in mind. There was no mention of expansion in this deal, doesn;t mean it wasn't discussed as part of it. Ch9 will continue to predominantly show Broncos on a Fri night, I am sure they would like to mix it up (as would the fans!). Sudnay night is part of the deal and it has been stated a couple of times in recent months about Perth being the ideal spot for that game and that they are going to run three games here next year with that in mind.

I think with no direct link to expansion yet announced from the TV deal or expectations of TV stations as part of the deal it does open it right up again. Or worse case scenario it closes it right down with no expansion for next 5 years!

I've been saying for years that TV rights money wouldn't be able to sustain new franchises in the long term and I was partially correct. Even the deal that's been currently done doesn't have enough size to set up a high risk project, regardless of where it's situated on the map. Low set up cost and self sustainable would be clubs are quite clearly the way forward.

Quidgybo

Bench
With no mention of provision for a ninth game in the deal, perhaps it means the ARLC are free to go back to the market for 2015-2017 to sell a ninth game. Could pull in another $60m or so over 3 years.

Leigh.

age.s

First Grade
With no mention of provision for a ninth game in the deal, perhaps it means the ARLC are free to go back to the market for 2015-2017 to sell a ninth game. Could pull in another $60m or so over 3 years.

Leigh.

Came here to post exactly this. Fingers crossed.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Nonsense, this deal gives the NRL more than enough $'s to introduce expansion teams and offer development funding if needed. Even if they up the club grant to $7mill (which I doubt they will) it will still leave over $150mill ayear for the ARLC to play with.

Perth Red

Post Whore

Leigh.

That deal would have to have been done now so teams could be announced this year for inclusion in the 2015 comp.

NrlCoach

Juniors
RIP Expansion until the next deal. ARLC will probable use expansion in the next tv deal to get more $$$$$$

applesauce

Bench
John Grant said in the conference that a 9th game added little to the TV deal, which is why they didn't included it.

The expansion of the NRL will not happen until the year before the end of the new TV deal at best, 1 team in the last year and the 2nd for the first year of the 2017 deal to make a 9th game.

Sorry guys. At least the comp will be strong enough for 2 teams without skipping a beat.

Perth Red

Post Whore
and yet people keep going on about the 9th game in AFL being why it got more money?

How can a TV programme that will guarantee viewers once a week for 26 weeks not be worth any money? There is only one Live FTA game in this deal, a second through a 9th game MUST be worth something?

I have a horrible feeling they will put expansion on hold yet again and look to 2018. Even if they do that they will still need to announce expansion and teams in 2016 to give them chance to build a club for 2018 or we are back to square one with the same scenario we had in 2011 and now.

Whatever happens I really really hope they don't let all the hard work go to waste and throw some $'s at growing the game in expansion areas.

docbrown

Coach
John Grant said in the conference that a 9th game added little to the TV deal, which is why they didn't included it.

Yes but he also didn't say who gets it if a 9th game comes in prior to the end of this deal.

If its worth nothing, then it should mean nothing to Fox Sports if it gets aired on 9... however both you and I know, if a 9th game comes in, Fox Sports wouldn't let it air on 9 without a stink up.

I'm not going to speculate further on it but someone needs to ask the ARLC about this and get some clarity on the issue.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'd be surprised if they have thought that far ahead tbh. i can imagine they would have asked if anyone wanted a ninth game and what it would be worth, they would have got a reply that not really and we don't want to pay more than we have to. ARLC shrugs its shoulders and signs up for the same old same old. Time for expansion announcement was in 2011 for a 2013 launch of a 9th game and the TV companies told how much it would cost them. AFL pulled it off, we till have little faith in our product to demand things.

AFL used their impending TV deal and the wleath of the last TV deal to expand their game into new areas through aggressive expansion. Anyone believe that RL has the same koohunas to do the same? I don't.

If they did they would be announcing teh succesful expansion areas during this deal, growing those clubs over the coming years and launching them into the NRL around 2016 ready to maximise the value of a 9th game in 2018.

typicalfan

Coach
I might be a little greedy but would have loved a FTA Saturday night and Sunday night game. A little opportunity to make life a little more difficult for the opposition. I hate that AFL runs unopposed on FTA on Saturday Nights. Gives teams a leg up.

I am happy with the money though, the clubs have been crying out for funds for a while and now they have it.

franklin2323

Immortal
Doc's right. What if we had it set in the contract 2 teams need to come in 2015. Yet only 1 is right to go? This way they can get staggered if they want.

typicalfan

Coach
Sunday Night could be a little test of the water to see if it works. Perth would no doubt suit that timeslot.

docbrown

Coach
I'd be surprised if they have thought that far ahead tbh. i can imagine they would have asked if anyone wanted a ninth game and what it would be worth, they would have got a reply that not really and we don't want to pay more than we have to. ARLC shrugs its shoulders and signs up for the same old same old. Time for expansion announcement was in 2011 for a 2013 launch of a 9th game and the TV companies told how much it would cost them. AFL pulled it off, we till have little faith in our product to demand things.

AFL used their impending TV deal and the wleath of the last TV deal to expand their game into new areas through aggressive expansion. Anyone believe that RL has the same koohunas to do the same? I don't.

If they did they would be announcing teh succesful expansion areas during this deal, growing those clubs over the coming years and launching them into the NRL around 2016 ready to maximise the value of a 9th game in 2018.

Well we will see. Expansion is the next big question.

But the fact remains - legally - if the NRL expands to have a 9th game in 2015 or 2016 or 2017 - does 9 get it or Fox Sports...

At the moment they're saying it has no value but you can bet that when if this scenario happens and there's no clarity on the issue that there will be a fight for it.

If the NRL does not grow in the next five years it will be a disgraceful failure by the ARLC. Grant bangs on about growing the game, but without actual growth in the competition all this deal does is inflate players' bank balances.

docbrown

Coach
If the NRL does not grow in the next five years it will be a disgraceful failure by the ARLC. Grant bangs on about growing the game, but without actual growth in the competition all this deal does is inflate players' bank balances.

Honestly after some of the more ridiculous comments about the ARLC today, I'm going to reserve judgment until 2017.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Here's an idea bring two teams in 2015, offer the ninth game to the highest bidder, if no one takes it GIVE it to the ABC under the condition it must live nationally on a Sunday 5pm!

Latest posts