What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tv Ratings For Gf

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
I think that a Souths GF would probably rate the highest in Sydney regardless of who we were playing. The interest would be huge because despite your attitude towards the club the majority of people that I run into have a soft spot for Souths. You all hate us because of egotistical wankers like myself that constantly shove our club down your throat and tell you how great we are (which we are). The press in Sydney would be massive to say the least.

As for nationally I'd love to see the figures for a Cows-Storm GF. I think that would rate the highest, or Tits-Storm if the Tits can make one in the next 2-3 years.

sherrinator

Juniors
Babyface O'reilly said:
You're right I have NFI, just a personal theory which is why I never claimed what I wrote as fact. Having said that for years crowds have turned up at pubs and clubs during day GFs and on top of more people being gathered around one tele at more day time BBQs. I have not gone to one GF BBQ since they switched to night. No one has organised one at least from my tiny corner of the univers anyway.

Who is going to get blotto with 40 other people at a pub or a barbeque at 9.00 on a sunday night?

kav

Juniors
Quidgybo said:
But not necessarily outside Sydney which is the point Collingwood Storm made. Any combination not including the Storm not only needs to be a strong drawer in its own right but rate well enough in Sydney and/or Brisbane to cover the loss of almost half a million viewers from the nation's second biggest television market. In the present competition, I really doubt you're going to see much more ratings potential than last year's Brisbane vs Melbourne match-up. With so many teams in the Sydney market and as a traditional RL city, supporters in that area have a history of still tuning into the match even as neutrals. Having one team from each of the next two biggest television markets, especially from one that does not have a traditional RL following, maxmises the potential ratings for the match. Having two teams from the same city does not. It provides a spike in that one market while losing significant ground in other major markets.

Leigh.

May be a Storm/Warriors final would top the ratings seeing you have 4m kiwis plus expats focussed on the one team.

Kav

Misty Bee

First Grade
I know the Eels/KNights GFof 01 attracted big crowds at each home venue, as well as Telstra.

I'd reckon a Sharks v Titans GF would outrate anything else. There would easily be 5 million tuine in to see:

a) The most unbelievable sporting outcome imaginable (Sharks win), or

b) Laugh at the Sharks for losing their first grand final since 1978 - to a pack of nuffies :lol:

Misty Bee

First Grade
Anyway, lets stop worrying abopt what team would get the most viewers to knock off AFL. Considering the game was shown to NZ, throughout the pacific, to the UK, US, Canada and China - even if it was shown at 3am - it would trounce AFL's entire combined broadcast history.

Well, Nationally I believe the NRL GF will finish close to 3.7 million.

2,389,000 OZTAM confirmed, 1,300,000 regionals yet to be confirmed.

AFL....

3,440,000 Total.

Confirmed.

Souths making the GF would pull in the biggest Sydney ratings by far IMO. EVERY league fan worth their salt would watch, not just bunnies supporters. And Melbourne would draw the biggest audience outside NSW in their respective cities.

Therefore a Souths vs Melbourne GF would be the combination for mine. The battling underdogs for so many years of trials & tribulations versus the premiership super-heavyweights. Russell Crowe would probably convince LA to screen it prime time too, followed by doco's, movie rights, boardgames etc etc

Ziggy the God

First Grade
Bring back John Fifita said:
Souths making the GF would pull in the biggest Sydney ratings by far IMO. EVERY league fan worth their salt would watch, not just bunnies supporters. And Melbourne would draw the biggest audience outside NSW in their respective cities.

Therefore a Souths vs Melbourne GF would be the combination for mine. The battling underdogs for so many years of trials & tribulations versus the premiership super-heavyweights. Russell Crowe would probably convince LA to screen it prime time too, followed by doco's, movie rights, boardgames etc etc

Get Russ and Waldron to have a 'go' at each other in the press for a week, and they will all tune in to see two teams take on each other due to the 'bad blood'. Too easy.

Perth Red

Post Whore
One things for sure, without the growing Victoria TV market we would be falling a long way behind AFL. People seem to forget this when they want to expand our game by adding more NSW or Q'land teams.

Canard

Immortal
hrundi99 said:
There are heaps of WT supporters in QLD.

Not saying there isn't but would you argue that they are the most supported team in QLD thats not from QLD?

I would strongly disagree with that.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Canard said:
Not saying there isn't but would you argue that they are the most supported team in QLD thats not from QLD?

I would strongly disagree with that.

They wouldn't be too far off the pace I reckon, they seem to be a team that attracts a lot of neutral supporters.

babyg

Juniors
Perth Red said:
One things for sure, without the growing Victoria TV market we would be falling a long way behind AFL. People seem to forget this when they want to expand our game by adding more NSW or Q'land teams.

That is so true. Hopefully the NRL can get its sht together and market the game right before the Storms dominance ends.

Manly fLIP

Juniors
S.S.T.I.D said:
I think that a Souths GF would probably rate the highest in Sydney regardless of who we were playing. The interest would be huge because despite your attitude towards the club the majority of people that I run into have a soft spot for Souths.

I'd rather run a marathon with a razor blade stuck in my ass crack than see your gloating piece of sh*t club make a grand final.

And as long as Souths think they own Rugby League, that will be my opinion.

mikdalton

Juniors
Misty Bee said:
Anyway, lets stop worrying abopt what team would get the most viewers to knock off AFL. Considering the game was shown to NZ, throughout the pacific, to the UK, US, Canada and China - even if it was shown at 3am - it would trounce AFL's entire combined broadcast history.

The UK viewing figures are small. The only history of it is a few years back it made the top 10 on Sky Sports 3 so we can see the figure and it was 33,000.

Since then it has moved to Setanta and much fewer people actually have this. I'd be suprised if it was 20,000 to be honest. Its on at an OK time, like 10.30am but you have to be a leaguie to know about it. I'd say 95% of those figures will be die hard league fans though, its not on the sort of channel where people would just have it on in the background. If it was shown primetime Sky Sports 1 it would do OK , because there is an interest over here. Its seen as the pinnacle of RL. Bear in mind that the Super league Grand Final is only watched by 350,000 or so.

Ziggy the God

First Grade
Manly fLIP said:
I'd rather run a marathon with a razor blade stuck in my ass crack than see your gloating piece of sh*t club make a grand final.

And as long as Souths think they own Rugby League, that will be my opinion.

Thanks Ken.

fourplay

Juniors
mikdalton said:
Bear in mind that the Super league Grand Final is only watched by 350,000 or so.

You sure..? I wouldn't think it would be that low.. Otherwise I don't see how a competition that only gets 350k viewers for the grandfinal could have a combined salary cap of about 20 million pounds?

I wouldn't bother with anything Dalton says, he's a spoon short of a cutlery set.

Someone would have posted it in the Ratings thread in TFC.

Latest posts