What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TV Deal Announced

docbrown

Coach
Yeah yeah. So because you were wrong all along and all your little bum chums aren't pissing in your pocket anymore you resort to name calling. Shown up. "but but but it said in the paper..." Is that where you get your insider knowledge?

You're like talking to a brickwall. When I first said that 7 & 10 were going to bid idiots like yourself didn't believe me. Now that they have bid and it's a matter of public record you still don't believe that they bid just because they didn't win.

You sir are indeed a genius. :lol:

Parra

Referee
But at least now that the first and last clause has been removed, you wont have anything to whinge about the next time...

These rights would have died in 2017 in any case. Hence the observation.

You don't have to toe the corporate line all the time BR. You can think for yourself and it is not whinging. Have a go at it.

You're like talking to a brickwall. When I first said that 7 & 10 were going to bid idiots like yourself didn't believe me. Now that they have bid and it's a matter of public record you still don't believe that they bid just because they didn't win.

You sir are indeed a genius. :lol:
Where did I say 7 and 10 weren't going to bid? You're just trying to deflect the fact that you were totally wrong all along and after big-noting yourself about your insider info you can't admit it was all bullshit. And to top it off you add name calling and the old :lol: which just proves you've got nothing. On top of that you're now saying expansion hasn't been shelved, but every single piece of evidence suggests otherwise, including direct quotes from people who are actually involved. Not big-noting nobodies who claim to know, people who actually know. But you ignore that because it just shows once again that you don't know anything.

BuffaloRules

Coach
These rights would have died in 2017 in any case. Hence the observation.

You don't have to toe the corporate line all the time BR. You can think for yourself and it is not whinging. Have a go at it.

Why would the rights have 'died" in 2017 when News had the rights to 2027?

Parra

Referee
Why would the rights have 'died" in 2017 when News had the rights to 2027?

Read my original comment. If the News were compelled to keep their end of the NRL deal then the rights expired in 2017. The only reason they were extended to 2027 was because this was a condition that News Ltd insisted on when they broke the NRL deal. Weird, I know.

Good thing is that the rights are gone. In 2017, as they would have been anyway.

Makes you wonder what the rush to exit the NRL partnership was all about.

Quidgybo

Bench
Read my original comment. If the News were compelled to keep their end of the NRL deal then the rights expired in 2017. The only reason they were extended to 2027 was because this was a condition that News Ltd insisted on when they broke the NRL deal. Weird, I know.

Good thing is that the rights are gone. In 2017, as they would have been anyway.

Makes you wonder what the rush to exit the NRL partnership was all about.
Perhaps ensuring that News wasn't on both sides of the table during the negotiation of this record deal? Perhaps ensuring that News wasn't making up half our boardroom and wielding veto power for another five years? Both those are pretty compelling reasons for the change in and of themselves.

Leigh.

BunniesMan

Immortal
New teams won't be let in until this deal is finished. I'd put my money on 2018. Existing clubs will want a 16th of this deal, not a 17th or 18th. With the next deal you'll see new clubs.

Team #17 -2018
Team #18 -2019

Knightmare

Coach
Came here to post exactly this. Fingers crossed.

At least if this is the case (e.g no expansion until the NEXT TV deal) it gives clubs like Cronulla and Gold Coast the chance to stabilise themselves financially. There is also the added promise that when expansion bids are called to present themselves, the ARLC will be making decisions based on which bids are the best ones in their own right (sponsorship, facilities, fanbase potential revenue, abililty to financially support themselves) rather than just allowing some hastily thrown together $2 shelf companies to enter the comp because a TV network wants it.

Wally could give a speech to the networks about how the ARLC will be the ones to dictate terms, and damn right if he didn't do a brilliant job of it!

Last edited:

BuffaloRules

Coach
There could be ONE additional team that comes in say in 2016 and we go back to having a bye..

The second team could come in for 2018 creating the additional game in time for the next TV deal

At least staggering the entry of the teams into the comp means that the impact on the player market is not as severe, and gives one of the teams a chance to improve so the comp doesnt have two easy beat teams coming in at the same time disrupting the draw as badly ( ala AFL)...

docbrown

Coach
Where did I say 7 and 10 weren't going to bid? You're just trying to deflect the fact that you were totally wrong all along and after big-noting yourself about your insider info you can't admit it was all bullshit.

Channel 10 bid for all 8 games just like I said they would. Read the Fin you ignorant hick. :lol:

Parra

Referee
Maybe the way the game was screwed during the last TV deal had something to do with it...:sarcasm:

Maybe news ltd had other reasons. Seems more plausible with the concessions they got to exit. Was 2027 ever a real date, or just a red herring that could be negotiated away to make people feel good?

Perth Red

Post Whore
The indicators are there will be no expansion but I am not so sure we aren't going to see something a bit out of left field on this. All the talk leading up to now has been [pro expansion, especially with perth.

If it is not a def no then I forcast a possible GC scenario. They announce now there will be no expansion but that they will target the development of the game in WA, then next year they invite the WARL to put forward the WC Pirates for inclusion in 2016. There has been a lot of RL money invested in WA in the last few years from the NRL/ARL and a lot of work done with the WA govt around stadiuj upgardes and grass rots support for the game. I find it hard to believe they are just going to cast that aside so some desperate chairmen can have a couple of hundred grand each extra on their bottom line.

Greenburg is just talking from his perspective and I wouldn't expect the Turkeys to be voting for Christmas in this scenario.

I am not sure, but did the NRL / ARLC ever ask Central Coast, Central Qld, Brisbane Bombers, Western Corridor, PNG or Perth to prepare expansion packages at great cost and get out there spruiking their credentials?

