What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tv Ratings For Gf

Billythekid

First Grade
robyalvaro said:
Souths vs Roosters would be huge, 4 million would be broken easily.

I doubt it. You would most likely see a drop of like 400K at least in Melboune alone. Not to mention poor ratings in Queensland. The best rating grand final would almost certainly have to involve a team outside of NSW.

I also don't know why people are suggesting roosters grand finals would rate well. It isn't a hypothetical situation we just need to look at how their previous grand finals rated.
i very much doubt that any of their multiple grand finals rated as well as this years despite the fact that the most loathed Sydney team was involved.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Perth's figures not too bad all things considered. Would have been nice to break the 100,000. Well done to Ch9 for pushing out the news to show it live. i hope this exceeded their expectations and they persist with more live games next season.

Ziggy the God

First Grade
Billythekid said:
I doubt it. You would most likely see a drop of like 400K at least in Melboune alone. Not to mention poor ratings in Queensland. The best rating grand final would almost certainly have to involve a team outside of NSW.

I also don't know why people are suggesting roosters grand finals would rate well. It isn't a hypothetical situation we just need to look at how their previous grand finals rated.
i very much doubt that any of their multiple grand finals rated as well as this years despite the fact that the most loathed Sydney team was involved.

At least a Souths vs Easts GF would have some promotion leading up to the game, unlike the guff dished up over the past few years.

yobbo84

Coach
IMO a Rabbitohs v Dragons Grand Final would be the highest rating GF possible. Probably the 2 largest supporter bases in the NRL, both with a wide geographic spread through Australia. The hype during GF week would be astronomical.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
How can two suburbs, less than 20km from Moore Park be considered the biggest drawcard in the "NATIONAL" rugby league ?

There is no way a GF with two Sydney clubs would be our biggest drawcard nationally.

Broncos v Melb last year creamed anything before it and it's much higher than this years.

I stand corrected.

I think it was the overall closeness to the AFL national ratings that I was thinking of.

We were a struck match behind them in 2006.

And ahead in 2007...

BuffaloRules

Coach
The Sydney ratings for the Tigers GF in 2005 were something like 350k higher then the GF of 2006...

I have heard Rabs Warren say several times on his MMM radio show that the Tiges are consistently the highest ratings perfomers for Channel 9 NRL television games in terms of Sydney ratings..

Thats why they get so many FTA games, even when they are going ordinary ( like this year...)...

Lego_Man

First Grade
Dont forget that the game probably drew ~150,000 in NZ (thats a wild guess, could have been more or less) in an unfavourable timeslot.

As a guide I supposed the figures are good but how seriously can we judge them when one final was held during the day and the other at night. I'm sure nine thinks it makes a difference. During the day there are probably more BBQ's with more people gathered around one TV compared to smaller gatherings at night. I know alot of league fans who stayed home alone to watch the GF because they couldn't be assed going out. I would like to see how the ratings compare if we ever go back (hopefully next year) to day time.

eelandia

Juniors
Babyface O'reilly said:
As a guide I supposed the figures are good but how seriously can we judge them when one final was held during the day and the other at night. I'm sure nine thinks it makes a difference. During the day there are probably more BBQ's with more people gathered around one TV compared to smaller gatherings at night. I know alot of league fans who stayed home alone to watch the GF because they couldn't be assed going out. I would like to see how the ratings compare if we ever go back (hopefully next year) to day time.

Conversely, there may be more people in pubs at night...or down the Corso at Manly. Having said that, many were at Geelong's home ground to watch it on the big screen. Essentially, you and I really have NFI.

Quote from Crikey.com today: "Regional viewers give NRL ratings bragging rights".

wittyfan

Referee
dragondad said:
What is the biggest ever draw in Australia for a sport match.

Opening Ceremony 2000?

The Opening Ceremony rated around 6 million.

The 2003 Rugby World Cup final got about 4 million.

eelandia said:
Conversely, there may be more people in pubs at night...or down the Corso at Manly. Having said that, many were at Geelong's home ground to watch it on the big screen. Essentially, you and I really have NFI.

Quote from Crikey.com today: "Regional viewers give NRL ratings bragging rights".

You're right I have NFI, just a personal theory which is why I never claimed what I wrote as fact. Having said that for years crowds have turned up at pubs and clubs during day GFs and on top of more people being gathered around one tele at more day time BBQs. I have not gone to one GF BBQ since they switched to night. No one has organised one at least from my tiny corner of the univers anyway.

Latest posts