What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TV rights thread part 4

firechild

First Grade
Are you going to organize to send the Broncos a thank you cake for ensuring Channel 9 had to pay through the nose to broadcast our games and thus secure a larger grant to save your little club?

Happy Friday night viewing dear.

F**k off. If it wasn't for the Donkeys, News Ltd wouldn't have had the game by the balls for the last 15 years.

Frailty

First Grade
If it is true the ARLC should be sacked for not accepting $800m from Ten for 4 FTA games. A vastly superior offer. The could have easily sold the other games for 200 million. Declining it shows gross incompetence.

I retract any criticism I had of this deal. I apologise for my ignorance....

Ray Mosters

Juniors
Here's the story that will come out soon -

From everything that is known Ten/Fox vs 9/Fox were offering similar amounts of money per year but with 9/Fox slightly ahead on cash per year and 10 offering more F2A games.

The NRL were going to take less cash and go with 10. Legally though - as required by F&LR - they had to go back to 9 & Fox to inform them.

To stay in the game 9 & Fox conceded their future first & last rights - you can guess as to how much they're worth given that they've dictated every NRL broadcast deal thus far and limited growth - and as such also most likely changed their bid from the 6 year length first suggested to 5 years (as it was no longer required) - plus also offered at a guess about $21 million a year more to bring it up to the final amount.

NRL would've then told 10 & 7 that they had received a better offer but those networks would've then kept to their previous offers and not budged.

The NRL then had a choice to either go with 10 for less money and 1 extra F2A game or go with 9 & Fox with more money but less 1 F2A game.
That all sounds very plausible to me.

To me, the less money and amazing, transformative coverage deal is way, way better for the game, both now and in the long term. $200m is not be sniffed at and will do wonders but the difference would not have been anywhere near that much when you take into account the much greater sponsorship coming into the game from the better coverage, higher profile and stronger brand of the code. Its clearly a better deal.

I just really hope that there is some extenuating circumstances with the decision to go with Nine. Like the legal difficulties around the F+L rights or something or some shenanigans by Fox.

I really hope that we didnt go with this deal because we were trying to match the AFL, or because we told everyone early that we were going to get $1B and then were forced to take this deal to save face.

Diesel

Referee
I'd love to see the Broncs be defiant if 9 make them play Fridays when they dont want to and cut their sponsorship with Ch9 and sign with Ch7 as a jersey sponsor. Won't happen but it'd be a good way of NOT being selected to play on Fridays

Juniors
Are the games in VIC, SA, TAS, WA and NT on at the same time as NSW and QLD?

Is the schedule up to the NRL or do 9 and Fox still decide the schedule, if so is still the same as now (eg, 9 get 1st, 2nd and 5th choice)?

Frailty

First Grade
and thanks to yesterdays deal ..... they won't for the next 15 either ;-)

No you're right... They haven't dictated when we will play our games or who will be playing in them... They haven't dictated what is happening on expansion, or anything else.

We are in complete control of our game.

Spot On

Coach
Well, it would be very interesting if the Broncs fall in a hole, as they have done the past 5 weeks, for an extended period of time next season or a few seasons. Wonder how the ratings would be then.

That halves pairing they tried this year looked good for a while but you wouldn't pay 5 cents for them the second half of the season. Tough times ahead?????

gUt

Coach
F**k off. If it wasn't for the Donkeys, News Ltd wouldn't have had the game by the balls for the last 15 years.

To be serious for a second, before I had Fox I loved listening to the call on ABC Grandstand. I realise it's not for everyone but when you're working in the garden or playing in the park with the kids or whatever, in my opinion they give excellent coverage of the games.

Quidgybo

Bench
Is the schedule up to the NRL or do 9 and Fox still decide the schedule, if so is still the same as now (eg, 9 get 1st, 2nd and 5th choice)?

NRL needs to schedule as many Cowboys and Titans games on Friday night as they can just to tell Nine thanks for the cash but this is our game not yours
This is the key point and certain posters here are flying off the handle without really knowing the answer. What will the legal text of the contract actually say? Do they have to schedule the "Brisbane Broncos" or "a Queensland based team" on Friday night? Who has the final say on scheduling for the first 20 rounds, Nine or the ARLC? We know the networks will have some say but exactly how much? Can they say we want game x on FTA but the ARLC get to decide which slot that goes in - Friday or Sunday? Until those points are explicitly clarified, this is all just hot air.

Leigh.

Last edited:

user_nat

Coach
Well, it would be very interesting if the Broncs fall in a hole, as they have done the past 5 weeks, for an extended period of time next season or a few seasons. Wonder how the ratings would be then.

That halves pairing they tried this year looked good for a while but you wouldn't pay 5 cents for them the second half of the season. Tough times ahead?????

We fall in the exact same hole every year.

DJShaksta

First Grade
no of course it hasn't lost a single veiwer or fan ...it has grown expedentially in this period

& it will do the same over the next 5 years

& our starting price will be a billion dollars for the next deal ...
not 700 Mill like some pea brains in here would have

some of the tripe in this thread is hilarious
but when you see who's posting it
is it any wonder :lol::lol:

Tell us more about how the game has grown expedentially.

LJC

Juniors
The figure which is below what Aust Rules is getting is a dissappointment. If you assess the rugby leagues continued high ratings results on all television its almost a farce!
I hope that this next five years is seen as a period for consolidation and positioning for more teams through expansion.
Apparently the acting NRL CEO did state that the league was currently looking at strategic expansion.
Perhaps if the League gave these various franchises some dignity and confirmed that additional teams through expansion was on the agenda then may be their is hope for significant growth of the game.

With regards to some of the decisions on the TV rights, I can't help but think of the impact a 7.15pm grandfinal timeslot will do to fans of the game in New Zealand. They have no public holiday and will have to stay up very late to watch the gf. Might be good for WA though.

I noticed that the League has not looked at Saturday afternoon games which is another dissappointment. Instead they opted to go for 13 Sunday night games and still continue with Monday night games! I would have thought that replacing Monday night football with Sunday night football would have been the way to go. But no, instead they sought to abuse the clubs and the fans once again! Imagine the problems averted if Monday night football was gone!I am aware that Monday night footy rates great but this could be the same for Sunday night! Not only does a Saturday afternoon game combat other football codes product being aired without competition but surely a free to air avenue could have been worked out for Channel 9. A 4pm free to air televised game on Saturday and Sunday would have been a great outcome for the game.

Last edited:

jonno_knights

Juniors
I'd love to see the Broncs be defiant if 9 make them play Fridays when they dont want to and cut their sponsorship with Ch9 and sign with Ch7 as a jersey sponsor. Won't happen but it'd be a good way of NOT being selected to play on Fridays

Wouldnt That be a breach of some sort?

Just like the Bulldogs weren't able to have that Mobile Company (Strathfield? Optus retailer) on their jerseys a few years back, because Telstra kicked up a stink?

Although teams have been able to get away with Proton, Suzuki etc. when Toyota is a major sponsor, so not sure...

Latest posts