Stop the hand wringing, stop the bleating and keep on dreaming (for the moment).

There are 16 teams in the current NRL. Let's get them all strong, and if they can't, time to cull or relocate boys and girls.

Sure, I'd love to see Perth, Central Qld, Central Coast and Brisbane 2 in the comp. But if the money isn't there, too bad, so sad. Rather stabilise what we have, and then look for more.

The last team we admitted has had it's ups and downs, and they're located in QLD, smack bang in RL heartland.

Channel 10 bid for all 8 games just like I said they would. Read the Fin you ignorant hick. :lol:
No shit they did. It was all through the media. Didn't stop you big-noting yourself that you knew more than anyone else. So in summary you knew nothing more than was already public knowledge. And now that you have been shown up you're calling people names to deflect any attention that might come your way in relation to your getting it all wrong. It is quite clear that you thought you had some kind of isnide info on what was going to happen but all you had was some dodgy info from someone at Ten about what they MIGHT do and nothing more. The rest was in the media already. And then hypicritically you don't want anyone to suggest that they have shelved expansion, even though this very fact has been mentioned in the very same media you try to use as some kind of vindication of yourself. So you point to the media when it suits but ignore it when it doesn't. That's called hypocrisy.

And then you call me ignorant. Pots and kettles. And as for "hick", well I guess that's some kind of derogatory remark aimed at people from the bush. Pretty f**king pathetic and quite offensive, but typical really. Rather in-keeping with your massively over-inflated opinion of yourself.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I am not sure, but did the NRL / ARLC ever ask Central Coast, Central Qld, Brisbane Bombers, Western Corridor, PNG or Perth to prepare expansion packages at great cost and get out there spruiking their credentials?

Stop the hand wringing, stop the bleating and keep on dreaming (for the moment).

No but at no point have they ever said there will be no expansion stop wasting your time. In fact every time we have had a game in Perth someone from the NRL has come along and said how great it is the game is growing here and that we will have a NRL team one day. Acting CEO was the latest just a few weeks ago. The other point is the NRL told the WARL a few years ago that we should be preparing our jnr programmes ready for NRL inclusion hence the creation of our Elite academy, secondary schools comp and SG Ball side. Bit unethical to be leading the WA fans and WARL by the nose if they have no intention of expanding the game anytime soon wouldn't you say?

No but at no point have they ever said there will be no expansion stop wasting your time. In fact every time we have had a game in Perth someone from the NRL has come along and said how great it is the game is growing here and that we will have a NRL team one day. Acting CEO was the latest just a few weeks ago. The other point is the NRL told the WARL a few years ago that we should be preparing our jnr programmes ready for NRL inclusion hence the creation of our Elite academy, secondary schools comp and SG Ball side. Bit unethical to be leading the WA fans and WARL by the nose if they have no intention of expanding the game anytime soon wouldn't you say?

If that truly is the case, that is terrible from the NRL ( the Perth bit).

I happen to support expansion - I buy the shirts, stickers, flags of any bid club I can lay my hands on, and become a member. But I have to say, some of the chatter, esp on Facebook is sour now.

Either way, the NRL has not said anything publicly - behind the scenes might be different. So might be time for some honesty from the NRL. But I don't want to hear bid teams rubbishing the NRL.

As much as I hate the word, I'd like to see the ARLC's 5, 10, 25 and 50 year 'vision' or blueprint for the game.

docbrown

Coach
No shit they did. It was all through the media. Didn't stop you big-noting yourself that you knew more than anyone else. So in summary you knew nothing more than was already public knowledge. And now that you have been shown up you're calling people names to deflect any attention that might come your way in relation to your getting it all wrong. It is quite clear that you thought you had some kind of isnide info on what was going to happen but all you had was some dodgy info from someone at Ten about what they MIGHT do and nothing more. The rest was in the media already. And then hypicritically you don't want anyone to suggest that they have shelved expansion, even though this very fact has been mentioned in the very same media you try to use as some kind of vindication of yourself. So you point to the media when it suits but ignore it when it doesn't. That's called hypocrisy.

And then you call me ignorant. Pots and kettles. And as for "hick", well I guess that's some kind of derogatory remark aimed at people from the bush. Pretty f**king pathetic and quite offensive, but typical really. Rather in-keeping with your massively over-inflated opinion of yourself.

Have a big old f**king cry about it. You have no understanding of how the process even works so why would anybody expect you to have anything intelligent to say about it. :lol:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Totally agree and TBH I can live (just!) with not having an NRL team now in Perth as long as they are very honest and clear about if and when we will get one and also as long as they up the funding to the WARL to really keep building on the momentum we have generated for the game over the last 5 years. A strategic plan for the game in each state that involves the NRL and the affiliated state body with funding from the ARLC would be very nice to see not just for us but for all game growth areas.

gyallop

Juniors
The bids were actively encouraged by the NRL. There were meetings updates reviews etc that the NRL was part of. Other than CC who have been banging the drum for some time , the others just didnt wake up one day and decide to joing the marching band.
The NRL thought to match the AFL deal that it may need more content and let it be known that expansion was an option. The tender was rumoured to be with 16 games and with 18 games which is reflected in Grants comment that expansion didnt add much.
Sure the NRL publicly said expansion wasnt assured but do you think some smart people would put up some serious coin and time if they werent told something else privately.
It seems to me that the NRL ( and then the ARLC to some extent) has used the bid teams to potentially maximise the deal and having got a deal close to AFL ( who tip 40m a year into their expansion) without a 9th game are happy to say thank you for your interest but goodbye.

Latest posts