What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TV Deal Announced

Have a big old f**king cry about it. You have no understanding of how the process even works so why would anybody expect you to have anything intelligent to say about it. :lol:
Oh and you do know I'll bet. Or you'll say you do. That's what you do a lot of, telling everyone how much you know. Only problem is you know f**k all. As has been proved. You see the thing about big-noting yourself is when you are proved wrong you're supposed to stop being an arrogant merkin. Supposed to.

Perth Red

Post Whore
IT WAS a simple nod of the head by Channel Nine boss David Gyngell that quickly made it clear expansion was not about to happen in the NRL any time soon.
Despite long-running and spirited campaigns by the Central Coast, Brisbane Bombers Central Queensland and two Perth franchises to be included as the 17th team, Gyngell and ARLC chairman John Grant made it clear they would not see a single dollar from the latest TV deal.
Gyngell said the value in the AFL's ninth game - as a result of the introduction of the Gold Coast and GWS to form an 18-team competition - was "disputable at the moment". And Grant added the TV rights holder was always going to have a say on expansion.
"The proof of this deal is there's not a lot of value placed on that ninth game," said Grant, as Gyngell sat nearby and nodded.
"That doesn't necessarily negate the expansion opportunities, but it certainly forces us to put much more rigour around it in terms of financial analysis and long-term sustainability. Our first commitment is to our existing clubs, and that's where it sits and what we'll work with first."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/n...cast-rights-deal/story-e6frfgbo-1226455270464

Where there's life there's hope!

Perth Red

Post Whore
QUEENSLAND'S three bid teams still cling to hope of an NRL breakthrough despite rugby league expansion being effectively killed yesterday with the signing of a $1.025 billion television deal for a 16-team competition.
"The proof of this deal is there is not a lot of value placed on that ninth game," Grant said. "That doesn't necessarily negate expansion ... but it forces us to put much more rigour around that in terms of financial analysis and long-term sustainability remembering that our first commitment is to existing clubs.
http://digitalpass.heraldsun.com.au...49x181_learnmore_v1&sourceCode=HSWEB_MPL121_b

"That is where it sits and what we will work on first. We have not even considered it. That is one of things we consider when we look at opportunity for growth in the strategic plan that we roll out."

Bombers boss Craig Davison said there was no reason to think the competition couldn't expand to 17 teams.
"I believe there's potential for one more team, and one more team only, and having a bye every week," Davison said.
"I'd like to think potentially it will happen sooner rather than later."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/n...-despite-tv-deal/story-e6frfgbo-1226455301817

First Grade
Greenberg said rugby league had "more blue sky ahead of it than any other sport" but admitted NRL expansion past the current 16 clubs will not happen under the new agreement.
"In the next five years it is about a national footprint, playing games in new markets and developing new markets rather than adding new teams," he said.
"At the moment almost every club is making a significant loss.
"Adding new teams to that is increasing that volume.
"Let's get the sustainability of our clubs right first, make sure we pay our players appropriately and then let's add to it after that."

Quidgybo

Bench
Greenberg speaks for Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs, not the ARLC. Keep searching for that horse.

Leigh.

Last edited:

dimitri

First Grade
think they should seriously look to add 2 teams now from 2018

do all yoru research, develop the possible markets,

put lots of cash in all junior development, including in those possible markets

add two teams for 2018

if nine dont want to televise the extra game - give 7 or 10, one game a week

eg if ten is already televising the game plan, im sure theyd throw some money at 1 game a week

marlene w 1

Juniors
Nonsense, this deal gives the NRL more than enough $'s to introduce expansion teams and offer development funding if needed. Even if they up the club grant to $7mill (which I doubt they will) it will still leave over $150mill ayear for the ARLC to play with.

That's more than enough for 2 teams.

bobmar28

Bench
So the billion dollar windfall is to be used to prop up struggling clubs in the overcrowded Sydney market rather than expand the game to the rest of Australia?

