What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TV rights thread part 4

docbrown

Coach
Getting rid of the first and last rights is pretty big. But not huge. It was only ever a way of Nine ensuring they are kept in the loop for bidding, in case for some reason the NRL powers decided to remove Nine from the bidding equation altogether. Some of you make it out to be more than it is, as long as there are other entities bidding then it is not a big deal

Well you're right, it's hard to put a value on it.

But if there aren't other parties bidding, you're more likely to get screwed over anyway...

BuffaloRules

Coach
So basically what you're saying is F**k the kids, noone cares if they miss out? 64% of familiies don't have Foxtel,

Serious question - is there a stat that supports this?

I thought Foxtel penetration would be higher, particulary amongst families, and particularly in NSW and Qld...

firechild

First Grade
Lots of people around the northern beaches in this boat are there? I guess that's why they can't afford to travel into Sydney to watch their team go around?

f**k the poor, if they gave up the Maccas/KFC every night as well as the ciggies, booze and meth they could afford Foxtel.

I don't live on the Northern Beaches for a start but there are plenty of people there that can't afford Foxtel, have you looked at house prices there?

I don't smoke, I don't do drugs, I buy a case of beer every couple of months, I almost never eat fast food but I still can't afford Foxtel (unless I changed my mortgage repayment schedule but I think the mortgage gets priority). What should I give up? My son's daycare? Stop paying my gas bill? I'm hardly poor, we're a dual income family with respectable salaries.

Fire

First Grade
Gyngell is a poor man's Kerry Packer, and Packer was a wanker, so I don't know what that makes Gyngell.

Seriously, as the first 20 games will be fixed, we all better hold our judgements until the 2013 Draw is released. I have a feeling it'll be evenly spread between the three QLD teams, and whoever is in form will get the final six games each season.

Frailty

First Grade
Gyngell is a poor man's Kerry Packer, and Packer was a wanker, so I don't know what that makes Gyngell.

Seriously, as the first 20 games will be fixed, we all better hold our judgements until the 2013 Draw is released. I have a feeling it'll be evenly spread between the three QLD teams, and whoever is in form will get the final six games each season.

post-857-061721300%201290071620.jpg

Frailty

First Grade
I don't live on the Northern Beaches for a start but there are plenty of people there that can't afford Foxtel, have you looked at house prices there?

I don't smoke, I don't do drugs, I buy a case of beer every couple of months, I almost never eat fast food but I still can't afford Foxtel (unless I changed my mortgage repayment schedule but I think the mortgage gets priority). What should I give up? My son's daycare? Stop paying my gas bill? I'm hardly poor, we're a dual income family with respectable salaries.

Ignore the c**k smoker.

64% of families don't have foxtel... That doesn't even look at what percentage of those that do can afford a package with the sports channels.

The Gambler

Juniors

You can bet your bottom dollar that the Broncos will get the lions share of Queensland Friday night games next season.

Angry_eel

First Grade
Thinking about it this morning, its great. The game is cashed up. Lets see what they can do with it. Doesn't hurt to be optimistic.

BunniesMan

Immortal
If it is true the ARLC should be sacked for not accepting $800m from Ten for 4 FTA games. A vastly superior offer. The could have easily sold the other games for 200 million. Declining it shows gross incompetence.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
To everyone saying it costs $70 / $80 / $90 to get basic foxtel or with sports, you have all been sucked in by the Foxtel marketing. It is not that expensive.

Foxtel
- Get started pack, that is just the basic range of channels is only $45/mo ($540/yr, $10/wk)
- Get started + sport is $61/mo ($732/yr, $14/wk)
- Get started + sport + HD is $71/mo ($852/yr, $16/wk)

Foxtel on Xbox360 (assuming NRL will be shown just as the AFL is)
- Get started is $19.50/mo ($234/yr, $4.50/wk)
- Get started + sport + NRL is $49.50/mo ($594/yr, $11/wk). With no lock in contract you could get away with only $49.50 x 6/mo = $297/yr.

http://www.foxtel.com.au/discover/packages/build-your-own/default.htm
https://www.foxtel.com.au/xbox/default.htm

Yeah. But a lot of people who can't afford it spent their carbon tax rebates on HD 3D TV's in anticipation of more free to air games because SD is so shit. The TV's cost a grand - No money left for Foxtel after you've spent your latest govt handout on a new TV you didn't need.

Fair Dinkum - for those saying this will lose fans.....I am lost for words. You people are the "General Public" that is so often derided and with good reason.

Fire

First Grade
I guess so. I really should pay more attention to what's going on instead of the only the Dragons.

Panfas

Juniors
If it is true the ARLC should be sacked for not accepting $800m from Ten for 4 FTA games. A vastly superior offer. The could have easily sold the other games for 200 million. Declining it shows gross incompetence.
from my understanding the Channel 10 offer was for ALL RL games, which they would air 4 live on 10 and sell the rest to whoever. If it was $800m, that is what RL would get and 10 make money selling off the remaining games

Quidgybo

Bench
Ummm, $800m for all 8 games of which Ten wanted to screen four FTA. Ten would've then had to on sell four to Fox or another network. The ARLC wouldn't have seen another cent for Australian television rights beyond the original $800m.

Leigh.

Last edited:

andrew057

First Grade

800m would've been for every game.

gUt

Coach
Ignore the c**k smoker.

64% of families don't have foxtel... That doesn't even look at what percentage of those that do can afford a package with the sports channels.

Are you going to organize to send the Broncos a thank you cake for ensuring Channel 9 had to pay through the nose to broadcast our games and thus secure a larger grant to save your little club?

Happy Friday night viewing dear.

babyg

Juniors
I think it's a good deal.

The cash will help the clubs and will definitely help grass roots and kids. They can finally increase spending on development which is crucial.

First and last rights gone is a big win.

Don't mind the night grand final. They paid for it.

Latest posts