Shouldn't this be about creating a truly "National" Rugby League?

Perth Red

Post Whore
lol, they seem to have forgotten about actually growing the game. One glimmer of hope is that in Grant's speech he did say that any expansion plans would be in light of the strategic direction document for the game. Guess we will have to continue to be strung along for a bit longer.

ona2001

Juniors
What I want to see in terms of the money earmarked for existing clubs are *very* stringent rules set by the ARLC regarding how the clubs plan to spend the money, regular audits and provision of evidence of where it is actually being spent and how each clubs is growing and promoting the game on the commissions' behalf, up to and including appointing administrators or reassessement of licence for clubs who are not meeting the grade. The professional responsibility this deal now demands must include a revolution in how NRL clubs are administered - no more protracted property deals, board junkets or "sponsorship nights" for local business mates.

Expansion beyond 16 teams has rightly been seen as something to consider after the game's new footing ahas settled first, but no bid with suitable credentials should have to wait on the sidelines if they can provide more to the game's value than an incumbent.

clarency

Juniors
At least now Adelaide is on the table.

jim-carrey-dumb-dumber-c10102378-jpeg.jpg

flippikat

Bench
There are 16 teams in the current NRL. Let's get them all strong, and if they can't, time to cull or relocate boys and girls.

And I think that this is the crux of the deal, regarding expansion.

All clubs are on notice - take this money, but use it wisely.

Because if you don't & you're still weak towards the end of this deal then maybe you need to look at relocation, merging, or extinction.

Billythekid

First Grade
I'm glad we got the billion and there are some good parts of the deal but this is so disappointing re expansion. I'm also annoyed that the AFL got so much extra money adding 2 teams no one wanted but when we want to add 2 teams with lots of demand it's supposed to lose money....

Such a massive downer.

Pugzley

Looking forward to the day when merkins nine and fox have no input on how we run our game.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Just one amongst many. Watching the penrith game at he moment and shaking my head that Perth can't have a team yet the Arlc is happy to throw money at clubs that are drawing 7k fans to keep them afloat.

Just one amongst many. Watching the penrith game at he moment and shaking my head that Perth can't have a team yet the Arlc is happy to throw money at clubs that are drawing 7k fans to keep them afloat.

Penrith have a massive pool of juniors. They've had a bad season, well a few actually but what they offer the game can't be underestimated as it may well be that when Perth does get its team it'll undoubtably have a fair few players who grew up playing in Penrith.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Fkn Sharks holding it all back

I read somewhere that minimum staffing levels were expected at all clubs, and the sharks are one of the clubs that will be most impacted by this. It's good to see ARLC ensuring that the expectation is that all clubs have a duty to the game to promote it well and run it professionally, rather than run a club on the smell of an oily rag. One of the key parts was a dedicated media manager, which should see better community engagement, even if the club gives that person little capital to work with.

LJC

Juniors
Don't think think the "why them not us " argument is a good idea!

Better to concentrate on the obvious benefits to the rugby league of additional teams. And yes, I believe their is room for at least 20 in this sports loving nation of ours.

Come to think of it, the league had 20 teams in 1995 and the game was going extremely well then, and then Super league stuffed it!

Perhaps their is someone out there trying to limit the growth of RL. It has definitley happened on an international level yet this is not common knowleddge.

If it were common knowledge, I guarantee that people ,who have a passing interest in RL, would understand the forces at play against this wonderfull and underated sport! Their would be an avalanche of public support for the game, but, at as yet we know of the repression stories (France,Sth Africa,Ireland etc) but the general public does not!

Perhaps telling the general public what RU has been doing to RL behind the scenes is a worthy tact?!

Till then, the general public will no know!

I have spoken to some fellow students and they are amazed at what went on in France! Their perception of the game of RU has changed along with a better understanding of what the challenges RL as a code faces and has faced!

Last edited:

Latest posts